More of Bobbi's need ID

hostaLes
11 years ago

BHN1- 10x24; 10x7; 12-13vp; 27" scapes

BHN3a- 7x19;4x3; 8vp

BHN3b- 6"h; 3 1/4x2 1/2; 5vp

BHN5- 9x17; 4x5; 7vp; 20" scapes w/seed pods

BHN10- 14x32; 9x7 1/2; 9-10vp; 27" scapes w/seed pods

Any one have thoughts about these. Note BHN3s has two different hostas growing together and I show them as 3a & 3b. All suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Les

Comments (22)

• tomahawkclaim
    11 years ago

BHN3a -- Amber Tiara (which is a sport of Grand Tiara)
    BHN3b and BHN5-- Grand Tiara

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hmmmm ....

grand tiara is the tet of golden tiara .. and i though amber was the yellow of golden tiara ... regardless.. the yellow of each has its own name.. i think.. tomahawk is close enough ...

doesnt matter.. they are all the same to us.. and the edged ones.. simply regresses to the yellow.. ALL THE TIME ...

maybe august moon on the last pic???

the first looks so familiar.. but i dont recall .. one of the very old standards ...

ken

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

BHN10 could be an immature Good As Gold.

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ci lantro: would an immature Good as Gold be 14"w x 32" across? I am not familiar with GasG so I am just asking. With all the puckering it doesn't appear to be immature.

Les

• User
    11 years ago

Ok, since someone has come up with two options for BHN10, I'll furnish my shot of two golds which are IMMATURE, but could be considered possibles for Bobbi's plant.

I planted August Moon and Midas Touch together in this tub, two each. Note that Midas Touch though young has some puckering or crinkling. These plants are divisions of mature clumps. And for the hell of it, I chose the shot with another gold, Rich Uncle (love it).

Also, the first one does look familiar to me as well. I'm not good at suggesting, but I have tried to acquire more classic hosta and may be able to find the one in my garden that is similar. However, I am distracted this morning with my hurricane preparations.

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've just cruised through the yellows mentioned relative to BHN10. Midas Touch is quite upright with strongly cupped leaves: doesn't seem a match.\

My first reaction when I reviewed the photo and listed the hostas with their BHN was August Moon, and had that penciled in. Bt it was just a gut reaction. Look at the following. The top row is what is in the Hosta Library "My Data Base" and the lower the measurements I'd taken, all in inches.

HL mound 24Hx42W leaf 9x8 vp 9-11 Scape 32"
    BHN10 14Hx32W 9x7.5 9-10 27"

mound W:H ratio is 1.8:1 for August Moon
    1.7:1 for BHN10

If Bobbi's grows to 42 across it might just reach 24 high. Every thing else is well within reason considering my non-scientific data sampling.

For the time being I am going to call BHN10 August Moon
    Thanks for the input and hope you all stick with me through this mess. Some I am afraid I will just have to wait until next spring and take another look.

Les

• lavenderlver
    11 years ago

BHN 1, American or Northern Halo?

• User
    11 years ago

BHN1 could it possibly be this hosta?
    Steve_Mass identified it as Satisfaction, a sport of Piedmont Gold. And you might take a look at the picture of it in the Hosta Library.

Anyway, here is mine, which I've had since 2010 and so it is one of my more mature plants.

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That looks quite similar moc. I have to take a good look at all the photos avail and the data bases on this one. The variegation is similar to so many hostas but the compactness seems unique. I have FW, Olive Bailey Langdon, Earth Angel, and F. Aureomarginata. It almost appears to be a small variation of the FW look-alikes.

Thanks. I know how busy you must be getting ready for the storm and hope you come away from it ok.

Les

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I told Les to mention how I love the piecrust on your Satisfaction, but he forgot. I love the piecrust on your Satisfaction, moc! :>

Theresa

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Les, my largest Good As Gold is over 3' across; smaller ones that I have look a lot like the one you posted where only some of the leaves are puckering. GAG stays chartreuse most of the summer for me and is just now getting gold. It's under a huge pine tree and seems to 'gold up' after the sun gets lower in the sky and sneaks in under the pine tree branches.

That said, it's probably August Moon like you said just because AM is so readily available. I'm just not familiar with it yet as I just bought one a couple of weeks ago.

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ci lantro: You should love your August Moon. Besides it being a stand-out hosta -unless you plant it in a field full of yellow hosta :( - mine is very dependable. Half of it was wiped out last year by a large fallen branch and this year you would never know it.

Here is a photo of mine, a fully mature August Moon. I have had to move her 3 times when she'd overgrown my expectations and I am sure you can see she protesteth-not :)

Les

• irawon
    11 years ago

Les,

Might Bobbi's BHN 01 be 'Twilight' ? At first I thought it might be 'Wide Brim' but I don't think the leaves on Bobbi's hosta are elongated enough to be WB (pictured here) .

I don't think BHN10 is 'Midas Touch' - not cupped enough.

BTW moc, that's a magnificent 'Satisfaction'. Hope mine grows to be as nice as yours.

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Thx for posting that pix of August Moon, Les. Your AM is a beaut. Gives me something to look forward to. I got a nice plant--three big eyes, but it's a bit ratty looking. Not unusual, of course, with field grown hostas in August that have been shipped half way across the country.

• irawon
    11 years ago

What about 'Zounds' for BHN 10?

• ctopher_mi
    11 years ago

The first one kind of looks like Earth Angel a bit. Does anyone else think so?

The second one looks like Golden Tiara with a solid yellow sport (Golden Scepter is the solid yellow sport out of Golden Tiara)

The third also looks a bit like Golden Tiara, and the tiaras are known for reblooming.

The last one I'm not going to take a stab at since nothing really unique jumps out at me and Bobbi seems to have things from common to not so common in the garden.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Les,

You have your answers. The first one is either American or Northern Halo. They are practically the same plant. The Tiaras have been identified and the gold is August Moon. Done and dusted.

Steve

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Chris, I just went out and looked at my Earth Angels...three of them, all planted last year so they're a little smaller than the one Les posted. Yeh, Bobbi's #1 does look like EA. I don't have the Halos to compare.

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chris, my initial pencil in for BHN1 was Earth Angel. I don't know how to say what 'd like to say but I will try. The reason I'd decided to treat it as noid was because it didnt seem to have the "muscle-tone" of the Amgels I have. Hows that for a new way to describe hostas. Blue Angel is like a trained fighter among bicyclists. Same height-same width, but make a bigger issue. BHN1 just doesn't seem to have it, but it might be its age.
    From that standpoint the Halos seem a better fit.

I'm laughing at myself over my post. How un-rocket scientific!

Les

• ctopher_mi
    11 years ago

The reason why I would say it is not Northern Exposure or American Halo is that the vein spacing is too wide, there isn't enough corrugation, their leaves don't get that distinctive pointy tip, and this time of year you wouldn't be seeing any yellow in the margin on those.

Earth Angel can look really different at different ages, but the coloration, variable margins, smoother leaves and wider vein spacing along with the tall scapes make me want to lean towards EA more than anything else I can think of. Next year you will know a lot better I think.

If I saw last one in a garden labeled August Moon I wouldn't question it.

• lavenderlver
    11 years ago

Chris, with all due respect...my American Halos have that pointy tip and their margin colors do range from cream (with a hint of yellow)to light chartruese. You are spot on regarding the corrugation though and it seems Les' NOID has deeper veining. Les' NOID also has a deeper green color than mine at this time.

• ctopher_mi
    11 years ago

That's true, American Halo goes from chartreuse to creamy yellow to cream, and can be highly variable between older and new leaves, but the picture above has all the same yellow color in it and this time of year the Halos won't have that color. Sorry also about not being clearer about the distinctive pointy tip either. The angels get a pointy tip that often curls and twists around. That's what I meant by distinctive. I don't believe the Halos ever get a curl or twist to them.

Sorry for the misleading post.

Chris