Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedling

Posted by teresa_mn Zone 4 MN (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 14:48

I emailed this to Ken and did not hear back. Ken - are you ignoring me? I know I have not been here in a while but that is no reason to ignore me!

This is a second year seedling found growing in a pile of pine bark mulch. I finally got around to distributing the last of the mulch and was tossing out most of the hostas coming up. I saved a bright gold one and this one. It was growing about 8 feet away from a Royal Tiara. It's possible it came from the Royal Tiara - it has the same kind of twisty leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedling

Teresa, congrats on your "twisty" seedling. Hope it continues to do well for you. There is something very special about the ones we grow from seed in our own garden. I think it makes gardening with hostas even more fun :)

Dan

o

Teresa, your seedling is showing great promise! Shiney, twistey, apple green, what's not to love!?

The seed could have come from anywhere...your garden or a neighbor's...stashed by a rodent or dropped by a bird. I'd just call is Orphan X and enjoy watching it grow up. And if it starts acting out, you could package it up and send it to my house for a dose of Tough Love, eh? ;-)

o

Nice to see you posting again Teresa! Seedlings can be weird,where they pop up. I found a little blue seedling this year,down by my little creek,in a place where no hosta had ever been planted. I moved it up into the garden,so I can observe it next year. Hope yours turns out nicely! Phil

o

Hello Phil! I never had any luck when I was planting the seeds myself. I don't really have a dedicated spot to start them indoors anyway. It makes it more fun when these just turned up on their own.

Here is seedling #2 - the yellow one. Also year two. The other hosta in the photo is Invincible. The leaves already have some bumps and a little rippling.

Now that I am paying attention to these - they will die over the winter! :-)

o

Congratulation to these nice seedlings! #2 could be h.'Invincible Spirit', see the hosta library. Your picture shows the onset of puckering and piecrust on a slender leaf, very nice. Bernd

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here