Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

everything that blooms in august ....

you check for fragrance ...

everything ... you might be surprised...

it is said.. that all fragrant hosta come from plantiginea ...

it was previously called the august lily.. because it blooms in.. wait for it.. august ...

so ... if you see any white flower in august.. or any color flower .. give it a whiff...

and try it with witnesses ... lol ... dr dave was here over the weekend.. we were playing the game... on 3.. i.. the cigarette smoker ... and his girlfriend could smell such.. and he couldnt ... go figure on that ... it never surprises me.. with garden guests.. how the ability to smell.. and ID a smell.. varies person to person ..... but i digress ....

ken

Comments (21)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Ah, my favourite subject!!!

I was at a large nursery in Toronto back in May where, while in conversation with a staff member, she referred to the scent of the "August lily"....to which I replied "you mean Plantaginea?"... "Yes, the August lily" she stated. Lol

So far, these are my observations in my garden...I'll keep on sniffing!

July

> 9th - lily scent on BME and lighter scent on Blue Cadet
    > 11th - scent on unidentified little golden NOID
    > 15th - scent on mini Kifukurin Otome

August

> 3rd - scent on uppermost flower of Golden Scepter...i.e., most recently opened

A few more are ready to open soon. Will report back. :-)

Thanks, Ken - if we encouraged Hostanovice to go out and sniff at her 500 new hostas, do you think we'd see her back by nightfall? Lol

Jo

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

At your suggestion, I went out to smell Wolverine. It's not very fragrant, which means I can't smell it. I tried the humpback whale, but I can't smell it, either.

Of course, So Sweet has a wonderful scent, as does Guacamole. Invincible is a little less fragrant to me. Fragrant Dream still has blossoms, but everything else seems to be finished.

bk

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

The neighbors already think I'm crazy...now I have to go nose-down with the hostas? :-)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I can't even detect fragrance on either of my Dickinsons (Emily and Austin)...go figure, indeed...or Invincible...or Sugar and Spice...or 'fragrant' blue...

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nooooo ... you pick a single flower and bring it to your face.. remove the anthers.. the yellow pollen [dont wnat you looking like oopsy the clown] ...

and smell it ...

if so inclined.. eat it ... or throw it down ...

fragrance is transitory.. if weak ... so you might try in the morning... just after opening [think weekend] .. or in the afternoon .. should it be a night bloomer.. like plantaginea ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

I actually noticed fragrance on Fragrant Blue the other day. I was prepping some flowers nearby on a cool day in the early evening and noticed a light be definite fragrance. That surprised me because I hadn't noticed it before and thought it was not fragrant, despite the name. It's one of the bluest plants in the garden.

Steve

9 years ago

Dark Shadows is supposed to be fragrant (as noted in the "HL Lists"). My new one has one scape...I almost missed it yesterday afternoon as it was hiding behind the behemoth S&S. I was surprised to find no scent...raining today...will try again in the morning. Anyone have a DS and can comment on scent?

Update: no, no scent on Dark Shadows bloom.

Here is another one that had a scent today, Sum and Substance...and witnessed, Ken, lol. The comment about it being the 2nd largest flower next to Plantaginea...in MY garden as I don't have Aphrodite nor Athena.

It's nice to see the larger blooms on S&S - more in proportion to the size of the plant. I don't recall the flowers last year being as substantial....longer throat and wider bell this summer. Sweet!

This post was edited by josephines67 on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 1:44

9 years ago

Any surprise fragrance in your garden, Ken?

9 years ago

FYI
    Aug. 6/14... Lakeside Shore Master and Hydon Sunset - both had lightly scented flowers. There are certainly a lot of variations in the intensity of the lily scent!

Am I the only "sniffer" left that is interested in this thread...or are you waiting on the Fragrants, like I am as well? Lol

• irawon
    9 years ago

Jo, only two of my fragrants on the fragrants list have bloomed and opened: So Sweet and Guacamole... and the scent is devine... but I had to get the bloom right up to my face to get a whiff of the fragrance. I understand that the loss of smell and Alzheimers is related. Do I need to be worried?

Ken, at your suggestion I went out and smelled everything still blooming but no other scents to report.

I will check Fragrant Blue, Frosted Dimples, Royal Standard, Stained Glass and Sugar and Spice once their blossoms open.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

But was it called August lily because it blooms in August, or is it because it is an august, or impressive, lily?

I could argue both, quite augustly.

But yeah, it's got that smell good thing goin' on too.

dave

9 years ago

Lol - you are both so witty!
    Today, my new Cathedral Windows graced me with its first open bloom...very fragrant and sweet smelling. Take a whiff!

I had better trim off those spotted peony leaves! Ugh

9 years ago

Heavenly blooms of Cathedral windows today.

Hydon Sunset is definitely a fragrant hosta in this garden...no matter time or day, the flowers have a lovely scent.

Plantaginea's scapes are at least a foot tall already...

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

My guacomoles, stained glass, fried green tomato, cerveza, mojito and frozen margarita ( a drink, anyone?) are all in bloom and smell heavenly. My doubled up, poisiden and Athena have yet to bloom. Here's one with a very fragrant bloom right that I have no idea what it is. Anyone know?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

That might be Diana Remembered. It's just a guess, but it looks very much like mine. Yours is nice-sized.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 13:27

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

My fragrants are just about finish blooming. The Fried Bananas were heavenly this year. The last to bloom is a young Frozen Margarita.

{{gwi:1074772}}

DD

9 years ago

Thanks so much Don. That's exactly what it is. We moved from our previous home in November and in my rush to save as many hosta's as I could I didn't label them. Diana Remembered was one I had. Now I'm down to about 12 out of 250 that I don't know the names of! Thanks again.

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Hmmm...I think plantaginea used to have the largest flowers of any hosta...but I believe it's surpassed now with the huge flowers on Doubled Up. Can anyone post a pic of Doubled Up in bloom, with a measuring stick so we see the mammoth size? And please let us know how the fragrance is compared to plantaginea...

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Lederhosen has a delightfully strong scent.
    Kathy

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Cool, thanks for posting that, Kathy. I was wondering how strong it's scent might be. I would get it anyway, but that info never hurts. : )

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 13:29

9 years ago

My doubled up isn't on bloom yet but when it is I'll post a pic.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting