Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just got Designer Genes......

Posted by sherrygirl none5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 17:06

Just got Designer Genes yesterday, couldn't resist. My plant is pretty small. Just wondering if anyone has grown this variety and what i should expect. Any input is appreciated! Pictures please!

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just got Designer Genes......

When I first got mine (August 2012) I really liked it. It hasn't wowed me since. It's ok, but really just so-so. I hope it will do better in your garden than mine. I'm going to give it one more season to mature - maybe 2015 is the "wow" year. Mine is in shade 90% of the day. Maybe more sun would make it shine. Interesting to hear what others have to say about it. This is the June 2014 pic.

o

Thanks for the response hostnista, was hoping for a few more.we may have check back to how the plants are doing. Just wish somebody beside us had some input. May have to start another with a more intriguing title

Sherry

o

I actually HAD one that I bought in 2012 very early in the season, and it grew well. I had it in sun for most of the morning, then dappled shade for most of the afternoon. Unfortunately it never came up in 2013. Digging around the area to investigate, it looked to me like voles got it.

I haven't replaced it yet, but there's no reason why I wouldn't. I'll probably get it again. Great colors on it.

Hope it does well for you.

Don B.

o

I found it a very fast grower and it's red stems and yellow leaves were a wonderful contrast in the first two or three years of growth. After that though, the red stems seemed to fade and the contrast was not nearly as noticeable. I've moved it to a better location. It has good slug resistance and is an easy grower. The bright yellow leaves fade to chartreuse as the season develops. It's showiest in spring. I still like it, though.

o

Thanks for the added responses! Was just wondering what to expect.

Sherry

o

I have two. One in the ground and one in a pot. The one in the pot on my deck is doing much better.

Steve

o

Just saw your thread, Sherry. I planted my DG in May, 2013 and like it so far. The pic is on June 5. The leaves started to look a little bleached later on but that might be because it's on a bit of a slope... will have to come up with something to keep the water from flowing down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here