Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple/Black Stemmed Seedling

Posted by paws4pets SE Ia. (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 17:44

4 year old seedling. The stems on the flower scape are really dark purple/black. The picture doesn't show it very well. The stems are speckled, just plain green leaves.
paws
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple/Black Stemmed Seedling

This is not unusual. There are lots of these about. Similar to Purple Boots.

Steve

o

Let's see if I have a picture for you. I got Rocket's Red Glare recently. It has those red legs. In fact the hosta Red Sox is another one with the red legs being its most outstanding feature. And I have Purple Boots, Beet Salad, and then Stephen King, Jaws, and a few more, my mind just slipped away from me here!

I'm like you, Paws4Pets, I have a fondness for the colored petioles.

o

Devil's Poker from Savory's.

o

Here is Stephen King, a hosta hybridized by Alttara Scheer.

o

Here's Beet Salad. Maybe you can see some of the purple scape and petioles.

o

Here is the Red Sox one. Favored by folks from New England?
:)

o

And Purple Boots. When it arrived, it had just some short light purple like cowboy boots at the base of the petioles, then it started coloring up.

o

Paradise Island has reddish petioles and scapes. Lot of color there besides the red though.

o

Thanks for sharing your seedling. Even though there are a lot of purple stems around, it is still fun when its ones own seedling.

Happy Seed Growing... fun addiction!

o

No streaked seedlings yet so this will have to do for know. Have had some big blue and green leafed ones also. At least the aren't all boring green.
paws

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here