Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mac48025

Hosta ID help

This board has been great in helping me ID hosta's so I'm trying again. When moving from our prior home to hear I had to quickly dig up what hosta's I could and in my haste didn't have time to label them. That was in November so by the time spring came around there were a few I couldn't remember. Any help in identifying them would be appreciated. Sorry but I can't seem to post more than one pic at a time from my iPhone or iPad. Here's hosta #1

Comments (21)

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hosta #1 close up

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hosta #2. This one is much more variegated in spring. It's unusual as it only shows corrugation on the green part of the leaf

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hosta#2 close up

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hosta 3

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hosta #3 close up

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

#2 I think is Golden Meadows. Here's mine for a comparison, early in the season. Mine is green now also:

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Is #3 a fragrant?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again don. You identified Diana Remembered for me earlier now this one. I don't think #3 is fragrant. It's right next to Diana Remembered and is very similar in leaf but DR is in bloom now and #3 isn't.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hosta #1 is a stunner, but I can't place it. I hope someone does, I'd like to have that variety.

The #3 hosta reminds me of pics I've seen of Fragrant Queen, but maybe not. That's a nice one, too.

Don B.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Don, lovely shot of Golden Meadows. It is a favourite of mine. Just drop dead gorgeous in the spring. Couldn't find a spring PIC of mine but here she is now - looks a lot like your pic#2 Mac. I think Don has correctly identified that one. I am no help with the others as I don't have any white margined hostas with large leaves.

Golden Meadows in August

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Okay I couldn't help it - found the spring pic of Golden Meadows. She still just had three eyes and this has to be at least four years old but she gets bigger and better every year.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again Don, and Barb. I'm elated to know the name for Golden Meadows as my friend who gifted it to me couldn't recall it's name. Now I can tell him what it is. As far as the other two we will see if I'm lucky enough to get them identified. For now they are "variegated wonder". They're variegated and I wonder what they are. I have dream queen so I know it's not that, but now that you mention it it's a good call.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Oh, yours is still considerably bigger than mine, Barb. I got mine last year as a teeny little thing, single-eyed. It came up with two eyes this year; I'll take it. Hoping for 3+ next spring : )

Don B.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I got mine two years ago with two eyes and it's grown a lot. About 36" across with about 9 eyes now. My water bills will attest to the fact that I water heavily! Here's a pic with my hand for reference.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Bobbie Sue?? Wow, I had no idea; Got my sights set on getting a Bobbie Sue.

Don B.

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

Still no takers for #1 and #3?

My guesses would be Patriot and ventricosa Aureomarginata. If you notice any cupping of the leaves in #1, it could be Minuteman, but without I'd say Patriot.

Steve

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

#3 looks somewhat like Earth Angel if it were to get a lot of sunlight. Not sure about #1.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm quite certain (not positive) that hosta #1 is Bobbie Sue. It's not as dark as my pics show. I definitely had Bobbie Sue and had the pleasure of meeting the nice lady it's named after.

The pics do a poor job of showing the leaf size as they are much larger than they look. I appreciate your guesses Steve but I know it's not either ventricosa AM or Minuteman as I have both and the leaves of these are much bigger. Here are some leaf pics with tape measure for reference. This is the one I'm pretty sure is Bobbie Sue.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hosta 3

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hmmm, please someone ID #1 as I have hosta to purchase ; )

Don B.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

The third one looks like a Dorothy Benedict hybrid. Maybe Celestial, but I'm not sure.

Steve