Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Where does H. 'Blue Hawaii' get its fragrance

User
11 years ago

I noticed this hosta on the fragrant flowered hosta list. I do not have it, but I was checking out its parentage/lineage in MYHOSTAS.BE and also at Wade & Gatton's shopping list.

I cannot figure where the fragrance comes from. It is described as "lightly fragrant."

Are not all fragrant hosta from the plantaginea line?

Or maybe some other hosta species has fragrance?

Any help here and a picture as well, would be appreciated.

Comments (18)

• allnitro
    11 years ago

Believe it or not but all hosta flowers have a fragrance, just us humans don't smell it on most of them. Some have notes from garlic to lemons, not just the stronger avon smell of plantaginea. They taste like freshly picked peas too.

So while you are out admiring the beauty of your hosta flowers take time to stop and smell the hosta.

Black Hawk Giboshi

• allnitro
    11 years ago

From the AHS Registry:

'Sagae' K. Watanabe (N) AHS (R) 1996 Plant: 26 in. (66 cm) diameter, 20 in. (51 cm) high; Leaf: 13 in. (32 cm) long, 10 in. (24 cm) wide; 12 pairs of veins; dull yellow green; bright pale yellow margin; irregular undulations; glaucous green underneath; Scape: 34 in. (86 cm) long; [Parentage Unknown]

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

probably from bengee ...

ken

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Who is bengee?

bkay

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

allnitro,

Sagae is fragrant, so I assumed it had Plantaginea lineage. It may not, but this would make it one of a kind.

Jon

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, there was another one on the Fragrant-flowered hosta list (Don's lists) which had Sagae in the background. I did not know it was fragrant, never heard it had any plantaginea connection.

The Bengee I looked up too, and I'm thinking that had Sagae...but that was over an hour ago that I was dwelling on that subject,and my mind is now a clean slate again. Reset button punched, had dinner etc, starting over. No holding pattern apparently.

Thanks for the quick input, you all.

• donrawson
    11 years ago

I'm not sure how Blue Hawaii was placed on the Fragrant-flowered Hostas list. I was told recently that it's not fragrant, so I intend to remove it when the list is updated next year. Sorry for the misinformation.

If someone can confirm that it is fragrant, then I will consider leaving it on the list.

• allnitro
    11 years ago

I have messaged Olga and will pass on her answer when she replies.

Jeff White

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Don, did not think it was a mistake being there, just could not figure out how it became fragrant. Hate to pester you about the lists, they are such a blessing to have. The Fragrant-Flowered Hosta is one I consult often as I choose hosta or index my plants.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

my hosta lists BH as:

('Bengee' x 'Sagae') x 'Tokudama Aureonebulosa'

if its not sagae.. and not TA... all you have left is the white flowered bengee ..

never knew/heard that sagae was fragrant...

and too bad.. bengee was a ruh registration.. most likely we will never know its true genes

ken

• allnitro
    11 years ago

I got this reply from Olga:

"Hi Jeff, I did not even know that Blue Hawaii had a fragrance. It is a cross of Bengee and Tokudama Aurea Nebulosa. Could be from Bengee. I have not heard of frangrance from Tokudama's but possible."

Jeff White

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome.....

Thank you Jeff! I had no thoughts of a question of mine eliciting a response from a name as respected as Olga.

....(think I'm turning into a hosta groupie?)..:)

Fantastic!.....

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In a spirit of scientific experimentation, I got Blue Hawaii this week for my garden. It's great looking, and pretty big right out of the box. One big eye, with about 3 small ones trying to poke up around the perimeter.

Now we'll see if it has a scent, or what time of year it blooms.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Blue Hawaii' is not a 'fragrant' Hosta, I'm sorry to say.

Don B.

• donrawson
    10 years ago

'Blue Hawaii' has been removed from the list of FRAGRANT-FLOWERED HOSTAS.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Mocc, even though it's not a fragrant Hosta, you won't be disappointed. It's (In my humble opinion) an outrageously beautiful creation, one of the best blues, and, really, one of the best Hostas, period. Also, for another view at Olga eye-candy, look up 'Viva Las Vegas' at the Hosta Library.

Regards,
    Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Never fear, it is a lovely hosta anyway, and I just potted mine up. It will not be thrown out for sure. I won't hold its lack of fragrance against it at all.

Thanks, DonR and DonB for the input. The LIST is my favorite shopping tools for fragrant hosta.

We're about to begin 3 days of rain, so I must take pictures of it now before the bottom falls out.