Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

H. 'Night Before Christmas'

don_in_colorado
9 years ago

Got this in I think August last year from Hallson Gardens' awesome late-season sale. Looking OK, I think it likes the spot I put it in. Pic taken yesterday. How's your NBC doing? Please post a pic, if ya got 'em.

Thanks,
Don B.

Comments (19)

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Yours is looking good. I think it does like that location.

Mine is 4 years old. Was a scraggly little thing when I got it, never thought it would look like this someday. This year it is 27 eyes, 23"tall, 42" wide.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yours is beautiful, Hostahosta. I hope mine grows like that.

Don B.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    9 years ago

Mine's doing okay - bought in 2011 and photo taken July 13 this year.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Move NBC a couple of years ago and it's starting to recover and look good.

Paul

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

not bad.. but i prefer Bud Is Wiser

ken

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Mine's got southern blight.

Kathy

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Mine is several years old and this year is the first it has looked half way decent. It usually seems to be a slug magnet and tears quite easily.

This picture was taken in July. If I took one today, I'd have to enter it in Ruth's post of Dirty Laundry (What's Really Ratty). All of my plants are shredded from a hail storm.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks great in your pic though, Jerry.

Don B.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

These 2 are noids. I was thinking the one on the left is NBC, but looking at yours now I'm not so sure.
    What do you think?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

no its not NBC.. nor BIW ...

almost looks like a striptease sport.. i know there is a name for it.. but i dont know it ... mark this date ... lol

ken

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

James, I think the one on the right is Paul's Glory.

One on the left is maybe Risky Business?

Don B.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Slowly devouring my Pig Nut tree.

Jon

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

I think you are right Don.When I bought it there were some smaller ones that were labeled NBC but now I see that it is probably Risky Business.

The other one I thought was Paul's Glory too. I actually stole it last Fall!! A building near me had huge beds of what I know now to be PG,they ripped up the steps and I rode by and the hostas were gone just a big hole.When they dug up the other side I rode over with my butcher knife and cut off a piece and this is the result.I think the construction workers just pitched the other ones. So I did a rescue.

You asked me to post my new order--they didn't look so good as they got delayed in the post for over 8 days.I'm sure they will be fine--great roots but lousy looking leaves.
    Sorry to hijack your thread!
    James

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nope, you're not hijacking my thread, James.

At least the roots are good, that's what really counts!

Cheers,
    Don B.

• prairie_love
    9 years ago

Mine looks so pitiful compared to all of yours. What am I doing wrong?

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Prairie Love, it looks to me like you have it planted too deep. I'd like to hear what other folks think.

Don B.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

Looks to deep to me too.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd bring it up about maybe an inch or so, until you can see the separation of the petioles (stems) growing from the crown. Try and get it so what you see at ground level is the part that is lighter-colored than what you currently see. Does that make sense? Don't know if I worded that too well. Let us know.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• prairie_love
    9 years ago

OK. I will try that. There is mulch on it, so should I get the level you describe at ground level, then mulch over, or should I get the level you describe at the top of the mulch?

I will move the mulch away this weekend and see where the plant emerges from the ground. I won't try moving it for a couple weeks though because it has been very hot and dry here. I will wait till better conditions for moving.

I think a lot of my hosta are probably too deep :(