Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bungalowmonkeys

Bell Nursery, HomeDepot and HVX

BungalowMonkeys
9 years ago

I know I should know better and have no excuse. I'm an impulse buyer and got excited when Homedepot in Winchester VA had these 7 hostas I didn't have. All of them but two are from Bell Nursery and all of them but two had signs of HVX when you got down close and looked at the leaves.

Lakeside Banana Bay - Vigoro Nursery (?)
Kiwi Full Monty - Vigoro Nursery (?)
Blue angel
Bressingham blue
August moon
Lakeside cupcake
Midwest magic
Alex summers

The bressingham blue and blue angel looked healthy. Wish I had taken a close up of each hosta that had symptoms. When I returned all of them today, I just happen to catch the local Bell Nursery rep (in training) and his main area rep. The guy in training had no clue what I was talking about, which is understandable. But the main area rep did. I showed him the plants that obviously had it and he said they should have been thrown out before leaving the nursery and appologized. I asked how does that help prevent the spread? They needed to test and take further measures. His response was that would be too costly and instead they do a visual inspection before shipping off plants. I realized he doesnt care and it was clearly a bigger deal to me than him. Thanked him for the information anyways.

Lesson learned. Will no longer visit the garden center of the big box stores to get my hosta fix. Spent all morning and afternoon moving all my big box hostas to a seperate bed, away from my hostas bought from good sources. The fact that all but two of the bell nursery hostas showed symptoms is scary. They are, from my understanding, homedepots main source for hostas throughout the US. Just wanted to share with anyone that may still buy Hostas from Homedepot.

Comments (4)