Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Is it sun or is it the season? Yellow rims on Blue Cadet!

esther_b
10 years ago

Well, the purple ornamental plum tree in the front yard finally died. I tried to get the co-op mgt. to prune off the dead branches, but they refused. Their so-called "landscapers", basically a bunch of happy little illegals who jump off their truck every 2 weeks to massacre our lawn and my garden edging, refused to cut off the affected branches. My neighbor agreed to do it, but then was always "too busy" to actually carry through.

The tree is now basically bare. The borer beetles which I believe to be the cause of death did their nasty work.

Why the fuss here over this tree? Because it provided the main shade for my hosta garden. All the hostas (except for those in the Neighbor's Plot) were circled under this tree. Overshading this area from far above are pin oaks, but they don't provide as much shade as the plum did. Their branches are over the garden, but I think they're too high to give much shade. Perhaps eventually they will overgrow the area and do so, but not right now.

Possible effects that I see from this development are yellow edges on both my Blue Cadets. Are these from sun scorch or are these from being late in the season?

In the Neighbor's Plot, the hosta (Gypsy Rose, Paradise Island, Remember Me, Rainbow's End, Rainforest Sunrise) seem to be doing fine in this their first year. Two of the gold colored heuchies got sun scorched by the sun sneaking through the gap between my building and the next. Those heuchies are on the edge of the garden, in direct line to this gap.

So, yesterday I planted a beautiful dwarf spirea, Neon Flash, in direct line of the gap sunshine to the affected heuchies. I hope that this shrub will provide enough shade for the Midas Touch and Gold Zebra heuchies; the poor things became Kentucky Fried Heuchies this summer!

Comments (2)