Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeyna

What should I be looking for as a newbee?

madeyna
9 years ago

I was reading the thread information overload and it occured to me that there are alot of things I should probly be on the look out for when looking for new hosta. I haven,t added a hosta to my beds for ten or so hears so the clumps I have are not only sizable but other than slug damage I consider fairly bomb proof. Is it safe to buy hosta at a box store if I know what to look for?

Comments (8)

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

I've had success with box store hostas when I didn't know what to look to for (HVX) in the early days, but now I prefer to order online from reputable nurseries and avoid the guessing game.

DD

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

No. You cannot go by looks alone. HVX can be present in a hosta for years w/o any outward signs. And the signs of the virus look different on some plants. You are taking a gamble purchasing a hosta from anyone who doesn't know where those original tc's came from and how they were handled by wholesalers along the way. Even so, many of us cannot pass up a bargain or a seemingly healthy hosta wherever we see one, so if you cannot resist, you just make sure that those are quarantined for a few years where they won't contaminate others. OR you can purchase a bunch of HVX strips for testing.

-Babka

• madeyna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Darn I was hoping to have something fun to shop for when dh is on the other side of the store buying boy stuff.

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

I'm fortunate to have a wholesale supplier that's very knowledgeable and only buys from reputable sources and what I don't get from her I do as DD does, buy mail order from reputable sources. Big box stores are run by accountants and will buy the cheapest product they can find. They only pay for the plants they sell so they have no great incentive to buy higher quality.

• ninamarie
    9 years ago

Why not make him take you to a quality nursery? It's more fun and it's a good way to learn.
    I think that at a quality nursery, plants are grown, rather than imported like tires and nails and lipstick.
    It needn't be just hostas - there is much to learn at any nursery that takes growing seriously.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

" Big box stores are run by accountants and will buy the cheapest product they can find. They only pay for the plants they sell so they have no great incentive to buy higher quality. "

Bingo!

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

knowledge is power.

learn, put it into practice. Find out what works best for you in your area, learn from that and enjoy.

and share your pix!

dave

• madeyna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I already checked ,the two nurserys nearest me are pretty muched wiped out for interesting hosta right now I think I got the last one a few days ago. I live in the cloudy rainy northwest so you would think there would be tons of varietys of hosta and hydrangea available but theres not. I make a trip to the Willament (sp?) valley area a few hours from here every year and go to the nurserys and display gardens down there. Its a two hour drive each way but well worth the trip.That valley grows more nursery plants than any other area in the country according to their pr anyway.