Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Yellow Wu or seedling

well ... that was called.. building a buzz... lol ...

here are the pix... my default is evening pic taking ..... couldnt get enough light under there then ... until i figured out dawn .. crikey ...

i will dig it up on of these days... for the definitive answer ... any chance you all can get a grip and wait for such... lol ..

what do you think??

ken

Comments (22)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

WOO HOO !!! There you are! You did it!

There is a green Wu.
    There is a blue Wu.
    There IS a YELLOW Wu!

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

Wu hoo!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Interested to see what it grows up to be.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Ken, firstly....your shot captured the differences in colour - dawn also brings shadows which makes for interesting pics.

Secondly, when I expanded the pic, it would appear that the yellow is not attached to the green division but away from it...similar to something I had going on last year with another hosta. The leaves appear to also have the same vein count (at this early juncture).

I am not knowledgeable enough to opine on seedling or yellow Wu, but I will add that this event is certainly a highlight for us and definitely you, I take it.

As you would suggest, so shall I ... wait to see what next year brings...being ever hopeful that it IS truly a yellow Wu! Really pleased for your discovery there!!! Congrats!

Jo

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I still like Ken's Wunicorn.

bk

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

I bid $500 !!

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Seeing is believing, Ken! You could be $500 richer. See above. lol

DD

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

I hope that is stable for you as it should be a nice plant. I have sports from vim&vigor (yellow margin) and titanic ( all gold) that I'd be willing to trade for a piece of it. I realize it's a far cry from $500!!!! Thanks for posting the pics.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mic .... when your check clears.. its yours

mac ... golds off the two you listed.. are probably.. 99% likely.. sum and substance ... reversions ... but of course.. if you grow them on ... and prove me wrong ... send the 500 .. lol ...

ken

PS: the wu wu's didnt even cross my mind.. lol ... perhaps i have a name ...

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

I know it's a long shot Ken, but did you happen to notice if the flowers on each matched? The leafs are similar, but the yellow appears a bit more rounded. I guess the proof is in the putting...as in putting your shovel in the ground. ;-)

tj

Original Author
    9 years ago

those are last years scapes.. lol ..

ken

• luuk
    9 years ago

It is always nice and exciting to see mutations, ...nice plant, thanks for posting pictures.

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Maybe this is a dumb question, but if those are last year's scapes (some of which are on the gold part of the plant), was part of the plant gold last year? (Gold for two years = more likely stable?)

• smorz
    9 years ago

EW doesn't have any registered kids or sports? Wuhoo for you Ken! lolz My uneducated guess by eyeballing it is you have a sport, Figured I have a 50/50 chance either way.

• irawon
    9 years ago

If it were a seedling wouldn't it have been much smaller than EW at some point? Must be a sport! Congratulations, Ken!

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Maybe you should zumberize it.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Zumberize link

• donrawson
    9 years ago

There are a few sports of Empress Wu around, but I haven't seen any with solid gold or yellow leaves. Here's my sport which has a gold margin. No name for it yet, so it's not registered. It is stable.

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Hope you except rubber checks ken. Lol. My all gold from titanic doesn't look at all like S&S .......yet. And my v&v sport isn't all gold, just a gold margin. Might be worth a trade. If not I have some property near the zoo to trade and it's somewhat dry. Here's the v&v sport.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Very cool, Ken.

H. 'Au Wu'?

Don B.

• bishop5
    9 years ago

Being new ... I'm curious what digging up the plant will show you in regard to being a sport or not. Could you educate me?

Original Author
    9 years ago

i will find out if they are all attached ...

if all from one crown.. then it is sporting ...

if not attached.. then seed probably fell ... and they are seedlings ... or one seedling ...

jo just had a post on hosta definitions... perhaps the words are covered there ... with this forum.. its probably already on page 2 or 3 ...

ken

• bishop5
    9 years ago

Thank you ... I appreciate the explanation. I've been following this forum for about a month. I thought Hosta was a fairly simple plant, but have since learned about sporting, Hybridizing, seedlings, tetraploid, and reverting.

I'm currently trying to ID my Hosta's which has been an interesting undertaking. A suggestion that one of my Hosta's is Gold Standard leaves me confused when I look at all the different colors and leaf patterns. I'm seeing this a lot on this forum, the library, etc. How can one hosta have so many different faces? Could you explain?

Original Author
    9 years ago

bishop ...

posts are free... start your own.. we can enlighten you .. and others at teh same time... peeps might not come back to this post ...

GS has transitory color changes thru the whole season ...

so yours will not look like pix in spring.. or late fall ..

the center starts yellow.. and can go as far as parchment white in a lot of sun ...

its coloration is very dependent on its location as to sun ...

start a new post... and the rest of us can discuss it with you ... but never NOT ASK a question ...

the only stupid question.. is the unasked question ...

ken