Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on "Peanut"?

Posted by MadPlanter1 5 Nebraska (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 17:47

I was shopping today and saw a little hosta named Peanut. It looks like it could be very interesting from the tag - a small plant but heavy texture and bumps. The plants put me off, though. Some leaves were nice and oval, but some were long and thin. Is that just an ugly duckling stage?

Does anyone grow it, and what do you think of it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on

Below is a link that may be of interest.

Here is a link that might be useful: First Look Link

o
RE: Opinions on "Peanut"?

Hmm,verryyyy interesting. I saw something about Peanut really being Lakeside Dot Com, but thought it was a case of a streaker reverting to an earlier version. I'd hate to be the guy who has to look at all the plants entered and decide if it's really a new plant.

o

I wish I had a foto history of this, but It's dark here now, sorry.

We have both Peanut and Goober. Both about the same age.

I had to twist my Wife's arm to let me spend the $ on Goober (something about the leaf texture called me), but I'm willing to bet she'd not razz me about it now, as it is, so far, after only 2 years, 4x or so faster, meaner, better, badder.

Goober has 'blasted' Peanut, same year, same size, same garden area, in growth (and leaf interest, imo).

fwiw, so far,

hh

o

I have Peanut and like it very much. It's a very fast grower. However, it is not very slug tolerant. It's colours fade in the sun. I find it best in containers.

o

I'll have to admit I like the markings on Peanut, but I can get Goober for $11. vs. $18. for Peanut, and I need to add some solid colors anyhow. Thanks for the advice.

The shopping trip wasn't wasted. Any 1 qt. hosta was $18.00, a little on the high side, but OK for a well grown "Little Treasure". Also noted things I'd buy if and when they go on sale. <-;

o

Here is my peanut in container

o

• Posted by mbug none (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 17:35

Peanut today
Photobucket

Beautiful deep lavender flowers too
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here