Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imahighrider

Hairy thing on my hosta

imahighrider
10 years ago

I recently purchased a First Frost hosta and there is what looks like to be hair, very stiff and hard, on the part where the top of the root is. Is this normal? Can someone tell me if it is and if so exactly what it is called.
Should I remove it or leave it as is. Thank you.

Comments (4)

• jadie88
    10 years ago

It's supposed to be there! Carry on... :)

...not sure if you just pulled back the soil for the photo, but that crown should be covered just a bit more...you've got a couple roots there looking for dirt.

This post was edited by jadie88 on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 16:39

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

A remnants of last years division, ignore it.

Paul

edit- ....and welcome to the hosta forum....just noticed you joined today.

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 18:15

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

that is what is left of last years leaf.. when you ripped it off.. after it turned into gelatinous goo in fall ... or cleaned it up this spring..

think of the stringy part of celery ... and that is the part you cant chew thru ...

ignore it...

if you look at the leaf petiole right behind it.. the green stalk.. you can see the celery like structure in the live leaf ... in the white part...

ken

ps: all of a sudden i have a craving for celery with cream cheese... of which i have neither ... bummer ...

ps:.. to enable you.. july/august i root growing time... when the hosta is storing energy to pop out of the ground next spring.. which it does all on stored energy ... and in your pic.. those two rootlets.. are that process just begun ... ignore those also... they will get into the ground with no need for you to interfere ...

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

I love this post. This is a very good question that so many of us have seen but not really questioned. I now am interested in 'the rest of the story'.

Where's Mr. Schmid, Mr Pollock, et. al., when we need 'em ?

fwiw,
    hh

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!