Aomori Gold Star

Lipstick Blonde

Clear Fork River Valley

Silver Threads and Gold Needles

...feel free to post your seed pods!

Comments (28)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Great pics as usual, Luuk. That Lipstick Blonde is showing some very cool-looking pods!

Don B.

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Yes luuk. Once again you've not only presented us with beautiful, artistic photography but I now have a much greater appreciation for seed pods. And to think I've been cutting off the flower stalks after the blooms are spent. You have a very impressive group of hosta's there. Please keep sharing your photographic eye with us.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Cherry Berry pods.

• luuk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don and Mac, thanks, ...I am glad that you enjoyed the photos. I like to observe the small details that are easily missed, if I could I would get into the plant.

Thanks Josy, pods all red are really nice, ...will flourish the sky or you sow them?

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    9 years ago

Hey Luuk, great photos.
    How old is your Well Shaked?
    I have one that is about 3 years old and has never flowered.
    Do you know if the seeds are viable ?
    David

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Good morning, LUUK! Well, I guess they will serve ... BOTH! The five pods are laying on the ground beside the plant, sheltered a bit by the larger green hosta. I am hoping they will germinate in the spring :-)
    I inadvertently had an "accident" while digging around and they were broken off prematurely...we will see if they sprout.

Your Well Shaked pods look like hybrid cucumbers! These are all beautiful
    pods and you snapped them so perfectly....you are so right...it is all in the details. Your pictures are inspirational. You've just demonstrated that all pods aren't just a plain green in our gardens. CFRV has a tiny upside-down crown/tiara on its pod!

Josy :-)

• luuk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

David, even mine have 3 years.
    Last year has made only 1 little pod, from the seeds that I have sow only 2 have sprouted, 1 is streaked and the other solid green. This year has made 4 scapes with 63 pods.
    ...give to your plant just a little more time :-)

• User
    9 years ago

I know I've seen a lot of seed pods in previous years, but this year the ONLY seed pods I see are on my Humpback Whale. I've never bothered gathering seeds but I'm tempted to try this year, wondering what would come out of those HW pods.

• User
    9 years ago

Luuk, is the expression your own, a Chinese proverb, a Haiku poem? It is a joyful statement where ever it originates.

I would think it appropriate for a garden plaque, and wish to make one, attributing it to you or to the source.

May the Source be with you. :)

I have some extraordinary seed pods too, and love the way they look. For the photos, I must drag out my tripod though. I cannot do justice hand held while zoomed in.

I'll be back. Too good a photo subject to miss. Consider it documenting what is potentially fertile. And such a great excuse to browse the garden on a nice cool (75F) morning after a 2 inch rain overnight. No watering today!
    See you guys later. I'm outta here!

Here is one to hold my place until I get back.
    Fried Green Tomatos. Fragrant. 2014 Aug.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Moc,

I'm guessing you have seedlings all over ???

Jon

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I don't understand the point of the post? 99percent of all seeds will produce plain green seedlings,unles the pod parent is streaked;then you may get a streaked baby. We all get seed pods this time of year. Phil

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Luuk you make me want to get out the SLR and take some proper pics but for now I just have iPhone pics. How about some seed pods to be? I like the flower buds of hyuga urijaro here

• luuk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thistle, is a surprise, no one knows what comes out!

Mocc, I'm not the author of this wonderful aphorism, his name is Ivan Tresoldi, is a street poet from Milan, he write poems on the walls around the city, ...this is the aphorism in italian: "Chi getta semi al vento farÃÂ fiorire il cielo".
    I express myself better with pictures, drawings and colors.
    ...I'm curious to see pics of your seed pods!

Phil, the point of the post is to observe the pods closely :-)

Mac, nice! ...I also have a little Hyuga Urajiro, from a few days has started showing a flower bud.

• User
    9 years ago

I have to chime in hosta freak - that question makes no sense to me. The point of any post here is to enjoy all aspects of growing and observing our hostas through the season. As the season winds down, now it's seed pods. :)

• User
    9 years ago

Mac, your latest photo is as pointy leafed as a soft tipped Yucca. Looked twice to verify a hosta.

My tablet has predictive spelling, had to rewrite much to get words right. It turned YUCCA into WICCA....for example.

I took seeded shots until it rained again, must finish tomorrow.

Jon, no seedlings anywhere since I collected pods last year. I doubt falling on shredded cypress mulch keeps them growing if they could sprout. I plan a spot for volunteer seeds in latest installment of my HOSTA garden. I know the pod parents for them , will keep them grouped as much as I can. Lots of pods on fragrant HOSTA this year. Fertile? I must figure it out. My new streakers set no pods this year...no blooms...only time will tell.

• User
    9 years ago

Tonoko Tachi...I have two and both have pods.

Gosan Sunproof...multiple scapes, with pods

Volcano Island

Jade Stone, fragrant hosta

Jabulani, heat dormant still has this scape

Hypoleuca set pods, big surprise

Nakaiana

Munchkin, the all green version of Masquerade mini, hope they are fertile

Fried Green Tomatos some big pods

Austin Dickinson is fragrant with pods not many but some

Mississippi Delta, an Olga, set pods this year

Ventricosa Albomarginata

Sweet Susan fragrant

Fried Bananas out of 2 pots, only 1 set pods

Golden Meadows...has anyone else had it set pods?

Purple Passion dark purple pods on each of my 4 plants

More pictures tomorrow as I go into the major fragrant section of the garden. I'll do it early.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I was harvesting scapes mostly for the garbage. Surprise, after so many years finally I realized all I need to do is break scapes off. 95% do not need to be cut off. That will eliminate any accidental spreading of viruses and nematodes. For the few which did not break and had to be cut off I used shears which I had bathed and brushed.in 10% bleach.
    Bernd

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Always a good idea, Bernd.

Question, sir: Do you ever bother growing seeds you've harvested from your own personal garden, or do you strictly grow seeds you acquire from other folks? Just curious.

Thanks,
    Don B.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Great idea Luuk! I love seeing the photos of the pods! Your thread made me go outside and have another look at my own hosta pods. I don't think I have any interesting ones. I especially liked seeing the dark pods---yours, Jo's and Mocc's Purple Passion hosta. Need to get me some of those hosta!

I have really enjoying your closeup photos Luuk. You have a good eye.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Don, last November for the first time I grew seeds from own hybridizing using a streaked plant which was my own seedling, I got seeds several years ago from Mr. Hosta and Trudy and others, last year also from Dan. All of those produced some nice streaked and single color plants. I also bought seeds at auctions on the Hosta Library last winter. This year I might buy some seeds from Hosta Works and an auction, use own seeds from plants like 'Blueberry Waffels'. This year I have a stable (so far) center variegated sport of a streaked seedling!

Once Nov.15 approaches I am sure I will be growing something. The alternative is staring at snow and minus temperatures.
    Bernd

• luuk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mocc, many thanks for all photos that you posted, the pod of Sweet Susan looks huge and I love the dark purple of Purple Passion ...really nice.

NHL, thanks, I'm glad you liked the pictures, post a pic if you find a special pod ;-)

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

The only one that is different then the green pods and the dark brown pods besides the Cherry berry pods, I have the ones on Dream Weaver which are white so are a bit different

Not necessarily beautiful in ,my eyes but it is fun to see all the baby hosta come up under the mother plants the following summer. I am not sure what to do with a bunch of green seedlings but possibly can give then to someone that is just wanting easy plants to grow and not a dedicated gardener. Who knows , it may make them interested enough to try a few other hosta down the road and get hooked like the rest of us

9 years ago

So I did another tour of the garden looking for a pod picture. I found a hosta that has pinkish white pods---Great Expectations.

And Bernd, I didn't know I could just break off scapes with my own hands! I do like doing it by hand rather than cutting with a knife. Thanks for passing along that info!

9 years ago

And why not in black and white?

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Bernd.
    I sometimes break off the flower stakes too but was ashamed to tell all you great hosta growers. I have broke off leaf stems the same way if they look scraggley. Seems like extra steps for notthing to go back to the house and get the nippers. . There ....another 10 step declared
    Faye

• luuk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Almosth, thanks for posting the white pods. For the next season I will sow as much as possible, I hope to have some unusual seedling.

NHL, what a wonderful photo!!! I allowed myself to adding a little color, I hope you don't mind ;-)

• User
    9 years ago

Luuk, I don't know exactly what you did, but the photo is like 3D now. It was lovely before, now the pods pop out at me.

And look at the DROPS! NHL, you are HOOKED ON HOSTA PICTURES..... Nothing prettier IMHO.

9 years ago

Luuk, I am glad you added a touch of color on my photo. You definitely improved it! It is nice to see the ideas of others.

You are right Moc---I am "HOOKED ON HOSTA PICTURES!" LOL The hail we had a couple of weeks ago slowed me down as many of my hosta are damaged. I have grown to truly appreciate the art of photography in my journey---and even more so, fall hosta photography. A photo of fall hosta colors, with unblemished leaves is quite an effort. One of my favorite fall photos is one of Sagae in 2012. Last year I waited for the moment to be able to take another Sagae photo, but the colors never really happened due to our late frost date. And this year Sagae has rabbit damage and now has hail damage. I can really appreciate that one photo in 2012! If only I had taken a better shot of it!

There is a lot to learn about photography. So Luuk thanks for sharing your knowledge and giving me an opportunity to learn.