Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steelskies_gw

bud getta plus - not doing the trick

steelskies
9 years ago

I thought I was pretty religious about using this early in the year. and think I used it three times total this summer, plus am doing it now. I had one potted plant that definitely had the bug getta plus distributed on the soil, and saw one huge slug on it the other night. The leaves are pretty well riveted with slug holes.

Any ideas what else I can do. I have A LOT of hostas, so using the buggetta plus is pretty expensive. I've used 3 big boxes so far. I know the product needs some moisture to work, and for the pellets to break apart and that isn't the problem either. There is moisture there. HELP!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• steelskies
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another picture

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

It sounds like you are using too much of it. It is a killer but also an attractant, so use it evenly in the garden and around the perimeter and use it sparingly so that it kills the slugs you have without attracting new ones. When you pile it up in one spot you will attract the neighborring slugs to come and feast. They may eventually eat the slug bait and die or they might just eat the hosta instead. By spreading it evenly all around the garden you will have a better chance of killing them.

The correct way to use it is to spread 6 or 7 pellets per square foot, so you almost don't notice it in any one spot. Use it in the fall to kill them at breeding time and then again to kill the babies in the spring - again in the summer to catch those that got away the other two times.

Hope that helps.

Chris

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Try getting Deadline M -P's. It's much more effective and longer lasting. I believe you can purchase it online as I don't think it's available retail. I've been using it for over 10 years and you'd be hard pressed to find a slug in my garden. It's the only chemical I use on the yard and it's presumably worm and bird safe. If only it worked for cutworms as they are killing me this year.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Are you certain the damage is caused by slugs in that pot? Do you see any slime trails? It is possible that something else is gobbling? Tiny little green worms can also cause damage like that too. Carefully turn each leaf over to see if they are still there. I have about 90 pots and I put Sluggo pellets around the pots on the deck, not in the pots. I only put it in the pot if I see ANY damage and know that the culprit is nearby, perhaps hiding in the leaves. I have never had much success with Bug Geta (metaldehyde), and here we get whopper snails too all year around since we don't freeze.

-Babka

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I noticed that there are always newcomers of slugs, so I need to sprinkle every 2 weeks if it rains. It seems that some other animals eat the BugGeta Plus pellets, is strange. Hopefully those get stomach upsets and learn.
    I am using one $11 (3 lbs) bottle on 350 hostas every 2 weeks. I have only little damage on soft leaves. In most areas I have no damage, so it seems no slugs. That perimeter baiting (Chris) seems to be important, because slugs seem to come under the back fence, probably should spread it into that property.
    Bernd

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Yes, Bernd, I sprinkle Sluggo along our fences every few weeks...(in CA every yard is fenced), also next to the house as our snails hide on the house trim or eaves for months/years before deciding to roam and gobble. Ever vigilant.

I think the most important thing is to catch them right away if you see any damage. My pots are easy to patrol daily to catch that first hole. But then I am anal about my hostas. Silly Me.

-Babka

• steelskies
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babka,
    I saw a slug eating my potted hosta wne I went out at night with my flashlight,, so definitely know its slugs. It was a BIG one, with the bugetta sitting right in the pot. Guess I'll try something else.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I had thrown BugGeta around hostas, also next to a few tree leaves from a recent storm. Next day there were slimy tracks of the slugs which had hidden under the tree leaves and could not resist the pellets. In my yard it works.

• User
    9 years ago

Yep, I don't put it in my pots. I sprinkle it sparingly around the area a bit removed from the pots. I keep them moving AWAY as much as I can, then I watch. We have so much rain that the bait must be refreshed every week or so. Once it dissolves, it is worthless.