Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostas_for_barb_6b_on_canada

June Fever

hostas_for_barb
9 years ago

Don't see too many pics of June Fever on the forum so thought I would share mine. She is in full bloom in full sun and seems to take it pretty well.

Comments (11)

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Wowser!!

DD

• User
    9 years ago

Did not mean to overlook June Fever. It is one with my favorite variegation, being a yellow midleaf with a green narrow margin.
    In May this year....shown with friends having similar variegation...Orange Marmalade, Volcano Island, Paradise Island, Woop Woop, and Georgia Sweetheart.

. Then in late June.in bloom with multiple scapes.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Wow, Barb! Thats a gorgeous plant. Is that much different than Pauls Glory? My under educated hosta brain would like to know the differences.

Sherry

• donrawson
    9 years ago

That is a stunning clump, Barb!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Another example yet of your beautiful mature hostas. Barb, I'm with Don R......a stunning clump, indeed! Largest one yet! and grown beautifully.

• tnjdm
    9 years ago

All those picks are stunning!

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks, DonR, but in case you think it is one hosta, oh no. It is a variety of similar variegated hosta in different pots, but close together. Like I said, that is my favorite variegated pattern, and I have them near one another. The June Fever is only the section of this photo which has blooms.

And Sherry, I am not knowledgeable enough to know the differences either. I keep referring to the HostaLibrary.org and following links to myhostas.be website where I find the specs and names of sports and hybrids from certain plants. We are very fortunate to have such resources for us hosta fans. Plus, all of Don Rawson's LISTS too. I'm sure you saw the thread for all the newbies? It lists such resources. I'll try to find it and bump it to the top of the first page. Watch for it.

Thank you Don for your remarks though. I hope one day to have some hosta which can stand alone as stunning clumps. I'm not that far removed from being a "newbie" myself. Perhaps in the "sophomore" stage by now. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Don Rawson's Hosta Lists

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Donna, Sherry, and Dawn. JF was my most expensive hosta purchase when I got it at the grocery store hoop house a few years ago. Saw it in their flyer and loved it.

Sherry, my Paul's Glory was new last year and so I really don't have a mature one to compare. I think June Fever has smallerleaves. There is something about the leaves that I usually recognize. My hosta books say that PG has leaves 9x7 - JF 6x3.5. The green margin is also smaller with JF (3/16") and PG (3/4"). And Paul's Glory also grows into a much larger clump. My JF already exceeds the clump size in my book of 16x30"

Mocc: Beautiful June type collection. I have English sunrise, June, and June Fever but the latter two are still young.

Barb

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Don & Jo: I don't have too many 'stunning clumps' yet but I am working on it. Right now I am trying to get in the ground all the hostas I purchased in the spring when I lost my mind and got carried away with their beauty. I have a sloped bed and have found a few spots where I can tuck in another hosta but it is so tricky trying to get a complimentary colour, texture and form to go with the surrounding hostas and plants. And then you have to figure the size and allow for growth and then consider how much sun exposure that spot gets. it is amazing I ever plant anything! LOL
    I've already put a few in and wondering if I chose the right one. I guess the good news is that they are fairly easy to move if you find a better location. But I am finding that getting the right location is really important if you want the big clumps. And I am gardening on a regular subdivision lot - not like some of the beautiful sites I see on this forum. Oh to have a big piece of property where I could plant hostas to my heart's content.
    Barb

• bluerose007
    9 years ago

Here is my June Fever. Still very young.

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bluerose, love that colour - yours must be in some shade. That colour and the shiny leaf is what sold me on this one. Very pretty.