Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

A hosta that looks like this?

bkay2000
10 years ago

I found this hosta online while looking for something else. They want $50.00 per eye for it. Is there something similar to it? I like the light green and the rugose texture. Any size other than small would be fine.

bk

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (16)

• donrawson
    10 years ago

There are lots of hostas that look like that. Just go to the list of Gold-leaved Hostas and look them up in the Hosta Library until you find one you like. Or you can page through The Hostapedia, or better yet, The New Encyclopedia of Hostas which is arranged by leaf color.

The hosta you are considering is 'Shark Skin' (M. and R. Zadonis, 2009). It was registered as an all-gold sport of 'Garden Treasure'. Hosta 'Garden Treasure' is a sport of hosta 'Treasure' which has all-gold leaves. I wonder if there is any difference between 'Shark Skin' and 'Treasure'. According to my Hosta Finder, you can buy 'Treasure' for $8. I wouldn't pay $50 per eye for a hosta if there are others out there that are just as good for a lot less money.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Lakeside Frosted Mint

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Centerfold?

I have this one, a bit of a slow grower which starts out green and then becomes gold.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta 'Centerfold'

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Steve. So is 'Shark Skin' but not so much at 50 bucks an eye.

Don B.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Aspen Gold? I was reading another thread that mentioned it, so I had to find a pic of one I saw last summer. Looks close enough for me!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

A hosta is only worth what someone is willing to fork over. That one wouldn't get me to fork over anything. Interesting yes, but not different enough.

-Babka

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's different to what I have. It reminds me of Sum and Substance, but mine is not rugose. If it would get that color of green at my house, with that texture, it would definitely be a keeper.

It's really good that we don't all like the same things.

bk

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! That Aspen Gold is a looker.

LOTG has it.

But, I already have a ton of hosta coming his fall.

But, nothing like that.

See......................?

I can rationalize anything, particularly a new hosta.

bk

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Golden Sculpture ('10 tour garden)

Paul

• User
    10 years ago

BKay, take a look at Faith. A cross of Evening Magic x Big Daddy, registered by Don Dean in 1999.

I'm suggesting you look at the Hosta Library because the one I have is so young, it has not acquired the corrugating which will come with maturity. But is is not chartreuse. It is gold. And here is a picture of it with Tortilla Chip, to show the color differences.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Oh... so many...

First of all - one I don't grow... Abiqua Recluse - the all-yellow parent plant of Abiqua Paradigm. Dr. Chuck Purtyman at Walden West in Oregon named his hostas for Abiqua Creek that ran by the property. Some pretty good plants get ignored because people are put off by a name they aren't sure they can pronounce. Still, Abiqua Drinking Gourd continues to be popular. But thankfully, Abiqua Paradigm was renamed to just Paradigm - and is one of the greatest hostas of all time. I assume the all-yellow parent is a good plant.

You say you like the light green... so do take a look at Lime Piecrust.

In the yellows... so many good large corrugated-leaf plants...

Piedmont Gold has been no muss - no fuss easy...

Closerup of Piedmont Gold

You have to use your imagination... if Rich Uncle wasn't crowded by Sun Kissed on the left and the (ineffective) fencing to keep varmints away from the tomatoes on the right...

And again... use your imagination... Sutter's Mill trying to reach its head above a sprawling ornamental rhubarb plant ...

• User
    10 years ago

Wow, those are some beauties, Idiothe!
    Lime Piecrust would look great anywhere.
    And I like my Rich Uncle. It even set a couple of seed pods this summer. And it is still gold, holding its color nicely.

Sutter's Mill holds its leaves horizontally. It would be nice to see if it is exposing its petioles, or vase shaped below the umbrella like canopy of leaves.

Not a loser in the bunch, Jim. thanks for the back story of Abiqua Recluse and Paradigm.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Oh man, these are great, Jim. I need more golds. And 'Lime Piecrust'; Need that one, too. Paul, thanks for the 'Golden Sculpture' pic.

Don B.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, that's a huge number of great choices. I really like that Aspen Gold and Lime Piecrust.

How do you keep them from turning yellow? I love the color of Guacamole and it doesn't turn yellow at my house.

bk

• idiothe
    10 years ago

One more... with a little different look... Lemon Twist. I have it in my Tea Party garden (beverage, not politics) with Teatime, Tea and Crumpets, Teaspoon, Sugar and Cream, Cracker Crumbs and Cookie Crumbs.

and now you can see why I find it difficult to take someone seriously who thinks their yellow hosta is so special it is worth $50 for an eye...

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Actually,it looks like my Rich Uncle,which is large leafed in my garden,and very puckered right now. Phil