Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you think my Shore Master is sporting?

Posted by funnthsun 7B - NC (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 15:43

Hello, Everyone!

One of these things is not like the others...

I noticed an eye on my Lakeside Shore Master that seems a bit different. This one is new to me, so I'm not familiar with how the new leaves color up. Is this just what Shore Master does, or do you think it could be sporting?

The first pic is that side of the plant, showing you the first two leaves at the bottom that are different. 2nd pic is the 2nd leaf on the left in the first pic. The rest of the pics are the rest of the 7 leaves on this eye. Only one of them (shown in the last pic) looks like Shore Master as of now. Note: The others in the first pic that look like Shore Master are on a different eye. photo IMG_1177_zps6f8924d3.jpg
 photo IMG_1179_zps2d7dff5d.jpg
 photo IMG_1180_zps55029840.jpg
 photo IMG_1181_zps8a51eb44.jpg
 photo IMG_1182_zps1230067b.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you think my Shore Master is sporting?

I'd reserve judgement on this one... LSM is kind of variable... color changes with the season, also variable from new leaf to old leaf... but there is also the possibility of it being a narrow-centered sport. All you can do is wait and see... AND...

that is way too big a plant for that little pot... get that bad boy into the ground or a couple gallon pot! That new foliage could be affected by stress...

o

Thanks for the info on sporting. I'll keep an eye on this one.

As I said, I just got this one, so haven't repotted it yet, lol, it's been 1 whole week!

o

I don't think it's doing anything different because those leaves look very much like the current second flush of leaves look like on my Shore Master. LSM is my favorite hosta this year. It's the new 'front door' hosta, replacing Holy Mole. HM got too much sun in that location to show a nice contrast so it got moved to more shade. LSM has been a great grower (planted last summer) and mine is keeping a blue/ green color with yellow centers. Doesn't get a whole lot of sun and no afternoon sun at all. Also have been a very cool summer here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here