Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vase shaped upright suggestions

Posted by garden_crazy z5 N IL (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 14:45

I need some suggestions on med-xl tall, upright, vase-shaped hostas. I have Niagara Falls and Key West, Regal Splendor, Sagae............. -Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vase shaped upright suggestions

Look up Hosta nigrescens, perhaps the 'original' vase-shaped Hosta.

fwiw,

hh

o

Billy,

How could you not suggest Rascal, as it is one of your favorites? What's not to like? A cool light green color that changes during the season, tall, vigorous. A great Hosta. Sport of Gold Regal.
Photobucket

Steve

o

pic of my prior suggestion Hosta nigrescens:
Photobucket
hh

o

As suggested by SteveMASS, yes, indeed, Rascal is perfect for your description, and is Gold Regal, the latter a long time and forever fave of mine.

fwiw,

hh

o

American Sweetheart- on the smaller side but i real eye catcher
Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: American Sweetheart

o

This H. 'Cadillac' has a nice vase shape. I planted it only this year, got it from Land of the Giants.
Bernd

o

Thank you for your great suggestions. Cadillac has been on and off my to get list for years Your pic will get in my garden by next spring. -Also nigrescens - gorgeous! By the looks of Cadillac Bernd, I will probably be ordering it from LotG. Never ordered from them before.

Thanks!

o

garden_crazy, After I got so many green center with yellow or white margin hostas, I try to concentrate now on center variegated ones, so I like 'Cadillac'.

I like to buy from where I will get good size crowns and more than one eye. Large leaves and more than one eye suggest that I will see a happy more mature plant next spring. Life is short, why should I wait too many years to see a mature plant? In contrast, I bought some one-eye plants elsewhere years ago and they are still one eye.
Bernd

o

Besides plain green of any shade, my weakness is for the light yellow/cream/white centers with any size green margin. Your Cadillac is a beauty, Bernd.

I also like the light centers which end up streaking and turning darker, like Golden Meadows does. It has so much going on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here