Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bungalowmonkeys

Favorite edging hostas?

BungalowMonkeys
9 years ago

Would like to add some edging type hostas in a few spots. What are some of the ones that you really enjoy and have had success with? Also are there any that have not done well for you?

This pic is of Libby. Just grabbed it at a local nursery. Not much info on it. Thought it was a sweet little hosta, liked the spikes and slight crinkle to the leaves.

Comments (11)

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Side view

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I have no edges to plant. But years ago, everyone was using Chartreuse Wiggles, or Ginko Craig. They are small, dependable hostas. If you like Libby then use it! Some hostas are more vigorous than others and if you want to make several plants out of a few go with one that grows well for you in your location. From you photo, it looks like it spreads easily by rhizomes, so you won't have a little row of round clumps but a row filled in with hosta leaves. It all depends on the look you want.

-Babka

• User
    9 years ago

The closest I come to having an "edger" would be my tub of The Razor's Edge surrounded by Verna Jean.

This taken August 9th.

This taken April 25th.

I had the 3 larger ones from the previous year, and got 3 more for this tub. just barely emerging. They sure did fill in nicely. I do not THINK it is rhizomatous, but it sure does add eyes quickly.

Consider your zone and what kind of hosta grow the best for you, AND what you like. I generally use liriope muscari as an edger to keep my black pots cool. Liriope in the ground, pots hidden in their lush green growth. (zone 9a)

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that Verna Jean is very inexpensive, which is nice for getting multiples at the start, if you have long flower beds.

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Being a garden noob didn't realize hostas spread like that. Just thought edging hosta meant it stayed low, grew fast and made a healthy clump quickly. While googling it found a great list and explanation on a site you guys always recommend checking. The thing this article doesn't say is how easy or not, it is to control these type hostas. Was looking to have several different kinds. Each would have their own 2to3 ft section along our trail system.

Verna jean is sweet looking, will be adding it to the list. Have not seen Chartreuse Wiggles (love the name), or Ginko Craig. Will look those up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhizomatous Hosta List

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

golden tiara

faster than rabbit on crack

ken

• User
    9 years ago

Ken, I agree, have some Golden Tiara and Grand Tiara both planted in my experimental driveway bed. They are growing nicely in the ground.

"Faster than a rabbit on crack" sounds like the next generation of Foghorn Leghorn one-liners. You sound just like him sometimes. :)

• User
    9 years ago

I've spent the past two weekends digging out massive clumps of golden tiara, lancifolia, and the standard green/white undulata that the previous owners used to edge EVERYTHING. They spread so much they were growing on top of each other.
    The lancifolia and green/white did nothing for me and I banished it from my front beds, given away to some gardening swap people. The golden tiara I like, so it was spared the shovel, except to thin it out. I imagine I'll be thinning it again in a few years, it is a spreader and an edger.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

For shear flower power, the tiaras are a great bet. I only have Golden Tiara used as a specimen plant.

SS

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bought this as a NOID last month. Wonder if it is golden tiara. Thats an old pic from when it first came out of its pot. Will have to get a new pic. Its grown a bit.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Here is my border of GT. Didn't think I liked borders of hosta, but doing this changed my mind. Used GT because I had tones of single clumps in the garden that were getting huge. Will be thinking about borders with other varieties in the future.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yes, Golden Tiara is fast all right...Certainly faster than THIS rabbit...Great Expectations is faster than this rabbit...

Don B.