Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite edging hostas?

Posted by bungalowmonkeys Va 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 17:34

Would like to add some edging type hostas in a few spots. What are some of the ones that you really enjoy and have had success with? Also are there any that have not done well for you?

This pic is of Libby. Just grabbed it at a local nursery. Not much info on it. Thought it was a sweet little hosta, liked the spikes and slight crinkle to the leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite edging hostas?

Side view

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 23:16

I have no edges to plant. But years ago, everyone was using Chartreuse Wiggles, or Ginko Craig. They are small, dependable hostas. If you like Libby then use it! Some hostas are more vigorous than others and if you want to make several plants out of a few go with one that grows well for you in your location. From you photo, it looks like it spreads easily by rhizomes, so you won't have a little row of round clumps but a row filled in with hosta leaves. It all depends on the look you want.

-Babka

o

The closest I come to having an "edger" would be my tub of The Razor's Edge surrounded by Verna Jean.

This taken August 9th.
Tub of H. 'The Razor's Edge' surrounded by 'Verna Jean'

This taken April 25th.
DSCN9858

I had the 3 larger ones from the previous year, and got 3 more for this tub. just barely emerging. They sure did fill in nicely. I do not THINK it is rhizomatous, but it sure does add eyes quickly.

Consider your zone and what kind of hosta grow the best for you, AND what you like. I generally use liriope muscari as an edger to keep my black pots cool. Liriope in the ground, pots hidden in their lush green growth. (zone 9a)

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that Verna Jean is very inexpensive, which is nice for getting multiples at the start, if you have long flower beds.

o

Being a garden noob didn't realize hostas spread like that. Just thought edging hosta meant it stayed low, grew fast and made a healthy clump quickly. While googling it found a great list and explanation on a site you guys always recommend checking. The thing this article doesn't say is how easy or not, it is to control these type hostas. Was looking to have several different kinds. Each would have their own 2to3 ft section along our trail system.

Verna jean is sweet looking, will be adding it to the list. Have not seen Chartreuse Wiggles (love the name), or Ginko Craig. Will look those up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhizomatous Hosta List

o

golden tiara

faster than rabbit on crack

ken

o

Ken, I agree, have some Golden Tiara and Grand Tiara both planted in my experimental driveway bed. They are growing nicely in the ground.

"Faster than a rabbit on crack" sounds like the next generation of Foghorn Leghorn one-liners. You sound just like him sometimes. :)

o

I've spent the past two weekends digging out massive clumps of golden tiara, lancifolia, and the standard green/white undulata that the previous owners used to edge EVERYTHING. They spread so much they were growing on top of each other.
The lancifolia and green/white did nothing for me and I banished it from my front beds, given away to some gardening swap people. The golden tiara I like, so it was spared the shovel, except to thin it out. I imagine I'll be thinning it again in a few years, it is a spreader and an edger.

o

For shear flower power, the tiaras are a great bet. I only have Golden Tiara used as a specimen plant.

SS

o

Bought this as a NOID last month. Wonder if it is golden tiara. Thats an old pic from when it first came out of its pot. Will have to get a new pic. Its grown a bit.

o

Here is my border of GT. Didn't think I liked borders of hosta, but doing this changed my mind. Used GT because I had tones of single clumps in the garden that were getting huge. Will be thinking about borders with other varieties in the future.

o

Yes, Golden Tiara is fast all right...Certainly faster than THIS rabbit...Great Expectations is faster than this rabbit...

Don B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here