Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Visit to Sebright Hosta Gardens in Oregon

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I drove down to Woodburn, OR and visited Sebright Gardens today. It's such a beautiful place. They have a ton of interesting plants on the grounds. The hostas, of course, are beautiful. Mid America Iris Garden is also on the same grounds. The irises are all done for the year, but then this is the hosta forum...so no biggie right? Lol.

It's hard to get out of there without "spending the rent" if you know what I mean. I was pretty good today. I bought three new hostas: 'Manhattan', 'Mango Tango' and 'Goodness Gracious'. I also picked up two new heuchera: 'Paprika' which is a fantastic peach/red/orange combo and 'Southern Comfort' which is kind of a burnished orangey bronze with leaves that get up to 8" accross.

Anyway, I thought you all might like to see some pictures. Enjoy.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 18:35

Comments (41)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting hosta called 'Mojito'. Has kind of a satiny look to the leaves. I took this pic with Don B. in mind as I think I remember him posting that this was a newer purchase he was excited about.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 18:36

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close up of 'Mojito' leaves. Very nice. This one went on my wish list today.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 18:37

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

An absolutely stunning 'Paul's Glory'. This one was about 4 feet high and over 5 feet across!

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 18:38

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another stunner was 'Aspen Gold'.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lovely blue 'Camelot'.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Princess Anastasia'

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gorgeous Cannas. These must have been over 8 feet tall!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A Sebright Gardens intro 'Gentle Giant'.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

H. 'Victory' in a pot.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

An overall view of one of the hosta beds.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Summer Breeze' looking lovely!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not a hosta, but had to post it anyway. I love crocosmia. I think this one was 'George Davidson'.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

H. 'Citation'

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

H. 'Spinach Patch'

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A nice specimen of 'Spritzer'. I wish mine was as nicely colored as this one. The one I have is totally green.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Georgia Sweetheart'

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tour's over. Time to shop!!!

Thanks for looking.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a link to Sebright's website just in case anyone is interested. Their plant size is 1 gallon+.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sebright Gardens

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

THANK YOU, Flower Frenzy! What a treat and so nice of you to share such a lovely tour. Those beauuuuutiful hosta, sigh...

I too have a Crocosmia 'Lucifer' a bright red one and just love it. It's providing shade for H. 'Marilyn Monroe' and doesn't really belong where I have it, but it's doing well and serving a higher purpose, a hosta purpose lol. It's a fast grower and will look stunning in the front garden as a specimen next year.

Thanks again for sharing.
    Jo

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo, you're welcome for the tour. It was so great I just had to share!

I, too, have crocosmia 'Lucifer' out in my sunny daylily bed. It's a great one for sure. It self seeds everywhere, though, and can be a bit of a thug if not contained. I have it in a bed that doesn't touch any other beds and it stays put. It's less aggressive in shadier conditions as well.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks for thinking of me with 'Mojito', FlowerFrenzy. Nice to see what an older plant looks like. I just got an 'August Moon', too! Love that pic. It's funny, I was just looking at their website a couple days ago. Great selection. I wondered about the size of the plants they sell mail-order. If you say they're more than adequate, that's good enough for me. Think I might place an order with them in the near-future. : )

Thanks for sharing!
    Don B.

EDIT: I meant 'Aspen Gold', not 'August Moon'.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 4:17

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You won't be sorry if you place an order, Don. I believe the mail order plants are basically the same size as the ones you can buy in the nursery. I know I've seen them take hostas right out of the pots and prep them for shipment. (I've known them for years and have been in their shipping area "chatting" during non-garden hours.)

• tarheelbelle
    10 years ago

Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures! I'm envious. lol My dream vacation is to go to MidAtlantic and Schreiners one May followed by an Alaskan cruise. Maybe one of these years.....
    In the meantime, I will just visit their website. :)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tips about Lucifer...there is a gigantic specimen in one of our parks nearby out in full sun...if it can be reigned in a bit with shade, then the site I have it designated for should be OK. It kind of towers in the hosta n peony bed right now, just like a " thug" LOL

Well, had my garden fix, now it's off to the movies to get my adrenaline fix with the action pic RED2 .

Have a great evening, All.
    Jo

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

By coincidence I was on their website today, and was wondering how they shipped their hostas. You have to print out and send an order form, though, which makes the ordering process longer. Nevertheless, they have a wonderful selection to choose from. Lucky you to be able to tour their beautiful gardens!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DD, I've never ordered via mail from them as I'm close enough to pick up the plants in person. I didn't know you had a print out an order form. I guess you could probably fax it, if they have a fax # on there. You could email Kirk or Thomas at sebrightgardens@aol.com to see if there's an easier way to order.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tour!

Avocado is a tetraploid sport of Guacamole. When they tissue culture it they get a lot of all-green and some all-yellow ones. Being frugal, Zilis named them Mojito and Cerveza and marketed them. They share the shiny, sun-tolerant leaves of the family heritage as well as the fragrant white flowers late in the season.

In effect, Mojito and Cerveza are the tetraploid versions of Fried Green Tomatoes and Fried Bananas.

And on the Spritzer... many Spritzers turn all green by mid-season... is yours good streaky in the spring? They all seem to go through changes - mine is quite old and happy where it is... 3-4' in diameter... and I was pleased to note the other day that the streaking is subtler, but still attractive as we enter August...

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Beautiful specimens - Georgia Sweetheart sure looks similar to Color Festival and the Captain Kirk side of the Gold Standard sports.

Paul

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Idiothe-no, actually, I haven't noticed any streaking on my 'Spritzer' at all, but I wasn't paying very much attention this year. I'll have to check it out next spring. Maybe I just got a dud?

Paul-you're right, it does look similar. It's actually a sport of 'American Sweetheart', which in turn is a tetraploid sport of 'Sea Thunder'. The bands on the edges are a lot darker than 'Captain Kirk'. The centers are much brighter as well-they almost glowed in the shade. There's a third color on the leaf that's very pronounced, although for some reason it's not very noticeable in my picture. It was my favorite that I saw yesterday. Really a knock-out!

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 13:02

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don B.-I figured that's what you meant. ;)

Idiothe-I went out and checked, and the new leaves on my 'Spritzer' are subtly streaked. I wonder why I never noticed it?

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

flower- frenzy
    McTavish sent me the exact picture of her sister being in the same greenhouse. Another of a couple bills she showed what Judy spent and one picture that cerrtainly was a surprise and pleasure to see.. It was her husband pushing the cart that was loaded to the sky with hosta.36 of them in total, unless she went back for the 5th time in 6 days.. Way to go Judy and now..... I won't show anyone your bill. WHERE TO PUT THEM ? Your yard is already full

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow, give me 10 minutes and a few c-notes in that greenhouse. Looks like a small slice of hosta paradise.

Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd be too ashamed to show anyone how much I've spent on plants this year alone. She's brave to be so up front about it! Lol.

I wish I had more room in my yard, then again maybe it's better that I don't. I have to be really selective now days unless I want to get rid of something or I have a spot that needs replacing because something bit the dust. I just don't have any more room. I refuse to do what I've done in the past and overcrowd everything. Then, the inevitable happens and I have to get rid of stuff anyway...and it's a lot harder to do after I've spent a year or two cultivating the plant. Best not to overcrowd in the first place.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don B-The entrance feels like walking past the pearly gates! It's huge!!! You can tell by how small the people at the other end look.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Yes, it is nice and loooong...And that's part of the sales area, right?

Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's the greenhouse part of the sales area. Surplus is behind and in back. They also have another sales area with various other types of plants, such as some sedums, shrubs, heuchera etc. It's a very large place. I think they have over 600 varieties of hosta in their catalog this year, and most if not all are also available for purchase at the nursery. They sell over 100 varieties of ferns plus many epimedium. Most of the ferns are also available on site as well.

They also have a ton of the newer varieties of hosta in another greenhouse that they'll be adding to their sales area every year. They get the tc from various sources, but Kirk shared with me that it's their policy not to sell them until they reach a certain size. Usually around gallon size or slightly under. He's worried about their reputation and doesn't want baby plants croaking on people, which is understandable.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 1:17

• User
    10 years ago

Sorry. I had two windows of the forum open at once and then could not remember where I'd posted, and it was the wrong spot.

When we take a long trip across country via Amtrak, seems like a good idea to visit all the northern tier hosta gardens, maybe the nurseries too? And ship them all home at one time ...only.....well, I have slowed down myself in acquiring, have to be more selective from a practical viewpoint. Guess I could hire out some neighboring space....hmmmmm.

Sebright is really worth checking out. Haven't ordered from them, but of course it would be mail order unless I dropped in during a road trip..

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 11:06

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi mocc. I think you meant your post to go over on the thread about HVX?? Lol.

Edited to say mocc edited the previous post-so this post no longer makes any sense. Lol. :)

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 19:24

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Flower-Frenzi - I placed an order with Seabright over the telephone. Initially no one answered the phone so I hung up, but Jim returned my call a few minutes later. They shipped their hostas bear root. I ordered On Stage and Katherine Lewis because they are supposed to be very sun tolerant and Fujibotan for its beautiful flowers. I mentioned that one of their customers posted photos of their gardens on the Hosta Forum and they were very pleased to hear that.

DD

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DD-I'm glad you found an easier way to order than printing out the order form and mailing it in. You'll be glad that you ordered from them. They have great plants. I have 'On Stage' and 'Katherine Lewis' and they both are sun tolerant here in Vancouver, WA.

Mocc-that'd be one long road trip for you indeed! Maybe you can find someone over this way that's traveling your way and beg them to fill up their car for you. Lol.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Being frugal, Zilis named them Mojito and Cerveza and marketed them.

==>>> yeah.. thats one way to put it ....

he would name his left shoe.. if he could get away with it ...

ken

ps: maybe we could name a few dozen more SS clones ....