Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uk_hostaman

hosta obscene gesture

uk-hostaman
14 years ago

hi..as my name suggests i live in the uk,but found this site by accident about a year ago and havent looked back since!been growing hostas for about 5 years but only really started to expand in the last 2.I only have a small garden but i have managed to cram in over 40 varieties of which i love all of them but my faves are sagae and striptease of which my collection started to grow from as i then fell in love with 'gypsy rose'and 'kiwi full monty'

my latest collection are now based on the sagae sports of which i have liberty,majesty and magic fire.Any way to my subject of posting i came across this hosta called obscene gesture(what a great name)which is the reverse of kiwi full monty apparently and the hosta library has no pictures,can anybody help with any pictures or info...will of course post pictures of my hostas when ive worked out how too!..thanks

Comments (67)

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

Janice welcomes guest to the garden. Her husband walks by..Janice says to guest, 'let me show you the Full Monty', husband turns red, guest goes off screaming - lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Full Monty

• Janice
    14 years ago

Hmmmm--think I'll remain 'uninformed', and pass on the *click* of that link, Pam! What you've said is enough
    to let me know I prefer my ignorance on that one! I'm sensing your concern and respect for my moral well-being
    and yet, being surely conflicted--feeling somehow obligated to help me be more *thoroughly* educated and informed
    on the subject, of double entendre's, JUST so I can discuss them more "intelligently"--right? (smile)

Diane, you make a good point--but, I'm bettin', talkin' and buyin' does not ALWAYS translate into long-term profits!
    I still think, it is a poorly named hosta for the broad-base market of those who would, otherwise, consider buying it!

But, I guess it does give SOMEONE, else, their 15 mins. (or more) of fame! :op

• hosta_freak
    14 years ago

Never saw The Full Monty,and don't care if I ever do. I prefer this one,(or two)! Phil

{{gwi:960016}}

• donrawson
    14 years ago

Here's my list of romance and sex hostas. Any additions would be appreciated. Don

HOSTAS FOR A ROMANCE/SEX GARDEN:

ÂAbba Dabba DarlingÂ
    ÂAchy Breaky HeartÂ
    ÂAfternoon DelightÂ
    ÂAmerican SweetheartÂ
    ÂBare NecessityÂ
    ÂBest ManÂ
    ÂBlind DateÂ
    ÂBlue HuggerÂ
    ÂBlue without YouÂ
    ÂBreathlessÂ
    ÂBreederÂs ChoiceÂ
    ÂBreederÂs LoveÂ
    ÂBridegroomÂ
    ÂCheatin HeartÂ
    ÂCherishÂ
    ÂCliffordÂs Broken HeartÂ
    ÂClimaxÂ
    ÂCold HeartÂ
    ÂDear HeartÂ
    ÂDouble D CupÂ
    ÂEnchantressÂ
    ÂExtasyÂ
    ÂFaithful HeartÂ
    ÂFatal AttractionÂ
    ÂFirst DateÂ
    ÂFirst MateÂ
    ÂFoxy LadyÂ
    ÂGay SearchÂ
    ÂGet NekkidÂ
    ÂHanky PankyÂ
    ÂHarlotÂ
    ÂHeart and SoulÂ
    ÂHeart BrokenÂ
    ÂHeart ThrobÂ
    ÂHeartÂs ContentÂ
    ÂHeartÂs DelightÂ
    ÂHeartÂs DesireÂ
    ÂHeartbeatÂ
    ÂHearts on FireÂ
    ÂHeartsongÂ
    ÂHoney MoonÂ
    ÂHooterÂ
    ÂHotcakesÂ
    ÂHotspurÂ
    ÂIllicit AffairÂ
    ÂIncredible HunkÂ
    ÂKiwi Full MontyÂ
    ÂLady in RedÂ
    ÂLady in WaitingÂ
    ÂLakeside Love AffaireÂ
    ÂLakeside Midnight MissÂ
    ÂLapdanceÂ
    ÂLet Me Entertain YouÂ
    ÂLast DanceÂ
    ÂLittle StiffyÂ
    ÂLove BugÂ
    ÂLove BurstÂ
    ÂLove ChildÂ
    ÂLove JoyÂ
    ÂLove NestÂ
    ÂLove of LifeÂ
    ÂLove PatÂ
    ÂLove Potion #9Â
    ÂLovelightÂ
    ÂLovely to BeholdÂ
    ÂLoverÂs LeapÂ
    ÂLovey DoveyÂ
    ÂMy DarlingÂ
    ÂMy DesireÂ
    ÂMy Forbidden RomanceÂ
    ÂMy HeartÂ
    ÂMy Heartbreaking RomanceÂ
    ÂMy Hollywood RomanceÂ
    ÂMy PassionÂ
    ÂMy ValentineÂ
    ÂNaked LadyÂ
    ÂObscene GestureÂ
    ÂOoh La LaÂ
    ÂPeepshowÂ
    ÂPeteÂs PassionÂ
    ÂSatisfactionÂ
    ÂSentimental JourneyÂ
    ÂShady AffairÂ
    ÂShady LadyÂ
    ÂShady LoverÂ
    ÂShow GirlÂ
    ÂShow MeÂ
    ÂShow Me MoreÂ
    ÂSneak PeekÂ
    ÂStimulationÂ
    ÂStolen KissÂ
    ÂStreakerÂ
    ÂStreakerÂs PassionÂ
    ÂStrip PokerÂ
    ÂStripped NakedÂ
    ÂStripperÂ
    ÂStripshowÂ
    ÂStripteaseÂ
    ÂStriptease StreakerÂ
    ÂSummer SerenadeÂ
    ÂSweet DreamsÂ
    ÂSweet InnocenceÂ
    ÂSweet PeaÂ
    ÂSweetheartÂ
    ÂSweetieÂ
    ÂSwirling HeartsÂ
    ÂThumbs UpÂ
    ÂWhite UndiesÂ
    ÂX-ratedÂ

• chris-e
    14 years ago

Janice,

Don't be shy of the link. "The Full Monty" was one of the cutest, funniest, movies I have ever seen. It's a British film and has a very sweet vibe. And I want to get that hosta.

christine

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Bridalveil,
    To plant next to Bridegroom.
    cAROL

• Carole Westgaard
    14 years ago

Love your response, Caliloo....as a secular humanist, it made me happy. They're PLANTS....not social dialogue. I say rename them if they offend. Or throw all the labels away!!! Much less stress.

Westy

• idiothe
    14 years ago

Leave it to a scientist to take the fun out of poetry... a study was done about the "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

They had people sniff labeled bags. When faced with the same aroma in different bags, people rated the one labeled rose more highly than the same aroma labeled with less evocative words...

• pzelko
    14 years ago

Okay, so I hope EVERYONE likes AMARANTHUS what is this one called from Peeps in the know? Not anything related to "cat in the hat"

not it's original name, pic was taken in a public "childrens garden" , and I was not a Peep at the time about this plant, but SAW the conotation Immediatley!! and then I laaughed my A## off!!

Poor kids! know wonder they grow up the way they do these days!!

AH,.... come on...... take a wild gander? (at the Peeps in the know name)

Paul

and then tomorrow I will take a big KNEEL on praying hands (at the nursery) and hope she comes back next year named ??

SAINT GODZILLITA!!!!!at around easter time

and yes, I am Catholic, as my mother reminded me yesterday!
    "where did this come from" asked the therepist.

• summermusicz4ia
    14 years ago

For Don's list: Cupid's Dart

• pzelko
    14 years ago

SERIOUSLY!!! CAN WE JUST GET OFF THE TOPIC A LITTLE FURTHER? someone asked a simple question? and then this turns into somebody elses issue, I am guilty here too!! ( and then went back and read this all over again) BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT can anybody here just answer this persons question without throwing in there own personal beliefs???? I wish someone would come up with some more erotic or devilish names!!

Paul

PS someone here really sucks at bringing out the worst in us !! or is really good at it!! and I dont think that religious belief should be a topic here. this is not a religious forum!! and those thoughts or comments should be left at the door step of anybodys login, we are plant people here and not theologins, popes, rabi, lama. guru, Gnu, zebra, Isis ,Zues, or god! this is not the place for that type of response, this is a place to get away from the world, and just think about hosta!!not our personal hatreds!! tell them to your spouse cause this SCREEN aint looking!!!

PS I hate the name PRAYING HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so I wil go to hosta hell contemp!!!!

• User
    14 years ago

For Don's list:

Best Man (Why no Bridesmaid?)

There's Brazen Hussy, too. She doesn't sound romantic, though.

• Janice
    14 years ago

re: "...can anybody here just answer this persons question without throwing in there own personal beliefs????
    I wish someone would come up with some more erotic or devilish names!!"

Hmmmm..Paul (one of my favorite posters btw) if you're referring to me--I only responded beyond my
    knee-jerk 'reaction' to the name, to the notion of Alexa throwing away all her 'religiously' significant hosta, making her own
    statement of distain of such 'labelings'! I said--sure, I'll take them cause...I'm not ashamed to admit they could be
    meaningful to me!

Everyone else seems eager to make known their own preferences for the more bawdy names, but----*I'm* out of line
    in expressing my own preference or dislike and disdain, with an explanation as to why--and others, including yourself, are not???

Perhaps you're reacting to the notion of 'a choice' I made in regard to my own personal 'beliefs'--still can't see how that has
    become so obviously threatening to you! But, it does impact my preferences as does the many who 'choose' their own options or non-beliefs
    obviously impact their own tastes and 'preferences'! It's a factor, in making a decision in my buying power when the name
    clearly makes a statement such as this one does!

My opinion is offered, that IF one is interested in 'marketing' good-sense, in order to reach a broader *market*, then, perhaps
    it should be considered that some would find such naming offensive! In all reality, I suspect, the one naming the hosta couldn't
    care less--as I've concluded it was done in their own sense of 'fun' to shock and amuse, I'm sure!

*Equal opportunity*, hopefully, prevails, even on this forum, I hope!! I, respectfully, suggest that you, also, have contradicted
    yourself, making clear your cynicisms, which obviously impact your 'beliefs, (as I perceive) and
    you have stated your *preference*, also, for the more 'devilish' names, as opposed to my opinion of such!

The name 'Obscene Gesture'--begs comment, (as intended) and many are expressed on this thread, not just my own--including
    your comments (and non-hosta pic.) which fail to answer the original posters question, as well!

I think the only danger of this thread is in your reaction to it! Up to now--we've all said our piece in all civility and good humor--but,
    you've taken it to another whole level, I fear!

*Peace* my hosta-friend--hopefully we can all respect one another's 'choices' and what it is that makes us choose what we do in 'hosta-world'!

And, just so you know--I still really enjoy your humor (most of the time), if it matters to you, one way or another! :o/

• momtoanangel74
    14 years ago

Not really sure, but I was unable to find a photo of it either. I did read on another post here that it was a new hosta in 2006, so it might take awhile for photos to really become available.
    Hope that helps,
    Michelle M

• alexis717_df
    14 years ago

For Don's List: H. First Love.

Alexis

• aahostas
    14 years ago

I don't worry about Hosta names that I can read and understand .I worry about Japanese named Hosta because they may mean things like ("stupid American paid $50 for this weed!) or ( "This one will be dead in a month!"). That is my name worry!

Denny

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

LOL Denny!!!!

• hosta_freak
    14 years ago

People tend to forget the original hosta,'Striptease',was never meant to be what people think. It was named for the little strip of white that dances between the 2 colors,and "teases" you when it disappears,and then returns. I also think obscene gesture is a bad name for a beautiful hosta,but I also wouldn't buy a hosta called Outhouse Delight! Phil

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow..wasnt expecting that response!..looks like its a really new hosta as momtoanangel74 wrote..looks very much along the lines as cabaret,hanky panky,yellow polka dot bikini...was hoping it might hold its colour all season as gypsy rose,stiptease and kiwi full monty do....might just treat myself to see and then report next season..thanks everyone

• Janice
    14 years ago

Ahh, Denny--thank you for the great laugh!!! ROFMHO That's what I love almost the most,
    about the folks on this forum--there is a healthy dose of good humor to be found, amongst us, at times!!

• florabundance
    14 years ago

Ok, I just want a

Orgasm!!!

LOL
    Sorry I just had to do it.

Already corrupt!
    Flora

• User
    14 years ago

To the OP, From what I could find on line, it looks like a limited number of hosta OG came onto the UK/European market this year. It might have been named "Cathedral Windows" from the only picture I could find. LOL.

More for Don's list

A Many Splendored Thing (Love is ...)
    Artemis (goddess of fertility and childbirth)
    Band of Gold
    Bedazzled
    Big Hearted
    Broken Hearted
    Crazy For You
    Dating Game
    Easy to Love
    Excitation
    Flirtatious
    French Kiss
    Frosted Heart
    Gold Heart
    Good Lovin
    Goosebumps
    Great Desire
    Groomsman
    Happily Ever After
    Happy Hearts
    Heartache
    Love in the Afternoon
    Obsession
    Oh Baby Mine
    Oh My Heart
    Paradise Passion
    Pole Dance
    Puckered Up
    Purple Passion
    Rapture
    Ready
    Ready Eddy
    Satin Bloomers
    Scintillation
    Secret Love
    Secret Passion
    Seducer
    Seduction
    Sintilation
    Soft Shoulders
    Soft Touch
    Spellbound
    Splashed Heart
    Spring Delight
    Summer Lovin
    Surrender
    True Love
    Twisted Hearts
    Valentine
    White Hot

• aahostas
    14 years ago

Flora,
    I think you will find that they are fairly scarce here IMHO. You might want to consider a pay site for one of those! LOL!

Denny

• aahostas
    14 years ago

Manyhosta,

Not real romantic but how about "Corkscrew"?

SORRY, It is raining and I am bored! Nervous energy takes control!

Denny

• User
    14 years ago

I'd put that on the "When Hosta Drive You To Drink" list. I hurt my wrist digging daylilies to make room for more hosta. Hence I have time on my hand(s), too.

• loisflan
    14 years ago

Don't you just love it when things go careening good-naturedly out of control? This is one, fun string. I wish I could think of something clever to say. Lois

• aahostas
    14 years ago

Manyhosta,
    One may lead to another but..we still aren't on the same page! Think real hard now...come on now, you can do it....LOL!

Denny

• donrawson
    14 years ago

Manyhosta,
    'Corkscrew' is on my list of hostas for a bartender's garden:

BARTENDER'S HOSTA GARDEN

ÂAbiqua Drinking GourdÂ
    ÂArcadeÂ
    ÂBloody MaryÂ
    ÂCorkscrewÂ
    ÂCranberry WineÂ
    ÂCrème de MentheÂ
    ÂFive OÂClock SomewhereÂ
    ÂGin and TonicÂ
    ÂLemon FrostÂ
    ÂLime FizzÂ
    ÂLime SmoothieÂ
    ÂMarbled CreamÂ
    ÂMargaritavilleÂ
    ÂMountain DewÂ
    ÂMy Cup of TeaÂ
    ÂOrange CrushÂ
    ÂParty TimeÂ
    ÂRedback TavernÂ
    ÂShady Lady CocktailÂ
    ÂSpilt MilkÂ
    ÂSum Cup-o-JoeÂ
    ÂSwizzle SticksÂ
    ÂWitches BrewÂ

• User
    14 years ago

I'm waiting for h. 'Single Malt Scotch.' :)

• chris-e
    14 years ago

A Bartender's Garden! I love it. Maybe that will be my next theme. I have finished my Beatles' Garden and the Star Trek one for my husband. I want to wait until next year when they are creeping a little to show pictures. : )

christine

• shade_tolerant
    14 years ago

Two more for the bartender's garden--Frozen Margarita and Whiskey Sour

• aahostas
    14 years ago

How about...
    Moonshine,Cerveza and Mojito?

P.S. "Corkin" is apparently a regional slang term for "The Nasty" ie. "Thim thar kats iz jess a corkin like thu dickens"

Denny

• pzelko
    14 years ago

Hey J, I am sorry, you are one of the people that are posting all the time, and really like your imput, I probably should never have hit the enter key, sometimes I just go overboard on how much I like and really enjoy hosta. religious kinda names or not, the thing about Praying hands? I just dont like the plant, and looks like many hosta that i started from seed. Long petioles and another green one. and many hosta breeders find it difficult.

By the way? how do you manage to change your script on here? and thankyou for your response,I kicked myself in the head for being mean, and then I went out to the shed (garage)tonight to get a hammer so I can pound myself in the in the same place for hitting the enter key.

did I sound a little stressed? (on the previous post) I think that I need another vacation, but wont get paid for it!!

Paul

I know, sounds like I'm suckin up, But I mean it.

• florabundance
    14 years ago

I respect you all alot. Many ppl on the net would not bother to appologize. It shows me, at least, that ppl here don't hide behind computers like I've seen in other forums to just rip on others. I'm glad to be here; what a great site!

Everyone is entitled to opinions. What I've seen of Janice's posting shows she has a great sence of humor as well as a good eye for the beautiful landscaping she has. I've always said, if we were all the same, boy would life be boring!!! We can say the same for hosta; what if they were all alike? DULL-Ville!

On a side note; I think this 'theme' planting is awesome! I doubt I would be able to do it, so I will live vicariously thru those of you who can!!!

• Janice
    14 years ago

Hey, Paul--I really love you!! Seriously, I was heartbroken to see I had offended you so much.
    But, I suspected it was more of a 'moment' of the hour, possibly, and hoped we would come back
    and be hosta-friends, readily, again!! :o)

Oh, and stop hitting yourself with the hammer--you will find me a very easily forgiving person!
    I can be mad as all-get-out (and that's rare btw) and go to 'mush' the instant someone even begins
    to apologize or ask for forgiveness! And, if you will forgive me the *qualifier*--It's part of what I've
    become--not the *real* me, by myself! :o)

And, btw--I agree with you about the *plant* 'Praying Hands'! I have it, for the novelty but so far, I'm not impressed!

Script change is easy but a tad 'time consuming'! If you want to make a word in italics you do this:

Use before the word! (if I put it all together as you should, with no spaces, you won't see the 'code')!
    Then, after the word put --no spaces!

If you want bold do the same but instead of the 'i' use 'b'!

If you want your font larger then you use you want) > word !

If want to change the color of a word or words, word !

For underlining, word !

In the above cases of font change, you leave a space between the word 'font' and the next one, 'size' or 'color' but no spaces otherwise!

And, for extra 'FUN' combine them all, just stack the changes as though they were one at a time, complete
    for each 'change', before and after the word!

You can even change the font style, but I'm still working on that one!

Go for it, Paul! You and I are so 'enthusiastic' in our communicating that sometimes you just
    HAVE TO type as you feel and these changes help 'get it out' of my head and heart and onto the page!!

Oh, and thank you, for allowing us to still be 'hosta-buds'! I would truly miss the exchanges
    we've had, as in the past--in the future, otherwise!!! :o)

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Paul,
    I actually was shocked when you said the things you did to our sweet Janice,how totally refreshing,to come here this morning,and read your new posting.
    Who can not love a man who says "I'm sorry" .
    Thank you for posting this publicly,you have re-gained our respect for you.
    cAROL

• Janice
    14 years ago

Oh, 'Flora' missed your post--but, I agree with you about this forum. For the most part,
    I find our folk are very tolerant of each others differences! We love the plant, and we love to
    come together and talk about why we love any one in particular!

Ooops--I've got to run--I'm going to be late, 'going to that place I usually go to on Sunday
    mornings, & Wednesday evenings'! Gulp!!!! ;o))

• donrawson
    14 years ago

Florabundance wrote, "On a side note; I think this 'theme' planting is awesome! I doubt I would be able to do it, so I will live vicariously thru those of you who can!!!"

I'm currently compiling 53 new lists for a whole variety of hosta theme gardens. Check back next spring, I hope to have them posted by then. Don

• idiothe
    14 years ago

wow... Janice... you found a bar that's open on Sunday mornings?!

• Janice
    14 years ago

ROFLMHO, Jim--you're a hoot, you know that? Of course you do, and I love you just that way! LOL

But--we DO have 'grape juice' every so often at our *bar*!! hahaha Does that count? ;o)

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Janice,why did you tell Jim we meet there every Sunday and Wed.
    Now,EVERY ONE KNOWS!
    cAROL

• Janice
    14 years ago

Oh my word--you're killing me!!! My monitor is dripping!!! I can't stop laughing!!!

cAROL--you're quite the stinker, too!!! LOLOLOLOL

• Janice
    14 years ago

Answer your phone cAROL--I need to set up the time
    for this Wednesday's meeting--same bar or shall we 'mix-it-up'?LOLOL

• goldedger
    14 years ago

Nice to see everyone playing nice again. This really is a special forum, maybe because Hosta is the Friendship Plant.

For the OP here's a link with a leaf picture "Obscene Gesture Leaf"
    It's pretty!

• florabundance
    14 years ago

Yo Don, I'll be expecting LOTS o' Pics of those gardens as I am sure all the rest of our 'family' here is!

Janice.. you do a great job of explaining... here with fonts etc as well as 'unstable' in the other thread. You could be a teacher! When I use them, I do alot of copy and pasting, guess I'm just lazy or more likely want to get out in the yard!!! If you wan to change size a slightly shorter way is to you 'h or H' with 1, 2, 3, 4, with the carrots on each side carrotH1carrot will give you a large font. The larger the number... the smaller the font.

Thanks to all for the chuckles!

flora; Jean

• Janice
    14 years ago

Oh, flora/Jean--you give me too much credit! I'm struggling to understand what you are
    trying to tell me, so--so much for my 'student' abilities, much less my ability to teach!

When you say 'carrot' are you meaning these guys: ?
    Can you type out a sequence for me using a 'word'
    to illustrate changing the font size?

I'd sure love a short-cut because it does get tedius, at times!

• pzelko
    14 years ago

THANKYOU JANICE!!! for accepting my apology, and being so easy going about it! and explaining how to change the font size, I will have to copy your instuctions into a note pad and read it over. probably about 4 times. I wish that I owned the Hosta Guardian Angel (or had a better one on my shoulder, to hit me on the side of the head b4 I hit the enter key, and ask me? "what are you thinking?" )

I LOVE this site!!

Paul

• Janice
    14 years ago

G'morning, Paul--long time no cya! I was beginning to think your were really done with me, afterall!!! :o(

I've got the font type change for you, too!!!

"font face="Tahoma"] or whatever type of font you want to use and instead of these '[ ]' use these , otherwise,
    just as I typed the example--spaces etc.!

I love this site, and the ppl too, Paul! Can you tell! :o)

btw--I know I get way too 'conversational' about my thinking at times and I need to gear it
    back a notch--especially on some subjects! I just can't seem to help myself--it's how I'm hard-wired,
    and the stuff I'm made of just shows up, way too often and too much!! I'm workin' on it, though,
    REALLY I am!!! :o/

Thank you, for checking back in to this thread! I've been lookin' for you!!!

• idiothe
    14 years ago

haven't been able to post for a while... been trying to get the carrots out of my keyboard... didn't do much for the font size, and now my office smells like compost... guess I'll stick to regular size...

• pzelko
    14 years ago

Hey_J... maybe you should just go to your favorite (trusted) Hosta grower, and buy about (well I cant say how many, cause my rule of thumb, is that if I cant carry it I cant buy it. no carts allowed!) and then you go back another three times and buy more. and the girl at the counter says "werent you here 5 minutes ago? and then laugh and tell her you will be back in 5!

Paul

PS never done, just only having fun, well.... most of the time! and sorry again!!