Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta of the day: 'Dark Shadows'

Posted by josephines67 5 ON (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 14:54

While checking the status of slug bait, I had to stop, take a moment, and admire the presence of Dark Shadows growing in the shadows...literally.

It is developing nicely and the second flush is so lovely and welcome. There is an understated elegance to this one - it has beautiful markings that beg to be admired. Considering it is after 2:30, humid and bright outdoors, the colours are pretty accurate.

Would love to see yours and hear about it! Does it meet your expectations or exceed them?

This photo taken moments ago...thought I'd share it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta of the day: 'Dark Shadows'

Well hmmm, I can't find a pic taken of DS this season. That doesn't seem right...

BUT, here it is from last year, just after the Hallson Gardens order got potted up. Bought Gone with the Wind, and got a nice bonus.

Yours is looking good, Jo! It's getting ready for a leap! : )

Don B.

o

Here's mine at 4 years old. It's first couple of years were stressful, but is really coming into his own this year.

o

That Gone With the Wind looks awesome, Don. Is it as big and vigorous as it looks? I don't have. Dark Shadows.......yet, but I just got Foxfire Dark Shadows last week.

o

I'm loving Gone with the Wind, Mac. It's only a bit bigger than last year, but it's leaves are amazing. And having seen older ones than mine, I'm excited for it's pending maturity.

Don B.

o

Thanks for posting your photos Jo and Gary. Judging by yours, my baby is going to be a looker one day.

photo IMG_1828_zps7dda27df.jpg

DD

o

That looks nice Donna. Do is Dark Shadows similar to Devils Advocate ?

o

It is similar in variegation for sure.

Don B.

o

Dark Shadows is large as opposed to Devil's Advocate which is classified as very large. Also the colors are more pronounced on the latter.

DD

o

Yours is looking good, Jo!

Here are a couple pictures of mine...

Spring colour
 photo IMG_3157_zpsb7214946.jpg

Summer colour
 photo IMG_5746_zps27d8d678.jpg

This one is in my parent's garden, taken at end of June
 photo IMG_5112_zps34323b70.jpg

Vanessa

o

Thanks Don and Donna. I recently recieved Devils Advocate and figured I wouldn't need Dark Shadows since they looked the same to me. After seeing hippies pics I MUST have it now. It never ends.

o

Definitely agree there, Mac....one look at just about ANY of Vanessa's hostas and we are goners! Nothing grows badly over there - they are all very happy and very healthy.

I can't seem to find much info/background on DS online. Vanessa, would you by any chance be able to point me to a source? Even Zilis field guide does not have it listed.

Both DS you posted are really nice hostas...your parents' one is a nice size. Did you buy your own or is it a division of your parents' plant?

DA does look similar to DS, Mac...I was wondering about parentage...perhaps someone will supply more info. :-)

Jo

o

Hi Jo,
Thanks for the compliment!!

When my parent's visit us in the summer we tend to go hosta shopping so in 2011 we bought one of these with multiple eyes and just split it at that time. Mine is in a less prime garden location than theirs but they are both growing well.

Have you seen the AHS Registry for Dark Shadows? Link below.

Vanessa

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS Registry for Dark Shadows

o

Vanessa, thank you for providing the link! It's unfortunate the parentage is unknown...it's such a lovely hosta.

Jo

o

According to Zillis Devils Advocate comes from Blue Angel. Can't get a lot bigger than that. I like the subtle green/blue green variegation it's showing now. Sounds like Dark Shadows might it's little brother. Here's my friends Devils Advocate and the reason I had to get one

o

I can understand why you had to have one after that pic, Mac! When I looked up DA in the Field Guide and saw the sports of Blue Angel, I too wondered whether my guy might be a relative of sorts, somewhere down the line.

Looking forward to it emerging in the spring as in shoot/pip colour and spring colour. :-)

o

Tim Hensley has a gorgeous one, mature maybe?

o

Earlier this season

Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here