Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delawaredonna

Your "one" hosta that took the biggest leap this year

DelawareDonna
9 years ago

Bob Solberg classifies his introduction, Ginsu Knife, as medium (28" x 14"). Here is mine at year end 2013 and year end this year. Quite a leap, I'd say.

{{gwi:1077269}}

{{gwi:1077270}}

DD

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 14:44

Comments (24)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Journey's End has been great. Let's see if I can find this year/last year pics.

Here it is. JE last season.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

And this summer. As Paul said, it's gonna eat all the plants around it in a couple seasons.

Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah - look at that poor little hosta that's being swallowed underneath it.

DD

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

JE was hardly bigger than that little one last year. : )

Don B.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Heck, mine all leaped miles this year, literally. They all 'leaped' into this bag then went several miles to the dump.

SCG

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HVX?

DD

• User
    9 years ago

How sad, SoCoGuy! I hope you replaced them quickly?

I wasn't prepared for what I saw with Yesterday's Memories, a sport of Squash Casserole. It had a spread of 36 inches and growing early in the season. Plus it and Squash Casserole both continue to perform beautifully in hot humid weather with a good amount of afternoon direct sun. In zone 9a, no less!
    If that isn't outstanding, I don't know what it is. I made a trip to Tractor Supply this week looking for livestock tanks and feeding troughs which could become flower pots for the ones which look to leap even more next year. I'm hoping they leap, that is.

But here is my early season photo of Yesterday's Memories.

Gosan Sunproof in July 2014

Squash Casserole in front right in June, and find the big ole Victory in the left background....I got it in 2011.

I'm hoping that some of those seedpods on Victory were from pollen of the fragrant golden hosta nearby. A lot bloomed early to coincide with Victory's bloom. And, a lot of the fragrants set seedpods as well. Fingers crossed here.

High Tide was given an identity just in time for it to leap. I got it in 2010, so it was about time for it I suppose. It is a delightful plant.

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gosan Sunproof and Yesterday's Memories are real beauties, Mocc. I'm always amazed at how well hosta flourish in pots.

DD

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

This paul's Glory I got last autumn has suprised me, it was single eyed and didn't expect this much growth in its first year, came up with 4 eyes and i think there is more now after its second flush of growth. I am enjoying its colour change, its a tough one if it can put up with the conditions I've put them through this year.

Denis

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Donna That ginsu knife is a neat looking hosta. Love the wild crinkly edges. Thinking it is going on my list of wants.

Don your Journeys End has beautiful coloring and looks great. Just ordered one of these and cant wait for it to get here.

Moc, love seeing your garden! What is that hanging from the trees?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Mocc, love Gossan Sunproof! Equally so for the rest as well. Boy, that garden looks inviting...it is beautiful, as ever, but more so as your babies leap, and leap, and leap...and...:-)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Yes, HVX took them all to err on the side of caution....my hosta order from Pat at hostageek.ca is 6 days out.

Love ginsu knife, love. Gosan sunproof, OMG...dang I love hosta's especially deep green to blue and rugose....yeah I am addicted.

Love the photos all

SCG

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can see a great future for Paul's Glory, Denis. Take care of it.

DD

9 years ago

Blue Mouse Ears had a leap year 6 years later...pic from last year shows a plant with 11 divisions and 9 flower scapes in total when it bloomed. I decided I wanted more so I divided it into four sections. BME over wintered in these pots in my garage. Thank goodness they all made it.

In fact, altogether they added up to 39 divisions! Unfortunately, I did not plant them as a mass. One is in a mini display, one I just gave to my sister and the other two are planted separately in the garden.

Here is BME, 2013

9 years ago

Here are the incredible mice that multiplied like rabbits! BME...spring 2014

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If a hosta could be called "adorable" - It would be that little Blue Mouse Ears. You gave one away - isn't that against house rules?

DD

• User
    9 years ago

You are all too kind. I appreciate it. With all the glorious hosta coming from every corner of the world, it is really nice to have a few in my area too.. Love of hostas is a unifying factor in the world.

Now, Gosan Sunproof snuck up on me, I had no idea it would grow that quickly, nor that it would set seedpods. It gives the color green new bragging rights. Such a well groomed hosta too.

I recognize some of the hostas shown above, they are as familiar to me as my own plants. We all show our pictures and it is like proud parents bragging about the kiddies. Gotta smile how smitten we all are by this ever changing plant.

Oh yeah. Bunga the stuff hanging from the camellia sasanqua is called spanish moss. It is a member of the tilandsia family, air gives it nourishment, so it thrives in humid climates. I splash it down with water sometimes. It also has tiny blooms on it, sort of a lip color reddish rosy brown no shine. It is a gray green color. It provides some shade, and makes the breeze visible.

The camellia sasanqua is about 60 years old. It is related to the camellia japonica, the beautiful bloomers of winter. It is also related to camellia sienensis which is the Chinese tea plant/tree. All real "tea" comes from the c. sienensis. I now have two (or three) of those in my garden too, since I am intent on creating a fragrant hosta garden with other plants they would have encountered growing native to China. The book Garden Art of China that Dougald introduced me to has raised my goal with the garden. It is the source of my inspiration to add the latticed shade screen to finish walling in my hosta garden. Now all I need is a komodo dragon statue and a Buddha or a guru in a hidden alcove somewhere.

9 years ago

Lol Donna! Caught me! I was going to my sisters for dinner...so I packed up a Rose of Sharon that I was growing from seedlings (blue one), some tall phlox... then thought I'd surprise her with a mini hosta! BME will keep Golden Tiara company. Would you believe the GT I gave her two years ago is bigger than one of mine? It was a runt when I planted it for her! Lol
    Sisterly love... and hostas! :-)

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

So many of mine have done well-here is The Empress year 1.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

Empress Wu -year 2

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Love that spanish moss and wish it was something that could grow here. This Garden Art of China, who is the author? Im always looking for new things to read and be inspired by. You've mentioned that book a couple times. Tried looking it up on amazon, and cant seem to narrow down the right one. It is not this one is it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Art of China?

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Moccasin, gorgeous hosta's and garden! Are all your hosta's in pots? I'm out of room so am putting hosta's in pots next. Do you use potting mix or soil? That Spanish Moss is awesome. Ever try other tillandsias or even bromeliads and orchids on your tree trunks? You have me dreaming of a southern garden.

Bmonkeys you're onto something. Has there been a thread on recommended gardening books? Winter will be here before we know it and us northerners need all the gardening inspiration we can get!

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Some great hosta's here. Ginsu Knife is on my list now. Stoc , great to see your Wu growing so well. Mine is getting there but taking it's good ole time. Love the JE Don. Mine is new and I'm looking forward to what it will do next year. BME is a great little plant, nice one Jo.

My best grower this year had to be Earth Angel

• User
    9 years ago

Bunga, yes, that is the book. The one I got had a dust jacket on it, looked like this.

I have bromeliads oh yes. They were nipped by the cold last winter but seem to be recovering, just not as big as before. I have staghorn ferns hanging from the sasanquas, and I've tried regular tilandsias before, but the spanish moss is the most durable that I can grow all year round. We are what they call a subtropical climate, not really tropical. To find things like pothos covering walls you'd have to visit Hemingway's home in Key West. Now THAT is tropical. I can however grow 9 foot tall white bird of paradise and philodendron selloum outdoors, bananas, several species of palms and such. I also have hardy orchids that I learned can take our climate very nicely. I like the hardy orchids, but am not set up to grow the tender species.

and this one I throw in just for the fun of it. The camellia just outside my study window, saw this snake in it waiting patiently for some hapless bird visiting the feeder to make a wrong move. It lives in the daylily flower bed next to the street. Or it did at that time. :) I left it in peace, it looked elsewhere for its dinner that day.