Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone identify these for me?

Posted by crazymommy 7b NC (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 15:34

Hi
A neighbor gave me these this spring and I didn't expect them to flower this year, but they just began blooming. I'd love to know of there is a name for them. They smell like jasmine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone identify these for me?

The flowers

o

Looks like Royal Standard, with blossoms right on time (see elsewhere for threads on August bloomers, fragrant hostas, and plantaginea-related hostas.)

Steve

o

it might look like RS from the side... somewhat vase shaped...

i gotta tell you.. straight down pix make it hard ...

if you retake the pic.. throw in a scale... anything we all might recognize ...

ken

o

This is my 12 yo sitting next to it with the cat behind him

o

Lol, I think Ken meant a pen, beer can or camera lens cap for scale, but your 12 year old son will do! What did he think when mom asked him to sit next to the plant? ;)

o

I think he's used to me doing odd things. That is why he's not looking at me. He knew it wasn't a photo for him. Lol. I couldn't think of anything that would be easy to size.....a pot seemed questionable as did a watering can since their size is variable.

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 2:14

Something on a leaf will do. I have a 11 yr old grandaughter who would be doing that same looking off deal. Cannot tell leaf size from 12 yr. olds..they vary in size. Go for a pen or beer can on a leaf. Everyone knows those more better (!) than the size of a 12 yr. Old.
He is an adorable 12 year old, or should I say a manly 12 yr. old.just in case he sees this?

-Babka

o

I have Royal Standards in containers in bloom and making seedpods this month too. Here is one of mine for comparison.

Yours will probably make seedpods too. You can leave them on the plant and let them self sow this winter so there will be seedlings next year.

RS has blooms about 4 inches long or so, maybe just 3 inches long. If they are in the 6 inch long range, then you have the main fragrant hosta, plantaginea or any of her sports. I think RS is a likely candidate though.

It is a plant that keeps on giving. Fragrant hosta were called the friendship plant or Old August Lily (they are not lilies but....) so your neighbor is carrying on an old tradition.

Glad you dropped by for a visit. Come back often. :)

o

...and here are some flowers and seedpods. The RS areto right of the round stepping stones. Lots of fragrants are blooming at this time of year.

o

Ah, beautiful, Mocc! I need to go take some new pics when dawn breaks.

Don B.

o

• Posted by bragu 5a DSM (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 16:35

a beer can?

beer, out of a can?

when did they start doing that?

dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here