Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Hoping for another ID on a mini-hosta

alison
10 years ago

With your help, I've filled in a lot of question marks among my hostas, and I'm hoping you can help me ID this one. It's a small, bright green-gold that a friend gave me 3 years ago. I've been growing them in the ground near the edge of the walkway, but I put this one in a raised pot so I can enjoy it more. That (of course!) has got me wondering what it is....

Comments (17)

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to include a tape measure or something else to show scale, but this is about 4" high and 5" around. The other minis in the picture are Tiny Treasure at the top, and Twist of Lime to the left.

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

How big is the one in the ground? That will give people a better idea of the true size of the plants and leaves.

Compare it to pictures of Golden Scepter, the solid yellow sport of Golden Tiara to see if they are the same as your NOID in the ground. If not that then check out pictures of Cheatin Heart.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Probably Appletini. All the "tini's" look the same to me.

Steve

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

It looks much smaller than Golden Scepter...does it have reddish dots on the petioles from crown up about 1 1/2" by any chance?

If you were to measure the leaf size of the plant.....I see various lengths...choose a leaf whose size predominates in the clump...describe the texture/substance if you can....I'd like to take a stab at it then...thnx :-). May have something similar here.

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses! No red spots, and Golden Scepter is much larger, but Appletini is a possibility.

I will measure the leaves tomorrow, but my memory is they are about 4" long and 2" wide. I'll try to take a picture of the ones in the ground as well; they're about a third smaller, but they are in a shady corner and partly overshadowed by some heuchera.

Thanks for the help -- you folks are great!

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

It doesn't look like 'Appletini' to me. The leaves aren't shiny enough.

I think it looks more like 'Cheatin' Heart'.

• User
    10 years ago

Well, let's see. I have a new Cheatin Heart, acquired this year anyway. It is a lovely gold hosta, quite small.

Incidentally, Twist of Lime is going to bet pretty full, and it is a great hosta. It is going to take over that pot very soon. :)
    Nothing slow about it.

Here's my 1 year old Cheatin Heart.

and again in July

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now, it does look like that. I googled images of Cheatin' Heart and the leaves looked much more.. well... heart-like than mine, which are pretty smooth ovals. But it does look like a lot like the pictures above.

Puzzlement. I'll see if I can get a better picture of the leaves and the measurements tonight.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Limey Lisa would be another candidate.

By the way... your Twist of Lime - isn't. twist of Lime is the same color as it's parent, Lemon Lime - yellow to chartreuse... with thin irregular dark green margins. Actually, the margin tends to fade so it can be impossible to tell Twist of Lime from Lemon Lime.

There are a couple in the family that have names that are the darker green... Lemon Delight is mostly dark green with a yellow margin... and the darker green with white margin is called Lime Fizz... funny, that one is not shown in the sport registry at .be but Lime Meringue is listed as green with white.

no listing for an all green sport from Lemon Lime or any of the subsequent sports... and oddly enough, after 20 years or more experience with these, I've never gotten an all dark green sport.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

My Twist of Lime from 2001 is always lighter green with darker green irregular margins. Similar to to a real lime that has a darker skin and a lighter center, so it is well named, and that is why I bought it in the first place. As the season goes on that darker green edge is more difficult to see, but with a closer look it is definitely there. Generally in moderate shade for me. The one pictured doesn't look correct, as Idiot He has suggested.

-Babka

• jeanne
    10 years ago

The yellow one looks like Dawn, which I have taken to the swap. It should have red spots on the stems. The green one looks like one of my earlier culls. If you get any hostas from the plant swap with a mini blind tag that says 'seedling', it isn't named.

• User
    10 years ago

What swap are you referring to?

• User
    10 years ago

What swap are you referring to?

• User
    10 years ago

You know, this is getting aggravating!
    It throws up this small window asking me to open or save and I won't do either. Not on MY computer you don't.......

It's messing up the flow of the forum.
    Please, GardenWeb, straighten this out.

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're right, jeanne; you did tell me this was a seedling, not a named-plant-without the name.

And it's a great one! In my garden it's officially "Jeanne's Golden Mini"

A bit of cross-talk there, mocassinlanding; Jeanne and I live in the same area, and I've gotten some really great plants from her at the Central Ohio spring and fall plant swaps. (The Belle of Crecy is busy working her way up the back porch post!)

The Twist of Lime came from someone who I'm pretty sure told me she'd bought a Twist of Lime, and gave me a little split of that. It does have a dark green rim, but that doesn't necessarily mean it really is Twist of Lime.

• jeanne
    10 years ago

The Central Ohio Plant Swap and Potluck meets spring and fall in Columbus, Ohio. The spring swap is huge, usually over 100 people. The fall swap is a dozen or so folks. There's usually a thread in the get-togethers forum but lately we've been doing a lot of our chatting on FB.

HTH.

• jeanne
    10 years ago

Hey Alison, I didn't see your reply when I made mine. I've got a huge Twist of Lime, I'll get you a start of it next month.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz