Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyz6ohio

Trying to decide

garyz6ohio
9 years ago

Here's a picture of a Raspberry Sorbet seedling from 2007 that I've been evaluating and wondering if I should do anything with it or just move it out to make more room. I like its unique look (10 foot rule) small to medium size (15" by 37") and leaf shape (4"x 9") but don't know if anyone else sees any potential. With so many "flashy" hostas out there, well...

Comments (14)

• garyz6ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a slightly different angle. These picture were taken on a 90 degree plus day and the plant is slightly wilted. Might as well show them at their worst.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Not sure of what you mean by "if I should do anything with it"? What else can you do with it other then replace it with something you like better? It's looking good at its worst to me and seems to have met its best potential. But if your looking for something flashier - bye bye!

DD

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Agreed DD. It's a very nice hosta though. What did you have in mind to replace it with?

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Glad I never dated you ladies. As soon as you would have found someone flashier it would have been "bye, bye!!!!" :) but yes I agree. If you have to ask whether to keep a hosta you've already answered yourself!0

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Did you mean register it, Gary?

Don B.

• garyz6ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's basically what I was wondering. Does it reach the stature of being worthy to be named and registered? There's just so many new cultivars out there - why add another just to add it? (And so many, that just aren't worth a hoot in the garden, but their pictures and P.R. find a lot of gullible buyers who are then disappointed in the long run. Oops. Sorry. Time to get off my soap box. I had a long day at work.)

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

This post is a good reminder why I should slow down and read vs skim. Wish I was more familiar with what hostas are available. All I can say is I really enjoy a green Hosta and this one is attractive. A beautiful green to me is more serene in the garden. Majority of the 60 hostas i've collected these past few months are solids with unique things about them. If it is unique and fits that 10ft rule then why wouldn't you? It's pretty awesome you have discovered and nurtured it. I say register it. What names do you have in mind?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I may be in the minority, Gary, being a fan of a lot of solid green hostas, but this is a type that I would buy, based on the pics.

FWIW,
    Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you want the unvarnished ken version ...?? .. well.. i will give it to you anyway .. lol ... [and dont forget peeps.. he and i drove around SE MI a few weeks back.. he will be amused by this .. not offended.. at least i hope so.. lol]

the scape to clump ratio is brilliant ... it could be used to further a breeding line .. [and he being some pigeon breeding guru.. he understand this genetic variable.. ask if you dont]

otherwise... you have repeatedly told me.. you have no space left in your rather limited suburban garden .. as such.. its bordering on being a non descript green hosta.. that is taking up precious space ... get rid of it ....

and please dont tell me.. it has red scapes ... pshaw ... do you have any idea how drunk i would have to be.. to fall face first into it.. to find out????

now.. back to your breeding goals.. wait.. we havent talked about that yet ... when you made the cross.. did you have a goal... does this result end up within the definition of said goal.. if not.. cull it ...

and if you did seeds back then.. like i did ... just pick and grow anything ... its still just a green plant ...

whatever you decide .... please dont register it ...

ken

• garyz6ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks Ken, I appreciate the input!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I was going to answer earlier, but thought I sounded ugly. It reminds me of Birchwood Parky's Gold. The overall shape and color is similar. Is it better than that one?

bk

• garyz6ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bk, I always welcome comments and opinions. You can get a very narrow focus when its just yourself looking at an object. In the pigeon loft, we call it "Loft Blindness" - all you see are the strong points and none of the faults. You are sure you have a grand champion, then you put it in a
    pen full of other people's birds, and oh my....
    Last night watering, I noticed that my seedling looks like a smaller version of honeybells (without the fragrant flowers), so yes, its time to give this plant to someone who will appreciate it and keep on looking. Thanks everyone for your input.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I have a hosta 'Raspberry Sorbet' which gets mowed down every year by a rabbit, just saw that rabbit who dug under the fence. No other of my hostas gets eaten to the ground. So rabbits favor this particular green hosta too! Red petioles and beautiful flowers - great taste.
    Bernd

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Seems like it tastes as good as it looks, Bernd!

Don B.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH