Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show off your favorite fragrants!

Posted by Kate1970 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 14:22

So it came to me as I was clearing out the front bed a few weeks ago that I should line it full of fragrants. The bed is 3-4 feet in width and about 20 feet long. The only inhabitant who is staying is a edgeworthia which isn't much to look at but the fragrance is the spring is heavenly.

I'd love to put in a small flowering tree but I haven't come across many that would work in that small of a space. The previous owners threw wet concrete into the bed so over the past few years I've been pick axing my way through it but there are certain patches that I cannot get through.

Ok enough rambling...Here is my favorite so far Fragrant Bouquet which I can smell as I walk by. :)
 photo 20140713_122920.jpg

I also just purchased Irish Luck but I have yet to plant it in its permanent home.

I also have Ginsu Knife (pictured below) which I believe is listed as fragrant but I have not been able to detect any scent.

photo 20140713_100339.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show off your favorite fragrants!

I love the fragrants, too.

A young Frozen Margarita getting its first scape
 photo IMG_2004_zps1d7cc93a.jpg

Fried Bananas
 photo IMG_1960_zpsc38bce49.jpg

My Ginsu Knife
 photo IMG_1980_zps9f33f2a2.jpg

DD

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 21:43

o

Ginsu Knife I have detected a scent before, but not overpowering and you have to get your nose right in there....so could just as well be unscented for the effort....but lovely form.

Paul

o

If fragrance is what you are after, by all means consider two greens which can bloom big white and fragrant....Doubled Up is one of them, and then the species plant, plantaginea. I call my first one "Mama", but I have multiples of her in various locations around the garden.

I shared a photo of the Doubled Up first flower of the season which opened after dark, but for this thread I think it is appropriate to show it again. I just showed the spent bloom to a botanist friend a few minutes ago, and he caught the fragrance a good 18 hours after it bloomed. I also show a second picture of the plant itself. They say it is compact, but it sure looks sturdy and strong compact or not.

Mama on July 31morning after the flower opened.
H. plantaginea plant and flowers in bloom

Doubled Up plant on July 7, 2014
20140707_191303

and with the bloom last night

o

Donna I that is one gorgeous Ginsu Knife, I was thinking about potting mine up but after seeing the size of yours I am having second thoughts! Fried Bananas is on my list.

Moc those are some gorgeous photos! That last one is gorgeous! Doubled up is a beaut!

Thank you both for sharing those! :)

o

Thanks, Kate. They are two of my (many) fragrant favorites.
Donna, your Ginsu Knife is outstanding. Some hosta do better in the ground, and that may well be one of them. Mine has nothing like the coloration in yours, perhaps due to being potted?

o

Hi Kate! :-). DD, your GK is beautiful! Mine is just a young'un ...a year old only. I remember that last year Paul mentioned that it continues with new flushes of growth throughout the growing season. It did well last year. This pic is from July 15th...I'm due for new pics.

Paul, you also have a big beauty on your deck in a pot, isn't that right?

o

THE star of my Fragrants (I started to accumulate more fragrant hostas last year...thanks to some fine enabling by Mocc and Guacamole Don_in Colorado) is Plantaginea, of which I have a few. This flower pic is from last year...I don't have scapes yet here in zone 5.

o

Also among my Fragrants are: Sweet Bo Peep, So Sweet, Guacamole, Fragrant Dream, Cathedral Windows, Dark Shadows, and Diana Remembered.

This year I also detected scent on flowers of Blue Mouse Ears, Blue Cadet, Kifukurin Otome and a small NOID that is not identified yet.

I've yet to smell for the first time Dark Shadows, Diana Remembered, Cathedral Windows and Fragrant Dream as they are new this year. :-)

Mocc, your flower picture is exquisite - pure white really sends me!

o

Fragrant Bouquet is probably my favorite right now also, it's really a fast grower, but since you posted that already I'll post my slower growing put very nice looking Fragrant Queen.

o

Great photo, Mocc.

bk

o

Definitely H. plantaginea.
Mine has not bloomed yet. This is an old picture:
Hosta plantaginea photo August2005039.jpg

o

Pitim, never worry about it being an old picture. Some things are good forever, including pictures of great hosta growing in a great garden. I think "Mama" looks content with her surroundings.

And Santa, do not fear posting same hosta someone else likes too. It's another vote for a favorite and that counts too. I wish I could get the Fragrant Queen here to look as sweet on the white margins as yours does.

Jo, it did not take much convincing to get you on board with the fragrant hosta, if I recall. You have a very perceptive sense of smell.

o

Jo, lost my Ginsu Knife in a pot (and others) over the winter- operator error.

Paul

o

I love the fragrant hosta's and the beautiful ones shown here have inspired me to get more. Here's a mass planting of guacamole in my garden.

o

Oh no, Paul! I am so sad about your GK! - it was so strong looking, a deep green centre that I admired and simply beautiful. I'm so sorry you had to lose that one...or any other. Operator error was at play here too with some of mine :-(

o

Mama plantaginea, this morning the fragrance was so intense, ...can you smell it?

photo pa_zps6c52405b.jpg

o

What fabulous pictures! This is Iron Gate Delight. It arrived in good shape from Wade and Gatton this spring and has taken off like a rocket.
Kathy

o

Fragrants gooood...Nice pics, everyone.

Don B.

o

Wow! Can you hear that sound in the distance? Its the sound of my credit card melting! :) Its hard for me to choose what I like best on some of them the flower or the foliage! I'm pro-flower when it comes to hostas. Bee's and hummingbirds have to eat too! :)

Thank you all for the photos. I might have to create a fragrant bed. Along with the beds I need to make for the 2 orders coming next week. So far that's the only fun thing about this concussion I totally forgot about Naylors order and proceeded to place one with Jeff Miller lol. At least they are all different plants, I'm on a streaker kick this week.

o

You go, Kate! How many of us can use a concussion as a legitimate excuse to accumulate hostas!?!? Lol

Take care and happy retail therapy!

Jo

o

Thanks Jo, can't wait until next week! :)

o

Here's my fav, Guacamole, of course! It is potted and front and center on my porch. I have a room with a view, LOL. This is what I see when I sit down for dinner
20140806_111235.jpg

o

Funn, how beautiful...all that lovely dappled light. A gorgeous GUac and indeed, a room with a view! Thanks for sharing a lovely pic! :-)
Jo

o

>>>>>Ginsu Knife I have detected a scent before, but not overpowering and you have to get your nose right in there....so could just as well be unscented for the effort....but lovely form.---Paul

Paul you are absolutely right! I put my blooming GK on the middle of my patio table as an experiment and have been checking it daily. I was rewarded this morning! Though it may be faint it sure is lovely! :) Thanks for your advice, about getting up close and personal, I would have missed it otherwise.

o

Hoping this 'Athena' will bloom this year!

o

Wow! If Athena wasn't already on my list it would be after seeing this picture! I wasn't aware that it was a fragrant! I have to bone up on my fragrant hostas more, but I figure I have the winter to do that! :) That's a great photo!

o

Mac, that massive Guacamole tour de force is awesome. It goes on forever. Oh, please don't throw me in that Briarpatch! I bet it smells as good as it looks in bloom too.

WoodNative, great Athena. I'm hoping to see some scapes growing in my garden on Athena, Aphrodite, Venus, since I've been away 3 days on a road trip. Nothing beats the big blooms of the major fragrant players!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here