Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suneee

Before and After of Garden

I know that I like to see what people do and I thought I would post (brag) about my garden.This is my 2nd year.I am thrilled with how well everything is growing this year.Thanks to all the great help and advice and enabling I have gotten from all the great folks on this forum.I have another order coming tomorrow.Going to be tough but I will fit them in somewhere.

Thanks!
James
My neighbor is now helping me and she has a car!!!!

Before

View today from back door

Today

Comments (27)

• User
    9 years ago

Ah what a difference! It looks like a sanctuary, just beautiful.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Wow! Your hard work sure paid off. A little bit of heaven on earth.

DD

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Beautifully done James. You should be proud. It's such a peaceful and inviting garden now. The transformation is dramatic and will only become even more so with time.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Very nice job!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing. It's a great accomplishment.

I've had a tough year, as most all my backyard has been torn up by construction. My hosta are frying, as my neighbor had to cut down her elm tree and I haven't yet figured out the new plan. I hope mine works out as well as yours.

bk

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh my! The garden is just marvelous! You really have created a wonderful space! Had to look up where you are located-was guessing EU from the bikes and buildings. :)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Stoc, the transformation is ...well....seeing is believing!!!

What you have achieved is to be applauded! Take a bow, YES! You have accomplished in under two years what might take some 5 years...to have it look this established. This garden looks like it has been there a lot longer than two years. Very impressive. I am truly and properly wowed!

You must be so very pleased, James with the outcome. :-)

Jo

• hostanista
    9 years ago

I just love before and after shots. Such a sense of accomplishment! You did a great job, looks wonderful! (And a whole lot better than the before!)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

A labor of love and it shows! You should be VERY proud of that garden.

-Babka

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    9 years ago

Very, very nice! I love before and after shots to show how much change has taken place. Your hostas look happy as well as the other plants - a nice mixture of height, texture and color. Well done!
    Sheila

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

James that is a lush oasis which you and your neighbors must enjoy as will anyone wandering by. Excellent work.

Jon

• dbarron
    9 years ago

And you should brag...very nice!

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Such a peaceful place now. You did a wonderful job and should be very proud. Thanks for sharing with us all.
    Faye

• tnjdm
    9 years ago

Sweet

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Looks wonderful! I can only imagine all of the hard work you did. Although I guess it was totally a labor of love : )

Sherry

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

You should be very proud! You have created a great looking garden that brings a lot of beauty to the area!

Well done!
    Linda

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Beautiful transformation.

• Windhaven
    9 years ago

Very inspirational! Thanks for sharing and keep enjoying how lovely it all is!

• irawon
    9 years ago

That's an impressive transformation, Stoc. I like that you've integrated other plant material of varying heights and textures into your hosta garden plan. Everything looks lush and well cared for...quite an accomplishment for this time of year. You should feel very proud of what you have created not only for yourself but for others to enjoy as well.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

The before and after shots really show it off so well. What a wonderful difference to have that lush, green oasis. It's not only eye candy, it's soothing to the soul to be able to look out and see everything thriving.

If that's how it looks after two years you'll need to put your newbies into some of that lawn space. Pretty soon a lot of those hostas will be overlapping each other as they get more mature.

I say this because I'm surprised by how big some of my hostas are getting, and now I see that I underestimated how much space they need.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Is 'vacker' the right word?

Looks great, James!

Don B.

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Urban gardening at its best!
    Kathy

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to share this beautiful garden. I love seeing before and after shots. Your ability to visualize and create this lovely space from bare dirt is impressive!

• santamiller
    9 years ago

Amazing what some planning and hard work can do. Very well done!

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW!
    Thanks so much for all you kind comments.It really has amazed me how much everything grew.Especially noticeabel when I came back from 3 weeks in the states.

I don't know if it is all the light we get here in the summer but eveything has grown much faster that I anticipated.I am going to have do some moving around next Spring!

I don't really need all that lawn do I?
    It is my retreat in the city.I have always gardened since I was a kid but never have had a plot of land of my own to do what I want.This has fit the bill nicely.

Next year is year 3 which is leap year--I can't wait!!!

This post was edited by stoc on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 12:41

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

No, grass is overrated, James. I'm sure if you 'downsized' the lawn in favor of more hostas, no one will get upset. : )

You've created an awesome 'city retreat' for you and your neighbors. I'm sure they love it as well.

Please post pics of your newest order when you get it?

Cheers!
    Don B.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Don,
    Vacker is the right word for beautiful by the way.
    The order didn't get delivered won't get them until Monday.Poor things are sitting in the post office somewhere. .This happened once before and they were fine.
    I will post!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm