Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
H. 'Night Before Christmas'

Posted by Don_in_Colorado 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 16:44

Got this in I think August last year from Hallson Gardens' awesome late-season sale. Looking OK, I think it likes the spot I put it in. Pic taken yesterday. How's your NBC doing? Please post a pic, if ya got 'em.

Thanks,
Don B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: H. 'Night Before Christmas'

Yours is looking good. I think it does like that location.

Mine is 4 years old. Was a scraggly little thing when I got it, never thought it would look like this someday. This year it is 27 eyes, 23"tall, 42" wide.

o

Yours is beautiful, Hostahosta. I hope mine grows like that.

Don B.

o

Mine's doing okay - bought in 2011 and photo taken July 13 this year.

o

Move NBC a couple of years ago and it's starting to recover and look good.
Hosta 'Night Before Christmas' (06)-002

Paul

o

not bad.. but i prefer Bud Is Wiser

ken

o

Mine's got southern blight.

Kathy

o

Mine is several years old and this year is the first it has looked half way decent. It usually seems to be a slug magnet and tears quite easily.

This picture was taken in July. If I took one today, I'd have to enter it in Ruth's post of Dirty Laundry (What's Really Ratty). All of my plants are shredded from a hail storm.

o

Looks great in your pic though, Jerry.

Don B.

o

These 2 are noids. I was thinking the one on the left is NBC, but looking at yours now I'm not so sure.
What do you think?

photo DSC00670.jpg

o

no its not NBC.. nor BIW ...

almost looks like a striptease sport.. i know there is a name for it.. but i dont know it ... mark this date ... lol

ken

o

James, I think the one on the right is Paul's Glory.

One on the left is maybe Risky Business?

Don B.

o

photo 2014-08-20001001_zps526ec34b.jpg

Slowly devouring my Pig Nut tree.

Jon

o

I think you are right Don.When I bought it there were some smaller ones that were labeled NBC but now I see that it is probably Risky Business.

The other one I thought was Paul's Glory too. I actually stole it last Fall!! A building near me had huge beds of what I know now to be PG,they ripped up the steps and I rode by and the hostas were gone just a big hole.When they dug up the other side I rode over with my butcher knife and cut off a piece and this is the result.I think the construction workers just pitched the other ones. So I did a rescue.

You asked me to post my new order--they didn't look so good as they got delayed in the post for over 8 days.I'm sure they will be fine--great roots but lousy looking leaves.
Sorry to hijack your thread!
James

o

Nope, you're not hijacking my thread, James.

At least the roots are good, that's what really counts!

Cheers,
Don B.

o

Mine looks so pitiful compared to all of yours. What am I doing wrong?

IMG_3403

o

Prairie Love, it looks to me like you have it planted too deep. I'd like to hear what other folks think.

Don B.

o

Looks to deep to me too.

o

I'd bring it up about maybe an inch or so, until you can see the separation of the petioles (stems) growing from the crown. Try and get it so what you see at ground level is the part that is lighter-colored than what you currently see. Does that make sense? Don't know if I worded that too well. Let us know.

Cheers,
Don B.

o

OK. I will try that. There is mulch on it, so should I get the level you describe at ground level, then mulch over, or should I get the level you describe at the top of the mulch?

I will move the mulch away this weekend and see where the plant emerges from the ground. I won't try moving it for a couple weeks though because it has been very hot and dry here. I will wait till better conditions for moving.

I think a lot of my hosta are probably too deep :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here