Thanks for all your help!!

Comments (13)

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Looks like Guacamole or Avocado to me.

DD

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

It's seems to light for Avocado. My first thought was Guacamole, although the edge seems kind of light.

bk

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are the pictures showing up the right way now? I took this next one with my iPad horizontal.

• donrawson
    9 years ago

{{gwi:1080737}}

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

The ones with your IPad horizontal show right side up.

Don turned the first one and reposted it for you.

I know it makes no sense, but after it's turned, it looks more like Guacamole.

bk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

just some pix taking ideas ....

i take most of my best pics.. after dinner... in the softer light of evening ... i like to say.. if you have to squint when you are looking at the plant... then the pic will appear washed out ... short of a very high end camera ... so go take pix when you dont need to squint ... and in the evening.. you are done with pix.. when the flash pops the first time... else the flash will wash out the pic ...

if you look at the pic immediately above.. the sun shining on many of the leaves... throws off how we see it ... and that is why bkay changed her mind ... because her perception changed ...

but its still hard to see if there is an edge ...

scale would help.. and i know that was mentioned in another post.. i use a lighter.. or a pen ... anything most of us would recognize ... someone used a dollar bill.. and that was familiar to me.. but the 50 confused me.. as i dont see them as often ... lol ..

ken

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken, here is a close up. Looks like Guacamole to me. I'm with ya on the 50's!!

• dhaven
    9 years ago

The small, upright hosta with the white edge is likely Rectifolia Chionea. It's not often seen, and it's a delightful little hosta, with a very unique plant habit. Also a good grower, and will take full shade to full sun, but seems to do best in dappled shade.

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That looks like the one, thanks dhaven! Does it's rarity make this hosta more valuable? Additionally, how do I determine ballpark accurate values for the different hostas if I plan to sell some? If nothing else, I would just like to know if I have any plants that have more value.

Thanks again!!

• dhaven
    9 years ago

There is a booklet called The Hosta Finder that is published every year. It gives the average retail price of nearly every hosta that is commercially available, and a list of some of the vendors who sell that variety.

Rectifolia Chionea is by no means rare, it's just not often seen. It's also not in high demand, so the price typically would run around $8-12 for at least a double division. The real hostaholics will be looking for the brand new varieties and the very rare ones. Your hostas seem to fall nicely into the classic and readily available category, which should attract those who are just getting started and want to add something beyond what the big box stores sell.

Be aware that selling hostas, while rewarding in many ways, is a lot of work, and you are not going to make a huge amount of money, even if you specialize in rare hostas or your own hybrids. That said, it is a great way to meet new hosta people, and should give you enough money to buy more hostas if that is your goal. Before you do any selling, please research HVX (hosta virus X), nematodes, and slugs. Unless you can guarantee that your plants are healthy and free of disease and pests, you aren't going to sell very many plants.

Be aware that pots and potting soil are expensive, and that once you have your sale hostas potted, they will need daily care and must be located in a spot that isn't too sunny. If you decide to sell bare root hostas, you will want to research the best methods of packing and shipping. Also, search the web for information on dividing hostas, there are several different methods, some of which are specific to certain types of hosta.

Your best hosta tool will be a really good, sturdy garden fork, but you will also need a decent shovel, or perhaps a transplanting spade, a trowel, and a serrated knife, which you can buy at any thrift store. You will also want a supply of bleach or other disinfectant to clear your tools between plants.

As for getting good ids on your hostas, you should jump at the very kind offer from Paul to come to your garden and advise you. Having a hosta expert in your garden is by far the best way to get reliable ids, and you will also doubtless learn more about hostas than you ever thought possible! It is considered courteous to pay gas expenses and possibly a small fee (or maybe lunch) for anyone willing to provide this invaluable service. Before your expert arrives, have a large supply of white plant tags and a grease pencil/china marker on hand, and label plants as you go.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Dhaven, you seem to be good with the small green Hosta with a white edge. Would this be Rectifolia chionea as well? I have had a really hard time trying to ID this one. I looked down inside and see the scapes look ready to come up. I garden in 6B across from Detroit.

This post was edited by Hostas_for_Barb on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 21:53

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Barb, that looks like Ginko Craig if it's small.
    Kathy

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Thanks Kathy. That had been one I had considered. But many of the photos I see of Ginko Craig show a wider leaf but maybe mine is still the juvenile form? It has been in the ground at least three years.