Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostas_for_barb_6b_on_canada

ID help again.

hostas_for_barb
9 years ago

I snapped this photo of a beautiful hosta while I was on a garden tour. I want one. Trouble is I don't know what it is I want. The dear lady went in the house and came out with her scrap book of plant labels and notes and it seemed everything was in there except this hosta. What do you think it is?

Comments (20)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

GE

looking like its planted too deep ...

ken

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, someone else took a look at it (on my tablet) and said either Vulcan or Enterprise. Would either of these suggestions sway you or are you pretty sure it is GE?

I just bought Vulcan in the hopes that it was the one in this photo but it is a nice hosta even if it isn't my garden tour hosta.

Thanks for looking.

Barb

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

GE

looking like its planted too deep ...

ken

Doesn't look like it's suffering.

Could be GE.

Paul

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

That's a good looking GE! Looks like one of mine.

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

Hi Barb,

Keep in mind that the best any of us can do is offer an opinion, which is all mine is. To me, it looks like Morning Light.

Steve

• donrawson
    9 years ago

My first guess was Morning Light also. The margin appears a little too narrow to be GE. Wait until it blooms...Morning Light has lavender flowers...GE has near-white flowers...

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I checked out the Hosta Library Photos and it didn't look like GE, Vulcan, Enterprise, or Morning Light. But I googled images and found this one from NH Hostas and it sure looks like this one. So I think maybe Morning Light it is! Thanks everyone for your input.
    Barb

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

The thinner margin reminds me of Eskimo Pie.
    Mine is still only one eye after 3 years (I think it may need more sun).

I don't think the plant in question looks anything like Morning Light.

Here a picture of my Morning Light:

Eskimo Pie in May:

Eskimo Pie in June (turning white in centre):

Vanessa

This post was edited by hippieindenial on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 21:20

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, Vanessa, I like both of your pics. I would be happy with either one. The hosta in question isn't mine - just a photo I took of a NOID I liked on a garden tour. So getting it right isn't critical for me and if Eskimo Pie is a very slow grower maybe I will go with Morning Light.

9 years ago

I retract my guess...my eyes must have crossed! Here is what I was comparing...my smallest and lightest GE.

9 years ago

Here is another GE with a second flush of leaves...pic taken yesterday...do you think we can eliminate GE from the possibilities?

I just wanted to say that I also like your hosta in question...love the brightness! Edited to add that both pics you posted, Barb, look similar..and both have the twisted leaf tip.

Jo

This post was edited by josephines67 on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 23:52

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josephine: I too noticed that twisted leaf tip and the 2nd PIC I posted has that. I dont know - the leaves are twisted and a little unruly. There is corrugation but it isnt the defining feature for me.
    A mature GE seems to exhibit a lot of corrugation and this is quite obvious in many pics. The NOID I posted was quite large - should have put a pen in there or something before I snapped the PIC. Not sure about Morning Light but I don't think GE.
    Thanks for your pictures.
    Barb

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

If that's a GE and it's planted too deep, then I need to go out and BURY mine tomorrow morning! Looks pretty good...

...I tried bribery earlier in the season, to no avail...

Don B.

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Don,
    Are you going hosta shopping any time soon with that $100?
    Vanessa

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOL That bill is LONG gone, Vanessa! : ) or should I say : (

Don B.

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo and Don: you both have beautiful GE. I think mine went into heat stress a couple of weeks ago. But it is cooler now and we have had lots of rain this' week. I have little tiny new leaves at the crown so I am taking that as a good sign. Your leaves are so large and beautiful. I (gasp) moved it just about a foot this spring as I had a lot of growth in neighbouring Hosta and had to move one and then reposition GE. Hope I don't regret that. Ken told me to never ever move it - after I had already done so.

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is my new Vulcan as labeled from Lowes. Looks a lot like the NOID to me but the mature pics i have found of it don't look as twisted.

9 years ago

I guess it's one of those "wait and see" events...flowering time/flower colour
    mature vein count/leaf underside, etc. etc.

My GE in first pic is really retaliating for being dug up last fall...and yet again moved from being planted for a month...where it seemed to be really going downhill...to this planter in front of the garage where it gets sun. I have already removed smaller eyes that were dying...nothing going on that is suspect...it is just in a bad mood that has turned into a tantrum! I am hoping the remainder of this particular one continues strong.

Your moved GE looks like it forgave you - let me know if it comes back next spring as strong as it emerged this spring. I had 3 very strong/big shoots last year...when it appeared this spring, I had more shoots, but smaller...now the smaller ones are just about gone and what is left is one very sturdy division. This is the first time I have "abused" a GE in this fashion and I regret it.

Nice Vulcan! by the way, Barb! The way that plant looks, it takes me right back to May and June...all that fresh, pristine new growth...makes me crave a salad! LOL

• hostas_for_barb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo: Your GE in the planter looks awfully good to me. You have nice new growth in the center. I think my GE went through a tantrum phase too - refused to scape for me this year :( I got nothing.

Yet last year she had such beautiful flowers. She was a NOID at that point but I spent literally hours with my Hostapedia and tablet, counting vein pairs, made a chart of all the different medio variegated hostas I thought it could be,, trolled the hosta library looking at photos.. Learned a lot. Didn't know about this forum last year. You guys really help out a lot with the IDing. The creamy white scapes are quite distinct and sure helped to narrow down the search once they came up.

I still don't know where she came from. A few years ago I picked up some really small ones - probably seedlings - from a local garden center and I don't think any were labelled or if they were i wasn't smart enough to save the labels. I've never seen GE at a garden center around here - I think because she is a rather slow grower. Guess I just lucked out that day. Same with my Tok. Flav. that was mislabelled Patriot.

Young Great Expectations 2013

This post was edited by Hostas_for_Barb on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 13:51

• bishop5
    9 years ago

Being a newbie I kept wondering what GE stood for. Glad to see the last post with the label Great Expectations. Getting hosta smarter every day :-)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus