Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Halcyon?

Posted by carolwOH none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 17:11

Can someone help me identify this hosta? I think it's halcyon and I tried looking it up in the Hosta Library. It does look like one of the pictures shown there, but I'm just not sure. It's just now starting to flower. Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Halcyon?

Probably. It's flowering at the right time and in the right way. Are you watering it overhead? That will take some of the blue wax off.

Steve

o

I rarely water it. It's only wet because I took this photo after it rained. It's planted in a very shaded area and receives no sunlight. Would more sunlight bring out it's blue color?

o

if you have june.. compare leaf shape ...

leave seem somewhat on the thin size. width-wise to be H ....

whats its history ... been there for decades.. year old newer variety????

blue is a wax on the surface of the hosta... sun will reduce it by august ...

i would bet.. on the 5 oclock side.. where the leaves are greenest.. that is the side that gets teh most sun ...

it is usually worn off by overhead watering ...

i am not convinced on the H ID ...

ken

o

The color is what throws it off. Mine is still somewhat blue even in Texas.

It could be just the wet leaves that makes it look so green.
Maybe it's a photo from a few months ago. Mine was still green when I bought it and then developed the blue.

It looks like mine, in shape.

Do any of those things apply?

bk

o

Bk, yes, I think those things apply. Ken, I think perhaps the tree roots are interfering with the normal growth of the hosta thereby inhibiting the natural progression to wider leaves?

It looks young in characteristics but it also makes me think it might be two years or older.?

I went out to take a look at my sports which I separated from June last year. The potted one resembles Carol's and the other has recently been planted...the larger of the two. See what you all think as a comparison.

Jo

o

It is Halcyon - which is still one of the bluest hosta all thru the summer heat and sun.

Bruce

o

One of my halcyons

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here