Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Any guesses for an ID?

We were at RBG (Royal Botanical Gardens) this afternoon and I loved this hosta we saw there.

The label was missing :-( Those flower stalks were 4' tall! I forgot to check if the flowers had scent. DH went back and checked and said 'no' - but his nose is none too sensitive so that could be a 'false negative'.... :-)

Any guesses on a name? I want one of those - for the flowers!

Comments (23)

• luuk
    9 years ago

Ogon Tachi? I know that she have a very tall flower scapes. The golden leaves change to green during the season.

• hostanovice
    9 years ago

Krossa Regal would be my guess, and my first ever ID guess on this forum so take it for what it's worth!!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Krossa Regal is blue and more upright..different form...good try Novice. We all start somewhere.

-Babka

• dhaven
    9 years ago

It looks like Tall Boy. Check out the photos at the Hosta Library. If you grow this one in more shade, the bloom scapes can be up to 7 feet tall, and are spectacular.

• User
    9 years ago

Since this is at a Botanical Garden in Canada, I'd say Tall Boy is a very good possibility. Tall Boy was registered by Le Jardin de Botanique de Montreal 1983 and the pictures in Hosta Library of the flower scapes seem appropriate.

I am impressed with this plant. I like the greenies, anyway. And great flowers. Did you notice any signs of seedpods being formed on the scapes? I cannot tell from the photo.

I was going to estimate perhaps Bette Davis Eyes, which is a fragrant with tall scapes which tend to flop over. These scapes, however, are standing tall all alone without support. And, Bette Davis Eyes sets numerous seedpods, to my great delight. It is blooming now in zone 9a Mobile AL.

• brucebanyaihsta
    9 years ago

The old tried but true undulata erromena!

Bruce

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tall Boy seems like a good possibility, particularly given the MBG connection. I have e-mailed the picture to RBG, asking if someone can ID it for me - I hope they reply!

I didn't notice any seed pods forming, but I didn't look for them either. What grabbed my interest was the stiffly upright, so tall, blooms - no flopping at all and no support for them - plus the color was quite vivid. I really want this one for the garden!

• User
    9 years ago

It would be nice to know such a common or old anyway, hosta is still wowing folks. I don't have it, but since U.Erromena is easily available, figure it is worth trying in my garden.

One thing about the Undulata family, I have the Undulata albomarginata planted in the ground, my experimental bed. It loses its white in a pot. Now it has its stripe back.

The Undulata Univittata and the other Undulata I have (forget what it is) are in containers, and they've mostly lost their white parts too. I'm thinking those need to be in the soil as well.

Hope they all get their groove back.

Please let us know what the RBG has to say about the identity of the plant you picture in this thread.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

After looking at the HL, I agree that the extra tall scapes define Tall Boy.

-Babka

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Hosta Hillbilly has Tall Boy. He hasn't been hanging around much lately, though. Viktoria has it too. I might be tempted to post it on Chris's forum and see if she thinks it's Tall Boy. (I'm assuming she's still a regular there.)

bk

Here is a link that might be useful: Chris' forum

Original Author
    9 years ago

RBG just got back to me on the ID of that hosta.... Tall Boy it is!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Good eye, DHaven!

Don B.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Update: I’ve been looking for Tall Boy ever since I posted this thread in2014! I have never found it locally and, searching the Internet, I’ve only ever found it on Canadian websites from Quebec (logical I guess given the connection to the Montreal Botanical Garden). I finally ordered two from Aux Mille Hostas in Mansonville, Quebec yesterday!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

no wonder you found it where you did ... ken

originator: Le Jardin de Botanique de Montreal 1983

source of info: http://myhostas.be/db/view/Tall+Boy

Original Author
    5 years ago

It was a very striking plant! I know exactly where I want to put them in the garden....

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

woodyoak..isn't it funny how a hosta makes an impression and stays in your mind?..I'm happy you found it!!..

Original Author
    5 years ago

I actually found it on-line in a couple of Quebec nurseries fairly quickly, but I kept hoping that I could find it at a local nursery or that RBG would propagate from theirs and have if for sale in one of their plant sales. But I never saw it for sale there. So I decided it was time to go the mail order route. I’m sure it'll take a while to get it as my hostas here are still dormant so those in Quebec are likely going to be dormant for a bit longer yet.... Tall Boy did make a strong impression and I have a picture in my mind of what I will combine them with. Hostas actually don’t usually make that kind of impression on me so I’m a bit surprised that this one has had such staying power on my ‘gotta get that...’ list :-). Hopefully it will perform as well as I hope it does!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

being all green ... it should be rather sun proof.. [up north] ..... which the pic seems to show ... as well as a fast grower ...

ken

• dhaven
    5 years ago

Ken is right, this one is a very fast grower and will thrive in anything from nearly full shade to full sun. I've had Tall Boy for a very long time, and it looks good all season and lasts well into the fall. Also attracts hummingbirds and bumble bees. Somewhere out there is a picture of a 40 foot long row of Tall Boy in full bloom, it's spectacular.

woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada thanked dhaven
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It sounds like a great hosta! Why isn't is more readily available?!

Here are pictures of the places I'm intending to add Tall Boy:

I'd like to have those tall spires poke up through the variegated daphne foliage - hoping that the bloom time will overlap with the spill of Huldine clematis blooming on the 8' iron tuteur. (The white clematis flowers have pale purple-lavender streaks on the back of the sepals...) This area gets sun in the morning and early afternoon and then gets shaded by the garage by about 3:00 in the afternoon.

The second one I ordered will go in the north side of the same bed, under a young magnolia tree where I started adding hostas a year or so ago to fill up some empty space that was attracting too many weeds! You can see some young hostas just expanding in the picture below from last spring when the magnolia was in bloom. The hosta should add some nice summer flowers and add to the hosta population in this general area.

• dhaven
    5 years ago

woodyoak--it isn't more readily available because it's been around for 35 years, it's solid green, and it was never widely distributed even when it first became available. Also it doesn't look like much as a juvenile plant.

There are a great many wonderful older varieties that are not commercially available any more because most people want the newest varieties, so in order to find some of these now uncommon ones, you really need to find someone who grows the plant and ask if they will give you or let you buy a division.

There is a thread on this forum about Whirlwind, same thing, it was all the hot new thing when it first came out, cost $200 for a small single division and there was a waiting list. It came down to $100 the second year, and $75 the third year, at which point I was gifted a plant by Jerry Hadrava of Rosedale fame. It's still got a place of honor in my garden, and I think of Jerry every time I see it. Gift hostas are the best hostas!

woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada thanked dhaven
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The Tall Boys arrived today! A Sugar Plum fairy was included - I didn't order that so presumably it's a gift.

I ended up planting both the Tall Boys under the daphne shrub. Hopefully that will work out as planned....

We put the gift one under a white redbud tree in the backyard, near a couple of other small hostas.

It has suddenly turned hot here so we need to remember to water them!