Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie81

Now I remember why I hate Golden Tiara....

jamie81
10 years ago

It's the flowers. All ten million of them. I just spent hours, cutting them all down.

I may be in the minority, but I am not a fan of most hosta flowers. But, golden tiara is the "worst". It has soooo many.

Are there any others that have flowers like this? Its reason enough not to buy them. Is there a list of "boring hosta, with lots of irritating flowers?"

Comments (19)

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

my goodness! How many golden tiara do you have that would take more then 2 minutes to cut them off of one plant? Just wondering. You must need to weed them out if they irratate you that much lol

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It grows so well, that I kept dividing it up, before I realized that there are so many other, much nicer hosta. It looks kinda cute in the spring.

I need to get rid of some of them, but I hate giving away something I don't really like.

I can't be the only person that has planted a hosta they just don't care for....

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I just spent hours, cutting them all down.

==>> OMG jamie ...

you know what this tells me...

seriously.. well it tells me a bunch of things..

but the key is.. you dont have enough hosta..

crikey woman.. you really have nothing hosta related better to do.. than cut off flowers..

GET MORE HOSTA ...

and the next time you have a few spare hours.. put these at the curb ... to make room for other hosta ...

jinkies .. hey that a new one from scooby do ...

i never understood the flower cutting peeps .... its like saying.. i like baseball.. but i only watch the first 5 innings.. because i dont like the rest ... if it were me .. i would just find another plant to collect that gives me season long pleasure w/o the work.. like conifers.. or something ....

hey!!!!... what ever rings your bell is fine with me.. dont get me wrong ..

ken

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

If you don't like 'em, just toss 'em. Your property. Doesn't matter what we think. You must have a LOT to make it stress you out like that.

My first fragrant flower opened today. It's on my 'Fried Bananas'. My first whiff of it, I got a sweet, candy scent, reminded me of the way Pez candy tasted. Remember Pez, you had a dispenser for the candy-pellets? They had a distinct smell. It's olfactory offerings took me back to my childhood. Wonderful scent. I digress. How many of those flower stalks do you HAVE? I envision something like what is in this pic......

Don B.

EDIT: That's a LOT of 'Gold Standard'!

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 19:22

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

haha. ok maybe, just maybe, I was being a little dramatic.

you are right though ken, I need more hosta. Am in the process of editing the green & white, and the golden tiara. Its hard though. That is why I have soooo many flowers to cut down.

I am not a fan of the flowers. But....I am a fan of hosta.

You are right too Don. I need some fragrants, so I can appreciate the flowers.

I am afraid to count how many green & white hosta I actually have.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I'm generally, let's say 'indifferent' toward most types of hosta blooms. Except for the fragrants, I grow 'em for the foliage. I love the fragrant blooms, the way they look AND smell. There ARE, I admit, more and more flowers that are catching my eye that aren't fragrant, just beautiful. That thread we had not too long ago featuring hosta flowers showed me a lot I hadn't seen before.

But hosta are known for that foliage, usually. My neighbor cuts all his blossoms off his hosta. Babka, among several others on this forum, do too. It's all personal preference, as far as I'm concerned. To cut, or not to cut; There is no question. Do what you like, I say. I'm gonna go buy a Pez dispenser and some candy pellets. See ya later ; )

Don B.

• donrawson
    10 years ago

As far as I know, all the Tiaras have lots of flowers. If you don't like them, maybe try using a weed whip or electric hedge shears. But that may be a bad idea, since it is important to sterilize your cutting tool between each plant, or at least between each hosta variety you are cutting the scapes on.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

jamie, I feel about the same about Golden Tiara. They are very nice early in the season but the flowers are not very attractive, the slugs love them and are the first to die down in the late summer. I have divided and replanted them several times and am finally starting to throw them out now and make room for new varieties.

I have yet to plant any fragrant varieties but am sure I will in the near future. I cut off most of the flower scapes when they start to look ragged.

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

I love it and think it's beautiful with the flowers.

Vanessa

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

No flowers here either, except maybe for a few of the mice. I don't like them sticking way up above the leaves. I used to cut and bring in some of the flower stalks on the fragrant ones, but they put too much odor in the air, even with windows open.

When you look at some of the flowers really up close, they are simply beautiful...BUT I like the smell of sauted garlic, or a ripe pineapple, not perfumes.

To each his own. ;-)

-Babka

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

I like the flowers. The uglies come, for me, when it's all just seed pods, but we often save seed and there's an even better reason to leave them on over the winter - natural bird food !

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

I love my one (1) golden tiara. I'm a flower girl. Don and I love our fragrants - don't we Don? He's planting a trail of them right up to his bedroom window so he can open his window (s) and enjoy the scents while he is laying in bed at night.

DD

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Replace it with the oldie but goodie h pearl lake ...

you cut the scapes, the sucker just re-blooms!

heh heh heh

as always

^_^ --~

dave

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Dave, evil, but funny ! ! !

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

Wow I started reading this thread in disbelief ! hahahahah

I was just watering the plants yesterday and thought
    "WOW, I wish all my Hosta had flowers this nice"
    Golden tiaras. hahaha

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vanessa, my golden tiara does not look like your golden tiara. Yours is very pretty. By the time mine flowers, the slugs have mangled it. Thats the other reason I am not fond of it.

And Dave? That is evil. Wouldn't you feel bad if I ran out and replaced my golden tiara with a pearl lake???? Yeah, I know, you would just laugh...

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Vanessa, that's a really nice specimen. Extremely pretty.

Don B.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

I am one who loves the hosta flowers. The more the better! I don't mind cutting off the dead scapes, and I leave the ones that have pods to collect the seeds.

Now daylilies are another thing altogether. I hate cutting off the scapes on them and pulling the spent leaves.They are totally messy. It it wasn't for the pretty but brief flowers, I wouldn't grow any of them at all! Talk about a high maintenance plant.

Sandy

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Totally agree with you on daylilies, Sandy. Those brief, pretty flowers...and then, meh.

Don B.