Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Shipping time to hotter areas

bkay2000
10 years ago

I have a quandary. After an expensive hosta got fried in the mail truck, I've been reluctant to get hosta through the mail after about June 1. I've been putting off all my shipments until October 1. But, then you have the problem of plants going dormant (say from MI or MN) coming into an environment that has 6 more weeks of growing time. Mocc says hers sometimes get another flush when she gets them late.

I have a gift certificate from Hallson's, several plants ordered from GW Wild, a Pride and Joy coming from Don R, and a bunch of oldies I want to order from LOTG. I can put off all but the GW Wild order until the spring, But, everyone except Wild and Sons won't thaw out until May the first or later. My hosta are second flush by June 1.

I'm not sure about shipment times after the spring. Does anyone have a reasoned answer?

bk

Comments (4)

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

We are in zone 6, but still it gets hot by the first of May here. I have learned not to order too many hostas in the spring from the frozen North as they can't ship until after that, and hostas need to be in the ground by mid-April at the latest for me. I order the bulk of mine after August 1 now. But if you are ordering from LOTG please ask about the last shipping date, because they don't ship much after early September.

Sandy

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i went with your system.. back in the day.. when everything was FRESH CUT ... they simply rotted wrapped in plastic.. hermetically sealed in a box.. and stuffed in a hot brown truck ...

but these days.. life is different ...

crikey woman.. if you need the fix.. PAY FOR OVERNIGHT ... or second day ...

or more simply.... JUST CALL CHRIS AND ASK HIS OPINION ....

why all the guessing ?????

i am sure.. you can quadruple your order.. to fill the box.. to offset the overnight costs... so you can break the cost over say.. 20 plants.. and convince yourself.. that it only adds a buck or two per plant.. BEEN THERE.. DONE THAT.. LOL....

JUST CALL CHRIS AND ASK ... maybe he can throw in an ice pack.. to keep the box cool inside ...

ken

ps: i hope you noted the whole plant vs cut divisions part ....

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Despite all the capital letters, as usual, Ken is right. Call Chris at Hallson and call Jeff Miller at LOTG and explain your situation. You know how good these guys are at customer service. They will make sure your plants get there in good shape.

Steve

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

When I order from Hallson's they get all the way out here to the West Coast in 2 days (3 days max) priority mail. Years ago hosta sellers used to ship all the leafed out hostas with the tops cut off in order to fit them into a box. One poster here showed his newly planted garden and titled it "celery", because all there was were stalks. I'll never forget that one!

If the plants are well hydrated and wrapped in damp towels, they should be fine. I had a several leafed out ones come when we had few way above normal 100 degree days with no problem. Have a phone chat with the people who will be packing and shipping them to tell them of your concerns ahead of time, so that they can see that your order has the least amount of time in a box. If necessary give a heads up to your mail man, whoops, letter carrier so that he knows you are expecting LIVE plants and ask if he can deliver your packages first, or at least keep it in the cab with a/c going, or do'nt leave it in the sun on your porch. Don't let one bad experience spoil the thrill of mid-summer hosta splurges. ;-)

-Babka