Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Olive Bailey Langdon green leaves

prairie_love
9 years ago

This is my OBL. I love her big leaves with that nice yellow margin, and she seems to be pretty happy (although starting to get crowded). But why are some leaves completely green? Is that just the way she is or is she not happy about something?

Comments (7)

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

I like the look but the danger is that you will end up with sieboldiana (the parent) and no OBL. Others will offer advice on separating the two, but if it were mine, I would wait until late September or so and then dig it up, separate the two inclinations, and replant separately. Try to give it room to show off those magnificent big round leaves that characterize OBL. It's an Alex Summers masterpiece. (That Thunderbolt beside it is already doing its thing, and both could use more room.) By the way, you have a VERY nice garden (judging from this corner of it).

Steve

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

some of us might call those leaves blue ...

ken

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh well, and here you were worrying about my inability to grow blue leaves in ND :)

So, Steve, the plant is reverting to its parent? I definitely don't want that, so will anticipate advice on how to separate (which I will be terrified to do).

And the one beside it is Dream Queen, not Thunderbolt. Unless it was mislabeled too.

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And Steve, thank you so much for the generous compliment. I have seen the photos people post on this forum and there are some fantastic gardens! I will try to post a few in the next day or two that show more of the hosta beds.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Prairielove,

That doesn't look like Dream Queen to me either. Mine is 7 years old and the gold/cream center is much wider. Unless your hosta is really, really old I don't think it's DQ.

I have three variegated hostas sporting solid leaves: Brother Stefan, Great Arrival and Ice Age Trail. I'm not going to lift the whole plant, will just shovel prune the solid eye.

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

Prairie,

Just back from my garden where I decided that you had Dream Queen, not Thunderbolt (they are quite similar). Smarter folk than I won't buy the lookalikes, but I have Great Expectations, Dream Weaver, Dream Queen, and Thunderbolt - along with a case of chronic confusion.

Yes, your OBL is a sport of sieboldiana, and part of it is reverting. So you need to save the sport (definitely worth the effort).

And yes, please show us more of your garden. It's rare for us to have someone from North Dakota on the forum, so welcome and come back often.

Steve

• hostanovice
    9 years ago

Hi all, I was looking into this as I have what I believe to be that hosta in question in my garden. Dream Queen looks to have a yellow center and Thunderbolt is more white. The pic above looks like a white center, very similar to mine so they look like Thunderbolt to my very untrained eye! What makes you both think otherwise?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting