Return to the Hosta Forum

o
Companion/Accent Plantings for the Hosta Garden (pic heavy)

Posted by paul_in_mn 4b (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 13:59

Please share pics of your favorite accent plants in your hosta gardens.

A few to start -

'Branford Beauty' Fern - nice dusty color for contrast
Fern - Athyrium 'Branford Beauty' (2)(06)-002

'Sun King' Aralia - 3rd season, will get to 3'x3'; stays yellow all season. This one is in lots of shade. Follage dies back in winter.
Aralia cordata 'Sun King' (11)

'Sea Heart' Brunnera - new, still in pot looking for a shady spot. 'Jack Frost' is another good growing variety that is similar.
Brunnera 'Sea Heart' (13)

'Gold Heart' Bleeding Heart - another nice yellow/gold for the shade. In my Minnesota garden Gold Heart does not go dormant.
In bloom-
Bleeding Heart - Dicentra 'Gold Heart' (2)(09)-001
Bleeding Heart - Dicentra 'Gold Heart' (2)(09)-002

'Raspberry Splash' Pulmonaria - great blooming colors early and then spectacular leaf markings as leaves emerge and push down the scapes.
Blooms in May
Pulmonaria - 'Raspberry Splash' (Lungwort) (2)(06&11)-002
Leaves in August (part shade)
Pulmonaria - 'Raspberry Splash' (Lungwort) (2)(06&11)-001

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion/Accent Plantings for the Hosta Garden (pic heavy)

Heuchera Brownie and Hakone Grass along side a small Liberty.

o

Here's the same bed when the Korean Lilac was in bloom in early June.

o

• Posted by stoc none (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 14:58

Beautiful!

o

Paul-I love that pulmonaria! I'm going to have to put that on my want list.

Hostanista-that Korean Lilac is beautiful!

I like astilbe, ferns, acanthus Mollis and hellebores for companion plants, but I don't have any pics right now.

I also have lots of heuchera as companion plants in my hosta beds. Here are a few of my faves:

Heuchera 'Mahogany'

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 15:16

o

Heuchera 'Pinot Gris'

o

Heuchera 'Berry Smoothie'

o

Heuchera 'Citronelle'

o

Heuchera 'Plum Pudding'

o

Heuchera 'Spellbinder'.

Mine's new this year, so the biggest leaf is only 4" across. Next year, I expect some of the leaves to reach 8"!

o

Heuchera 'Fire Chief'. On this one, unlike some heuchs, the bloom is really nice. Not the fastest grower, but worth it for the color.

I could go in and on, but I mustn't hog up the thread! Lol

o

Oh man, wait til I get home and get out my camera!

Ok, I couldn't wait. This is for Zone 6a Nova Scotia.

Here's a young Dancing Peacock JM acontinifolium. Cool green fernlike leaves in summer, fabulous red in fall, red twigs in winter and these cool berry like pods in spring. Looks really nice over a bed of japanese grasses and hostas
Spring

Fall

Campanula Waterfall - what a champ. Bloomed all summer into November for me and clumps unlike some nightmare campanula.
November pic...

H Macra Nicolas - attractive red-tinged green leaves, a bit nicer/smaller/more colorful than Beni Kaze, doesn't spread like bloodgrass (but a lot more subtle than bloodgrass)
September pic...

This post was edited by robotropolis on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 15:49

o

PS Paul your pulmonaria is WAY nicer than my stuff, I may have to look for some varieties with narrower leaves. Mine looks unpleasantly like diseased lungs. On the plus side, it grows everywhere.

o

Heukera Snow Angel is one of my favorites. It started blooming in May and still has bright coral flowers on the long stocks

o

robo, in my conditions a little sun (part shade or morning light) helped my pulmonaria. I have 'Mrs. Moon' growing in quite a bit of shade - it seems to like to roam a bit and grow offshoots and seedlings vs 'Raspberry Splash' seems more clumping and taller.

Here's Mrs. Moon- 2011 in bloom
Pulmonaria saccarata 'Mrs. Moon' (09)-002

and this year early - it has spread out (even with a few plants removed)
Pulmonaria saccarata 'Mrs. Moon' (09)-1

Paul

o

June with crowd pleaser h macra aureola

o

Stiletto with phlox stolonifera sherwood purple. Sadly the phlox's flowers are long gone but this has been an absolutely stellar shade groundcover for me. Very subtle but a nice green creeper wirth cute little purple flowers in spring. Looks green and not tatty the rest of the time and unlike moss phlox tolerates shade well. Trails attractively and grows fairly quickly.

o

Pulmonaria ..silver bouquet is another of my companions I like

o

H. Majesty with Heuchera Paris (with nice pink blooms if the rabbits leave them alone)
Majesty May 2013 photo IMG_2680_zps59c953ac.jpg

H. Sagae with Heucheras Frost and Obsidian
Sagae May 2013 photo IMG_2679_zps3cf5db5f.jpg

Heuchera Frost, nice violet color
Frost May 2013 photo IMG_2689_zpse33f4c73.jpg

Dianthus with a young H. Stained Glass
Fire witch dianthus June 2013 photo IMG_2690_zpsdd1ee0d4.jpg

H. Sun Power with daylilly
Sun Power 28 July 1013 photo IMG_2696_zpsb22eca94.jpg

o

Lady in Red fern. Picture is not showing just how bright a red the stems are but very showy

o

Some of my favorite companion plants this time of the year, surprise lilies.

Sandy

o

Tiarella, Lady ferns, and more surprise lilies but the rain knocked them down.

Sandy

o

More surprise lilies, tiger lilies around the big tree have bloomed already but they were manificent; solomon's seal and the ground cover on the left is saxifraga sarmentosa (strawberry begonia).

Sandy

o

And some of my favorites, around the base of a stump. Ok, I didn't plant these, they were a gift from Mother Nature but I love their delicacy. Lots of really neat mushrooms and fungi this year.

Sandy

o

Disporum sessile (Japanese Fairy Bells) with First Frost and Guacamole.

Sandy

o

Malaysian Monarch and Astilbe which complement each other. The astilbe is planted throughout the garden (but I can't remember its name) along with ajuga ground cover. Things are kind of bare on the right where some azaleas were removed ad replaced with hosta.

o

Hydrangea Blushing Bride with Great Expectations. I like how the hydrangea blooms brighten up a shady garden.

o

Ligularia species (This one is "Desdemona") are vigorous growers and love the same conditions as hostas. The nice yellow flowers in late July early August. (this pic was taken about a month ago). are a bonus. There is also a Lamium behind it. The large green hosta is "Elizabeth Campbell" Which looks a lot nicer in the spring and a first year "June Fever"

o

How are people getting along with sweet woodrufff in their hosta beds? I think my hosta are too big to strangle...right?

o

What a bunch of great pics, everyone. Not sure if this is a Branford Beauty or a Ghost fern, but I like it with 'Spring Fling'.

Don B.

o

robo - Sweet Woodruff is too much for minis, kinda distracting for small smalls, otherwise fine here, though I do have to rip it away from the plant labels twice a year - not difficult. Doesn't seem to 'strangle' other reasonable sized plants. I did have to rescue Jeffersonia Twinleaf from it this year, though, along with a Spotty Dotty. fwiw

o

Christmas Fern

o

Victoria Fern

o

a Maidenhair fern

This post was edited by hostahillbilly on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 2:46

o

Goat's Beard (I think of it as Astilbe on steroids without the extensive watering requirement).

o

Goat's Beard blossoms - bee heaven.

o

Sweet Cicely - best fragrance in the garden until the Oriental Lilys bloom.

o

Ladybells

o

Coral Bells - sorry bad pic

o

Coral Bells flowers

o

Meadow Rue

o

Campanula percifolia

o

Alliums, all sorts.

o

wild orchids

o

Oriental lilys - lots of pattern varieties available and the fragrance covers the garden between the Sweet Cicely flowering season until the fragrant Hostas bloom.

o

Foxgloves

o

Columbine - several colors available

o

old fashioned bleeding heart white flowered

o

Jacob's Ladder

o

Lady Slipper

o

forget-me-nots

o

Lamium (dead nettle) - two variagation patterns shown here surrounding this Hosta group

o

Lamium

o

Baneberry - becomes 'doll's eyes'

o

there are so many unusual Alliums

o

Persicaria Bistora Supreme about to bloom

o

Epimedium - Rubrum

Paul

o

I am really enjoying this thread. Thanks everyone!

Now vivian_2010 has provided us with a photo of her Frost heuchera. I would like to mention that that is a mini heuchera. Terra Nova Nurseries (TNN) has introduced these just this year (I now have two of them) and I just love them. They are the Little Cuties Series If you haven't heard of them, TNN claims that they have:

• Ever blooming habit
• Long season of interest
• Bred to have vigor and many crowns to fill a pot
• Just the right size for mixed containers
• Perfect for fairy gardens and rock gardens
• Can be used as houseplants!

Houseplants??? They vary in size, but the largest is not supposed to grow more that about 10" wide.

I have provided a link with TNN's photos.

I have a photo of my Peppermint heuchera and have inserted a photo of my Frost on the upper right.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.terranovanurseries.com/growers/heucheralittlecutieseries-c-82_23_239.html

o

Also, I am loving my Fire Alarm heuchera. I think it looks great next to dark leaves or yellow hostas. Just got it this year so I can't tell you if I will be successful growing it. That's why I only got one. But heck I want another!

o

Oh, so many beautiful photos! I am in the (cyber) presence of gardening greatness, that's for sure!

The question about sweet woodruff has me worried now. I planted sweet woodruff and corsican mint in the bed closest to my patio so we could enjoy the fragrances, but June and Dream Queen are on either side of the still small sweet woodruff. So far the SW is not doing much, but if it has hosta strangling potential I can move it...hmm...

o

Beautiful photos with excellent ideas! I have been pondering ordering epimedium and perusing the selections online. I have a few in mind.

DD

o

I, too am really enjoying this thread - lots of great ideas here. I am making a list for next year. Thanks everyone!

o

Speaking of mini heuchera for companion plants, here's 'Blondie'. This one has nice, dark leaves for great contrast with hostas and is topped with interesting, busy yellow flowers. It's only supposed to get about 6 inches in width. The leaves are smaller than the ones on most heuchera as well. That's H. 'June' in the background.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 12:08

o

Tiarella - 'Sugar and Spice' - Pic is from mid-June and still a small amount of blooming going on today.

Paul

o

Thank you all for the nice pictures as they for sure have inspired new ideas for me.

Newhostalady, I am glad you also like Heuchera Frost. I planted last fall as a bonus plant from a 3 inch pot from CASITA AZUL. It sure has been robust. My camara cannot capture the unique color, veines and texture. I have it under a Hosta Sagae along the front door entrance. So Frost is THE plant that catches my eyes and makes me smile every time I walk by. I have several other kinds of Heucheras in the same garden and none of them have gave me that kind of feeling.

Your Fire Alarm looks beautiful! I planted mine from CASITA AZUL last fall. It came out much later than others but it has grown well for me after the slow start, similar in size and color to yours so can't wait for it to be bigger.

Flower Frenzy inspired me to get a Berry Smoothie after seeing her pictures. Look forward to seeing it compete with Frost for my attention..........

Vivian

o

Thanks flower-frenzy for posting a picture of the mini heuchera "Blondie." I am torn about getting "Blondie" or "Sugar Berry." Did you just get your "Blondie" this year? Also, it seems to me that "Fire Alarm" and "Fire Chief" are quite similar.

Vivian, I love the look of the mini heucheras. I think the pop of color that the minis provide can really add to the garden setting. And thanks for the compliment on "Fire Alarm." Regarding "Berry Smoothie," I can see why you wanted to purchase it. I love those colors too! You've got a beauty flower- frenzy.

o

I think SW is more just a little rambunctious for smaller plants (like said above, mini or small hosta). You can look about 2/3 down this thread for mctavish's nice photo of sweet woodruff and hosta. It will grow and spread though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet woodruff discussion here

o

A new one for me, just planted a couple days ago. Wild Begonia, Large leaves with red on back, pink blooms. I'll see how this does next year.

o

What no Primrose/Primula growers?

Here's Primula kisoana (I think), bought a couple over the last few year at a garden club plant sale...which means... it grows well and multiples....lol....since that is the majority of plants you find at these sales.

I was surprises at how well it spreads and clumps and how big the leaves got. Nice deep pink flowers early in the season that keep blooming for quite a while. Not sure if it seeds or is rhizomatous - I suspect both.

Primula kisoana (11&12)

Mature Leaves - ruffled and slightly fleshy
Primula kisoana (11&12)-005

Paul

o

Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla mollis) - soft cool green blooms and folded serated leaves as they open. Rabbits have been known to like this one in early spring.

Paul

o

Paul---I'm getting the feeling that you pretty much have all the good companion plants at your place! Great choices.

o

Newhostalady-I think 'Sugar Berry' looks very much like 'Berry Smoothie', except for the size of course. 'Fire Alarm' and 'Fire Chief' are very much alike, except I find 'Fire Chief' to be a better grower and its color is a bit more intense, at least in my garden. 'Blondie' is much different than all of those. The leaves are really more of a deep mahogany color, as opposed to purple or red. The yellow flowers are a definite attention-getter and stand out nicely against the dark foliage. It's a good grower, too.

o

Thanks for the info flower-frenzy! I hope I don't become a heucheraholic too, as my garden is too small. But we will just have to see . . .

o

Heucheraholic...lol....I like it. It's too late for me!

o

I've got lots of ladys mantle too -- although mine tends to prefer the places with more sun, I think. One nice thing about it when you have lots of garden to fill -- lots of volunteers if you let it go!

I have bee balm growing in a sunnier part of my yard with some more vigorous/sun tolerant hosta (I have no full sun -- bah). I know it spreads but it sure is pretty! I think I've seen it coming up THROUGH hosta in other people's yards so maybe it's not the best companion ever...

o

Variegated liriope is a favorite of mine. Seems to always look good, sun or shade. Here are hosta, ferns and liriope.

Don B.

o

Don, being another 6aer, how cold hardy are your liriope? They're not very common around here but I like the look of them (I latch onto anything grassy-looking that'll grow in the shade)

o

No issues at all with them here, Robotropolis. They keep coming up every spring and look good doing it. : )

Don B.

o

Good LORD, how did I miss this thread! I had to scroll to eternity to get to the bottom here, and now I gotta go back and read what your comments are.

I can say that this is one of the prettiest and most informative thread about companions to the hosta. Hosta by themselves are prone to be a static collection. It is when these companions come in, to draw out the best in each hosta.....that it becomes an artful garden. Your examples are awesome, and I do so admire that you can grow these things.

Reality here is, I grow them sitting among ferns and liriope with spanish moss hanging from the camellia treelets. With jasmine creating a privacy fence 7 feet tall and 100 feet long. That the hosta which will go in the ground along my driveway will share the bed with holly fern, asparagus fern, bamboo, two kinds of palms, three kinds of banana, two angel trumpets, cassia, alocasia and colocasia, more liriope, and aspidistra. It will be a grand undertaking methinks, with hosta being the big surprise to my neighbors....who if they ever saw a hosta it had to be a green one or a green and white one.

Yesterday (and today) I was reading Modern Tropical Garden Design. What do I see first picture in the book? Three giant HOSTA among the palms, boulders, bananas and yes, liriope. They looked surprisingly comfortable and content in this SUBTROPICAL well-tended garden space. It wasn't in Trinidad or any place IN THE TROPICS but instead at a subtropical place---like us in Mobile, we're called "subtropical" I do think. Seeing them in a landscape design book though, it made me proud! Honest to goodness, a moment of pride. I AM DOING THAT.

o

Trying to find a better pic, Robo; can't believe this is the best pic I have of it. Oh well, I have a couple clumps that are getting pretty good-sized. It resists late frosts really well, too. Breaks dormancy later than most of the hosta do. Divides easily as well. Just all-around tough stuff.

Don B.

o

There you are! Hi Mocc, what's bloomin'? : )

Don B.

o

European Ginger

o

Hepatica, one of my favorites. Very slow to increase but I love the little blue/purple flowers in the spring and it looks pretty good all summer.

Sandy

o

Rodgersia, big bold leaves with an astilbe type bloom.

Paul

o

Is this liriope? Got it at a horticultural society plant sale. I think it may just look nice with my hostas. I think this plant is suffering a bit from dryness probably due to the Birch tree roots. I'll divide it next spring.

o

I have 3 or 4 of these but lost my tag as to what they are. Soft to touch and look like the are a swirl kind of growth. Anyone know what they may be?

o

It could be the variegated liriope, or, it could be the Aztec grass, which is a bit finer bladed but also has the variegation. I have some liriope which is about 20-24 inches tall, solid green, wide bladed. It blooms with lavender flowers, then makes fertile seeds/fruits which turn from green to purple. I also have some liriope which is just "normal" sized.

In my zone, it is the bordering plant for my flower beds and walkways. It is evergreen here. I'm glad to know that it is able to go dormant in the winter and come back in the spring. It is, of course, a lily, and it can spread by underground runners as well as the little bulbuls.

I also use aspidistra, which is included in the picture too. It comes variegated as well as solid, but it takes maturity to show its white stripes. I got mine from Plant Delights Nursery several years ago, and it is beginning to stripe for me now.

o

Great thread. Lots of outstanding plants to use. I'm surprised no one has posted Solomon's Seal. This is the variegated version.

Steve

o

This Hydrangea who I call Molly ( for my mom who passed on about 9 years ago) This was one of the flowers at her memorial and then planted in my garden. She overlooks all my hosta beds and is a very special one to me

This post was edited by almosthooked on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 20:56

o

Squirejohn-I love the European Ginger. It reminds me of tiny lily pads. Is it evergreen?

o

Thanks moccasinlanding for the information on liriope!

This spring I purchased a Male Robust Fern and planted it in a spinout bag (due to the cedar hedge roots). It is doing very well in deep shade and has put on quite a bit of growth.

o

NHL, that scene with the Male Robust Fern, the blue hosta, the opalescent rabbit and little girl, it is a beautiful silhouetted scene. You must use black mulch too, which brings forward the featured items, and fades the rest entirely from view. I like it when that happens! :)

BTW, isn't that the road beyond your board fence? Where the horse was politely taking a stroll?

o

Very nice ideas everyone. I wonder what that fluffy looking one is that Faye has? I don't remember even seeing it at her house before.

As far as the Sweet Woodruff goes it sure does spread everywhere but is not something that chokes the hostas. I love the look of it when it's blooming in the spring.

Another one that I find everywhere is the yellow bleeding heart. Originally I thought it was only for shade but I now find it seeded and thriving on the west side of the house growing between landscape bricks that become boiling hot in the afternoon sun. It is ever blooming and easy care.

This year my Impatiens have done better than any other annuals. It is probably my favorite accent plant. I use different colors depending on the place but red is the best. In my eyes it is the perfect compliment for any of the shades of hosta. It's like taking a red paint brush and outlining your plantings.

5-14-13 (15)

7-12-13 (1)

7-17-13 (14)

7-12-13 (3)

7-12-13 (14)

7-8-13 (55)

Red Impatiens Aug 2013

o

Sedum (will bloom soon)

o

variagated Sedum

o

Indian Plantain (left center, tall)

o

Feverfew

o

fern-leafed bleeding hearts smaller than old-fashioned, but bloom 'til frost if dead-headed

o

Geranium Macrorrhisum Variegatum

o

when Lungwort droops, you're behind in watering ^~^

o

everyone seems to like Tiarellas

o

Frizelliae fern

o

Baneberry 'Doll's Eyes' fruit

o

we didn't document our early companion plants - any help, y'all, as to this variety of Heuch, please?

o

we didn't document our early companion plants - any help, y'all, as to this variety of Heuch, please?

o

Some Hydrangias will grow in shade but the flowers are 'airy' . . .

o

for vertical envelopement, a Kiwi vine

o

a climbing Hydrangia gives eye relief from boring brown pine trunks

o

noid tiarella path-liner, id help, please?

o

a climbing Hydrangia gives eye relief from boring brown pine trunks

o

This H. Honeymoon was so lonely that it invited this Jack-in-the-Pulpit to be it's 'companion' plant.

o

one of the Himalayan Ferns

o

thanks for the reminder, Sandy:

Hepatica is 1st to bloom here, often b4 it even leafs out, and sometimes even with snow on the ground!

o

MN Paul - thanks 4 the flower pic of Rogersia ! Don't think ours ever has, waaaa. Bevie tried this all over in the garden to no avail. Finally she threw it over the fence onto a pile of pine straw and voila! So there it stays...

o

mctavish6 - do u know where we could git some o' that yeller bleeding heart, pleade?

o

HH, search Corydalis lutea for yellow bleeding heart.

Paul

o

HH, take a look as Tiarella Cordifolia (Heartleaf Foamflower) to compare with your noid. It's a spreader.

Paul

o

Lamiastrum Herman's Pride - nice yellow bloom in May/June. Slow spreading.

Paul

o

hostahillbilly, that heuchera looks like my "Palace Purple"

o

HH - Corydalis lutea is right. If you can't find it at a garden center let me know - myrlet@telus.net. I'm planning on being at my sisters in Washington sometime in the fall and I'll send you a hunk of hers.

o

It took me awhile, but I finally came up with one that no one's posted yet ( hope ) ...I have so many duplicates of companions already posted ...this is variegated Sea Holly w Lady's Mantle accompanying Plantaginea and U. AlboMarginata...

o

Some false Solomon's seal, mini geranium and a heather accompanying another U. AlboMarginata

o

Cimicifuga and Frances Williams...not much of F.W. but companion's foliage I just love!

o

Lastly, My personal favourite...peony, astilbe, iris with Krossa Regal and friends, along with variegated weigela on left and a huge honeysuckle shrub in corner on right. That's all for now, folks!( picture Porky Pig ) :-)
Jo.

o

For comic relief, I thought I'd add one more...Big Daddy being "dwarfed" by Dwarf Goat's Beard (aruncus). Rotfl!! The goat'sbeard is currentry being divided in two after tripling in size over the past 5years... a small BD came home from the cottage, where it wasn't growing at all...it's coming along nicely and the blue colour on BD is holding very well considering sun exposure till 2ish pm.

This was an exciting thread everyone!
Jo.

o

I am more a lurker on the Hosta forum, but noticed that no one has posted cast iron plants yet, so had to do so!

o

Dwarf goat's beard is one of my newest favorites. It only gets about 6" high but has the same fluffy flowers as the big ones.

Sandy

o

Hey, Funnthsun, I mentioned it and posted a picture of my aspidistra and liriope muscari giant on Aug 9th. But I sure do like your picture of the hosta with the aspidistra, and looks like the leaf of either a subtropical orchid or tropical ginger along with it? We have another NC gardener here, so make yourself to home.

If you like variegated aspidistra, you are close to Plant Delights Nursery which is where I got all of my white stripe leaf aspidistra. Pretty good stuff, glad to know it thrives in your zone.

o

They weren't intentional and they aren't really plants, but they were interesting while they lasted in the spring. We had several varieties of mushrooms/toadstools in the hosta beds that I'd never seen before. Here's one kind earlier in the season, freeloading under 'Spartacus' and 'Guardian Angel'. They must have loved all the yummy amendments I added to the beds. : )

Don B.

o

Don. Just wondering. By any chance was your mulch pine bark or fines with pieces of pine wood in it?

I've had all sorts of interesting fungi growing in my cypress mulch especially. And then where the roots of dead pines run, I'm having beaucoups fungi forming on the soil. It's been a fairly wet summer, so lots of humid warmth.

What do you think is the type you have? My references are all stored at this time.

o

Yup, exactly right, Mocc. Pine bark. Very fine pieces. Personally, it's the only type of mulch I really like the look of, when placed in the beds.

Don B.

EDIT: To add pic.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 0:26

o

Sweet Woodruff and Cathedral Windows tc.

o

Columbine Clementine Rose (and a ratty hosta on the right, due to workers stepping on the pips in spring).

o

Don't think I've seen any hair grasses yet?

o

Lemon Thyme in the middle.
Small spiky plant lower right is a recently finished blooming Blue Eyed Grass.

o

Nutmeg, I just LOVE Your Clementine Rose columbine! What a gorgeous colour....I remember the first time Nora Barlow came out, but this one is even more beautiful! My blue-eyed grass (slowwww grower) is slowly getting bigger...need more of them!

o

Stachys monnieri (Lamb's Ear) 'Hummelo' - not like the traditional white fuzzy leafed Lamb's Ear.

Paul

o

Mocassin,

I completely missed your post about cast iron plants, must have skipped over it somehow. Thanks for pointing it out, this is getting to be a very long thread!

You have a good eye! I think you are seeing the English ivy peeking back up on the right. That was a gift from a kind little bird that I am still pulling out. Easy to pull out in the front of the bed, hard to get rid of the closer to the tree and its roots it gets. Otherwise, there is variegated Solomons seal mixed in with the cast iron plants that is showing on the left, but that doesn't really look like ginger from afar like the ivy does.

o

Wood Poppy/Celandine Poppy - an eastern native wildflower that blooms in May and then reblooms sporadically thru the summer for me. Good fit for the woodland garden - dappled or full shade. Great leaf shape and how many yellow blooms do you see in the shade garden. You will get seedlings (this is 5th year for me and lots of seedling this year for the first time). Tall enough to fill between hosta and not be lost when mature (2' or so).
Early riser
Celandine Poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum - Wood Poppy) (08)-003

and near end of first blooming period (seed pods are already forming)
Celandine Poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum - Wood Poppy) (08)-1

Paul

o

Money plant (lunaria) with albo marginata. A favorite combination in the spring.

Sandy

o

Yellow Waxbells - grows to shrub size 3-4 feet tall and nearly as wide. It will wilt if in too much sun - dappled or bright shade seems to work well, grows smaller/slower in full shade. Just starting to bloom in MN - sorry don't have a flower pic (link below to flower).
Yellow Waxbells - Kirengeshoma palmata (2) (07 & 08)-001
Yellow Waxbells - Kirengeshoma palmata (2) (07 & 08)

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Waxbells flower

o

Hellebores, hydrangeas (Incrediballs, just budding) and persicaria painter's palette.

o

Campanula glomerata and daylilies.

o

Ruth......WOW!!!! BEAUTIFUL garden, beautiful pics!

This thread IS long, but with a subject so enticing, how could it be other?! Lol
Keep them going, I say...we can keep blaming the originator of this thread while at the same time, thanking him for starting it LOL....sooo much enjoyment derived here!

I hope IDIOTHE is enjoying this viewing while convalescing. :-)

o

Thanks, Josephine.

Another plant I really like with hostas is ligularia Osiris Fantaisie. It's larger and has more substance than a heuchera, but isn't a monster (so far) like Britt Marie or the Rocket.

o

RuthMi, geeee I wish I could walk through your garden. It must be so peaceful and serene.

Actually, I'd like to figure out how to capture this thread entirely in a pamphlet. Maybe it should go into the Hosta Forum FAQ list. Wonder who keeps it these days.

o

Keep 'em coming....

Turtlehead (this may be 'Hot Lips') - good clumping, 2-4 feet
tall (back of the garden), spreads by shallow roots, fall bloomer - nice color in September when everything else is winding down, sort of a snapdragon looking bloom (turtlehead).
Turtlehead - Chelone lyonii (06)
Turtlehead - Chelone lyonii (06)-4

Paul

o

Paul, I've got Hot Lips and the white one...grow like gangbusters! Nice and tall..Mine have buds but still too early here for open blooms...can't wait as Sagae sits in front of them...will be quite the show. Never thought of posting that pic but so glad you did!

Sandy...such an impact....your UAM shows beautifully....anyone that scoffs at this variety had better take a second look at yours...made me expand the pic on my iPad to get closer look..outstanding celadon coverage...simply WOW

o

Hibiscus with Plantaginea

o

I have also lamium 'Hermann's Pride', as Paul shows. It is a keeper, because it mainly stays in place. The other lamiums I weed out because they tend to cover up hostas, are really invasive.
Here is white trillium, lungswort, a fern, primula, tiarella. Bernd

o

Thought this deserved a bump, since we're all trying to plan our new beds...and what to buy!!! Ruth_MI, your pics are beyond gorgeous...got any more?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here