ken_adrian

how about pix of a well grown Lil Abner

come on peeps...

ken

Comments (7)

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Try McT, link below to a 2012 pic.

if only there were a search feature....lol ;-)

forum link- about half way down in discussion
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0106063513480.html

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful:

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Well... not quite as much a hijack as my previous post... but you did say "well grown" - and mine doesn't qualify.

Too much hot sun - facing southwest... a week in the 90s with a strict watering ban... plant divided in spring with divisions replanted in the back... weeds... burned edges...

The pick is greatly enlarged - this is from what I call my "walkaround" photo series, where I just try to get a basic documentation of the beds without trying to get a good portrait of each plant.

Still... you can see Li'l Abner's primary appeal for me... and the reason my love wanes as the season goes on... in spring it has a very striking contrast of a bright green - my mom called it forest green - and a brassy yellow margin. Very striking... remininiscent of the margin on Opipara Koriyama...

unfortunately, the margin goes to white, while later foliage has the yellow margin... so even if it wasn't all burned up, it will have a pretty mixed up look by midsummer...

and there is that nasty little apostrophe I misplace all the time...

So I like Li'l Abner - but not as much as some folks...

• Lee
    10 years ago

Not sure if its "well grown" enough.. anyway... here is the pic :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mels looks gigantic compared to mine and the smaller versions ...

do you have it on steroids.. or heavy fert ...

thanks for the pix ...

ken

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Not sure how well grown this is. . Li'l Abner got frost bite early on this spring. He's in sun until one thirty or two and seems to take it in stride. Pretty hardy fella here.
    That's Neat and Tidy in the background to give you a bit of size comparison. Sorry for the late posting.. been pretty busy this year. . whew. .

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Ken: you sayin' you have the same probs w/ lil abner as I do w/ great expectations?

*out to search for lil abner*

dave

• User
    10 years ago

If you mean a "search feature" on Flickr, there is. BUUT, you must enter the TAGS for each picture. That is what I do when I take my pictures, and use Paint Shop Pro to add the tags before I upload to Flickr. It takes a lot of time to be complete, but I try to add the hosta NAME at the very least. In the case of Myrle's Lil Abner, I searched her Flickr uploads and did nto find that hosta. Words/names on the pictures do not count as TAGS.

I had every one of my 2012 photos tagged, but naught remains since the drive they were stored on (and backed up on) went kaput on me. ONly the photos now on Flickr from 2012 remain. Bummer.

However, I googled Lil Abner and this thread and the picture you linked to are shown at the top of that search with the picture shown in "Images" ....the Hosta Forum is quickly checked by the Google bot ....sometimes/usually? within minutes of being posted.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths