Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

OT ... X Parancanda revisited

paul_
10 years ago

Just a few shots of the ones I planted at the folks' place many years ago. Took these pics when I was up for a visit earlier this month.

Bit redder than many (usually this variation is more orange with red spots)
{{gwi:266238}}

Nice clean yellow
{{gwi:266241}}

Rather nice "fiery" color, IMO
{{gwi:266243}}

This dark type has always been a favorite
{{gwi:266245}}

And because it seems a waste to create a thread just for this one bloom
{{gwi:266318}}

Comments (5)

• User
    10 years ago

Paul, thanks so much for bringing this refreshing set of pictures to the forum. And they're planted and haven't been disturbed, do your parents actively garden with these plants you present here? No wonder you are a great gardener. It's in the family! I love the flamed one the wildfire colored one. And I guess I love the rest of them too. I'll have to look these plants up. Exotic, but grow outdoors in cold places? Neat. MUST check them out.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Hi, Paul...did I already post under companion planting that my yellow Belamcanda survived and is blooming? If not, here is a pic...taken in bright sunlight, not the greatest picture....since it IS a relative of Parancanda, I didn't think you'd mind if I showed you a pic? I also looked up the "candy lily" and they have such a beautifully striking presence in the garden, don't they?

Here's 'Hello Yellow'

10 years ago

What I find of interest is the detail in the petals...three alternate flower petals are larger than the other three alternate petals . . . a cool feature!

My Blackberry Lily still blooming along the northwest wall of the house...my work area and holding tank for uprooted plants waiting for relocation. This one took three years to grow from seeds before it flowered.

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by josephines67
    Hi, Paul...did I already post under companion planting that my yellow Belamcanda survived and is blooming?

No idea at all, m'dear -- can't remember the last time I visited that forum section.

â¢Posted by josephines67
    I didn't think you'd mind if I showed you a pic?

Not at all. However, I will say that I think your yellow Belamcanda isn't, but rather is a X Parancanda. From what I had read (though I cannot remember the source so we could check for its veracity), Belamcanda only comes in the orange with red spots ... more like your second flower.

â¢Posted by moccasinlanding
    Paul, thanks so much for bringing this refreshing set of pictures to the forum.

No prob, Mocc. Glad ya liked them.

And they're planted and haven't been disturbed,...

They've been separated and moved once or twice over the years, but largely undisturbed.

...do your parents actively garden with these plants you present here? No wonder you are a great gardener. It's in the family!

No, I'm the only gardener in the family. The beds my folks have are ones I planted long ago and have occasionally rearranged as needed or desired. My dad has gotten to the point of gamely planting some annuals. I've tried to adjust the beds over the years to be mainly perennials as I typically only get up to their place once or twice late spring and then a few times over the summer. Anything too "active" wouldn't get done in my absence. Mowing is about the only yard maintenance my dad enjoys. (And woe be to ANY plant that gets in his way once he is on the riding lawnmower! LOL)

10 years ago

Your little faces are cute! The label on the yellow says Belamcanda chinensis...I just checked online before posting back...they show a number of yellow ones...see what you think...four years ago i hadn't a clue about these pretty flowers and when you posted your pics, I wanted more, especially the dark spotted one.

Glad you shared.
    Jo