Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepie_gw

Looking for pics of Ice Age Trail seedlings

maggiepie_gw
9 years ago

Am hoping someone has some IAT babies they are growing and can post some pics of the seedlings.
My IAT has some seeds and wondering if it is worthwhile germinating some.
Of course I am hoping to get some streaked babies.

Comments (30)

• Bennie0203
    9 years ago

Here your are.

• maggiepie_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much, Bennie, these are just what I was hoping to see.
    Were these deliberate crosses or OP seeds?

• smorz
    9 years ago

I was looking forward to seeing these too, thanks !

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Feast your eyes on this thread, Maggiepie.

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Ice Age Trail Crosses

• maggiepie_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don, thanks for the link to that thread. I think my blood pressure just skyrocketed when I saw the pics.
    If I was told I could have one, I would be hard pressed to choose but think maybe the best green would win out.
    The entire thread made for a very interesting read.

• Bennie0203
    9 years ago

The seeds are from Jan van den Top, OP.
    Kind greetings from Germany

• maggiepie_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Bennie.

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Here's an Ice Age Trail x Bluetonium seedling pic from this year.

Dan

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

DAN! Was hoping you'd show up sometime to post some more of your beauties. : )

Don B.

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Thanks Don.
    IAT x Steve Moldovan in Spring

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

IAT x Clear Fork River Valley in early Spring...

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

There are 4 Yellow IAT x PT5F1 seedlings that I separated out and kept three. I like the one with the most corrugated leaf as well as the one in the top left corner that has deep veins and domed leaves.
    Good luck with your IAT seeds maggiepie, I think it's a great parent and well worth growing the seeds. Have fun :)

Dan

This post was edited by dansgrdn on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 13:50

• maggiepie_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh wow, Dan, those are incredible. I like them all but the IAT x Bluetonium and IAT x Clear Fork River Valley take my breath away.
    Does the IAT x CFRV keep the streaks as the season progresses?
    Thanks for the pics and the best wishes. Can't wait for my seeds to ripen.

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Thanks Maggiepie, yes the streaks stay all season which is true of most streakers. A lot of times the yellow streaks will turn to either bassier golds or whites and as the wax burns off a bit, you start to see different gradations of color. Enjoy the seed growing hobby, it's a lot of fun.
    Forgot to mention, terrific looking seedlings Bennie0203!

Dan

This post was edited by dansgrdn on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 15:13

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Dan these are some amazing hosta's! Not a bad one in the group. I've never had any desire to produce seedlings......until now! Please tell me there are plans to make some, if not all of your seedlings commercially available. Thanks so much for sharing.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

The golds are GLOWING, Dan. What great plants you're making!

Don B.

• luuk
    9 years ago

Bennie, stunning seeding and well presented, looks like Japanese style. When are small I like them even more.

Dan, IAT x Clear Fork River Valley ...WOW, I am a fan of CFRV and see it streaked is definitely easy on the eyes!

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Thanks mac, Don and luuk!

One more IAT x Steve Moldovan seedling pic from today.

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Very nice seedlings, Dan. Keep posting whenever you get the chance!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Dan, I have 2 of your IAT and 2 G4B crosses now in the ground. Beautiful 9 month old plants, Thanks again!
    Bernd

• maggiepie_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dan, how old is the IAT x Steve Moldovan seedling ?
    The puckers and pebbling is fabulous. Not sure if I am using the right terminoloy but is that coming from IAT or the other parent?
    I see whatever it is on the left is impressive too and also looks streaked?

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Bernd , glad you got some seedlings you like from the seed I sent you.
    Maggiepie, I tend to think of species involved when I think of crosses. Only tokudama and sieboldiana genes are involved in this cross, and the corrugation could come from either parent. This is likely a 2010 or 2011 seedling. I'm going for different types of stuff right now, but it's fun to have seedlings of different types and people tend to like this type of seedling more.

Good luck with your seed, who knows maybe next year you will be making your own crosses. Have fun!

Dan

P.S. Bernd, if you are patient, those G4B crosses could turn into
    something special. It looked really good this Spring.

This post was edited by dansgrdn on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 1:20

• maggiepie_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the explanation, Dan.
    My IAT has both tokudama and sieboldianas as near neighbours. Would be ecstatic to get a baby something like yours.

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

You have a great chance at it Maggiepie. Most open pollenated seeds are selfed. Meaning the bees just spread pollen from itself onto itself. If not, the early bloom time limits the other types of pollen that it might be, so these two species are probably in the mix on both sides of the cross either way. IAT will produce corrugation even when crossed with something without it though. If you look at the yellows I posted above PT5F1 is a smooth plant with montana genes, you can see the smoother texture with the deep veins in the one on the upper left which shows some montana influence while the one at the lower right picked up the corrugation from the tokudama type genes of IAT.

• maggiepie_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dan, I have a nice streaked seedling that is around 4 years old. It has no corrugation. Am wondering if next year I might manage to cross it with IAT.
    Unfortunately, IAT flowers quite a bit earlier than the seedling which is flowering at the moment but has only made 2 small pods which is disappointing.
    How much time is there for pollinating a flower, I read that the window of opportunity is quite short.
    If I manage to collect pollen, how long does it keep?
    Sorry for all the questions.
    I did notice the beautiful yellow with the corrugation.
    Do those plants go chartreuse or gold by late summer?

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Dan, I agree, it is mostly good to wait. Several of my 2 year old streakers initially had uneven streaks, but this year streaks are even and leaves are round. One of these older seedlings actually has a yellow centered stable sport.
    Bernd

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Dansgrdn gave me some of his cross seeds for my birthday last year but I must not have watered them regularly or drown them at the time of germination and I am sorry to say they never made it. I should have saved some seeds and sprinkled them under a hosta in my flower bed because I have loads of germination of seedlings under many hosta and they lived .Some on their second year but nothing as beautiful as dans cross. If I had the chance again would try them that way. Sorry dan.,,,, if that sounds like a hint, I have a birthday next week lol

• dansgrdn
    9 years ago

Maggiepie, the yellow holds quite a while, but about August, they start to turn chartreuse. There is a link to an article on freezing pollen on the lower left hand corner of the Hosta Library Home page. Pollen if kept dry is usually good for about a week at room temp in my experience. Frozen correctly, it can last a year or more. A few years ago I used quite a bit of refrigerated pollen and it lasts weeks to a couple of months, so you could potentially refrigerate pollen from IAT and use it. Might be easier to just watch the seed auctions on the Hosta Library this Fall and Winter and pick up some O.P. seed from a corrugated one you like, if that is what you are going for. Doug Beilstein's HostaWorks site has really inexpensive seeds for sale around Thanksgiving too. The streaked seedling in the ADG post, that someone mentioned came from Doug's seed.

Faye, sorry you did not have any luck with the seeds I sent.

Dan

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Wow, the chance to grow something like the first IAT x Steve Moldovan would make anyone think about growing seed. It's a beautiful plant, Dan.

bk

• maggiepie_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dan, thanks for the great advice and especially for the mention of HostaWorks. Have not seen that site before when searching for seed sellers.
    Have not been able to figure out how the Hosta Library seed auction works as yet but with luck I will figure it out this year.