Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delawaredonna

A question for the photo contest winners

DelawareDonna
9 years ago

I noticed that my Awakening Angel was entered into the library, but my Grape Fizz has not. I'm not being critical because the photos are being entered by a dedicated volunteer. So if it's gone past "G", I'd like to know in case of an oversight.

DD

Comments (14)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

DD, I am not replying specifically about the contest as I don't know anything about that, but I have pics of a hosta in the Library...after the second try. I made a mistake with the name the first time and perhaps the pics were not good enough. I sent Bob Axmear an email with new pics this year and voila, there they appeared! :-).

I am not quite sure how to get the text info delivered for the dbase that holds the details of the hosta. I'll keep trying.

When looking/googling for pics I sometimes find a lack of them for certain hostas. I plan to remedy that soon, if my entries are worthy of acceptance. I have two in mind...so far.

If you submitted your lovely Grape Fizz and it hasn't appeared yet, you could email Bob and ask about it? He's likely so busy but no harm asking. :-)

Congratulations on your entry! That is such a beautiful photo of a stunning hosta!

Jo

How's it going with the knee? :-)

This post was edited by josephines67 on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 15:18

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I'm confused, Jo. Am I right in assuming that you sent photos for submission, but was not a contest winner? And that you can submit photos anytime for consideration? The photos that I now have of the two hosta winners far exceed the ones I submitted. I just checked, the library provides a link for emails, but it doesn't open

DD

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 15:53

9 years ago

I'm not up to speed regarding the protocol in terms of pics that make it to the Library. However, I found that pics of the hosta 'Kifukurin Otome' could use some company...and a fuller plant pic. I actually presented my "case" (which I thought was valid as there wasn't enough information about it in the dbase as well) to Bob A. for consideration....explaining that I tried last year, etc. etc. ...he graciously emailed me saying he had posted them....and directed me to Hugo's dbase to forward my detail information....which I have yet to do. :-)

Aren't all the pics in the Library voluntarily submitted? I am not clear as to who judges the worthiness of the pics, only who to send them to for consideration. I do not know if one can randomly submit. Perhaps I was just lucky in my timing?

I just poked my finger on "email here" and got through. Try again. :-)

Jo

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I submitted a photo of my So Sweet with a note that no one would buy this hosta, my favorite one, based on the photos in the hosta library. I didn't expect it to be posted, but it was. I have no idea how he decides which ones to post. I'm sure he gets lots.

The contest was done by some other people, not Bob. He may or may not have any control over that situation.

The link worked for me:

bobax (at) mchsi.com

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 17:27

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

I had a few pictures that won but none of them are posted yet. I was wondering the same thing since it has been a pretty long time since the contest. I submitted my pictures in July 2013.
    Vanessa

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

I submitted a couple of pics of Luna Moth to Bob, just emailed him and they were up the same day. He sent back an email thanking me for the submission. Not sure what the photo contest is, per se, haven't really paid attention to that.

Bob won't be running the hosta library much longer, he is training someone else to take it over, fyi. He was very open to posting pics of a hosta that, like Bkay said, the pics that were on there were very underwhelming and just didn't do it justice.

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'll send him my photos. Can't hurt.

DD

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Below is a link to the photo contest we are referring to. It shows all of the pictures submitted and which ones were accepted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Library Photo Contest Submissions

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The email for Bob Axemear doesn't appear to be valid. Should it have a .com extension? Since the contest is over, I assume I can't use the email address for the contest.

DD

• User
    9 years ago

Actually, Bob Axmear is no longer handling the Hosta Library. He decided to turn it over to someone else, so he could work with his hosta hybridizing. I submitted a photo, and got a nice email back from him a week or so ago. He planned to make an announcement but if it is now made, I missed seeing it.

Take into consideration that a new person will be picking up the reins and it might take a while to get the routine straight.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Allright, Bob! Bob has some great introductions. Always plenty of room in the hosta world for more Bob Axmear hostas. : ) Naylor Creek usually have several of his plants for sale. The 'Waukon' series of hostas is his. Also 'Nicki Sue Axmear' is a giant, Sagae-like plant.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 22:01

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

slight off-topic - I appreciate that there are immature and imperfect examples in the Hosta Library....just like in our gardens. Gives me a better idea of what to expect.

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I agree, Paul.

Don B.

9 years ago

I also agree with Paul. It's more informative to have pictures of all phases of growth of a hosta, including decline/entering dormancy (fall pics) and emergence in spring...easier to identify as well.

At the same time, there is a thrill to capturing that perfect picture of a hosta in all it's glory.