Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Hosta ID & Care

Hi guys,

I just ran by Lowe's and picked up some plants. In the clearance rack was this pitiful looking hosta. Now that I have the room and some heavily shaded corners in my yard, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try and grow it.

The pot claims it's a Hosta Sieboldiana elegans. Is that correct?

I had been planning to pot it into a large red pot and then put it under a large lemon tree I have, but it's root bound in this pot right now and the roots are MASSIVE. Given how small this is and the size of roots in this 2.5 qt pot, I'm guessing it won't last too long in a large pot. So, I should plant it in the ground instead? I'll definitely be giving it a serious root prune prior to planting.

Any suggestions welcome! :)

Grace

Comments (8)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Given your zone, it will probably do better in a pot than in the ground. It's a big hosta, though. Even in a pot, you can expect it to get 4 foot wide. It will take a large pot eventually. However, I would just move it up to a pot that's maybe 3" larger than this one. Don't bury it any deeper than it is. I don't think I would root prune it. Keep it well watered (probably every day), the potting soil should be well draining and fertilize it lightly with something like Miracle Grow.

I'm assuming your weather is pretty much like mine. Stop fertilizing about 6 weeks before your first average killing frost. For me, the 6 week mark is October 1.

Other than that, water, water, water.

Yes, it looks like Elegans to me. The name has been changed to simply 'Elegans".

bk

• bishop5
    9 years ago

It looks very similar to my Elegans ... except mines in the ground and a bit healthier.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Mine is fried. I left it in too much sun. It likes shade.

bk

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Bkay and Bishop!
    Per your advice, I did plant it in a medium to large pot.

That spot gets the latest afternoon sun only -- for maybe one hour before sunset. In the heat of summer, perhaps it's still too bright and hot -- but right now, I think it's a suitable spot. After giving it some attention here, I plan to move it under the lemon tree which gets morning sun for a few hours and then it's pretty shaded.

I did end up root pruning it, though, because I had to basically saw it out of the pot because the roots had all but sewn themselves to the outside of the pot. So, I then cleared all the old soil off of them and separated the roots cleanly, and placed them into the new soil.

I've left the old scorched (dried?) leaves on for now hoping they assist with new growth, but hopefully can snip them off soon.

The only hostas I've ever had came with a house I bought some years ago where they were on drip system and rarely required care. In my new house, which also has a couple hostas already here, I'm hoping I learn to care for them so I can plant a few more. They are so subdued but attractive!

Thanks for the ID confirmation. I've learned not to trust any labels from the big box stores, haha.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

You may not see any more growth on it this year, but don't worry. Now is the time in its life cycle when it grows roots to make a larger plant emerge in Spring. Just leave those leaves on this year until the plant goes dormant.

OBTW, do a little research on HVX virus, and keep this one out of the ground until you are sure it isn't affected, so you don't contaminate your yard.

-Babka

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you should have NOT cut the roots ...

hosta have a requisite dormancy of about 60 days or so ... they must have it.. or they will not thrive ...

even damaged leaves do work.. so good on leaving those ...

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Be careful not to keep it overly wet. That will be most important in the spring. In a pot that large, it will tend to stay wet longer. That's why I suggested not going too much larger. Remember that hosta roots have to have air to stay healthy.

bk

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babka - thanks for that info. I'll look into that virus, but yes, I'd like to keep it out of the ground in any case. I'm okay with it not growing until spring; I'm okay as long as the thing doesn't croak on me, haha.

Bkay - definitely. I'll watch the water. The incredible root growth in that little pot was impressive. It's kind of silly given how puny the plant is.

Ken -- well, we'll see how it goes. Worst case, I'm $3 out. :)