Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Incredible "Invincible"

Posted by BChosta 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 18:24

This is one of the most reliable hostas that I grow.

Originally purchased several years ago, it increased very rapidly, so I was able to divide it to place it in mirror clusters, located in the corners of my back deck (along with Fire and Ice and Great Expectations). Although, the arrangements of pots that I put together change from month to month, year to year - this particular grouping has remained consistent.

2013:
 photo 235_zpsfbfea0a7.jpg

2014:
 photo 2014-08-01204416_zps11053b5b.jpg

photo 2014-08-03150154_zpsd047b1c4.jpg

photo 2014-08-03150209_zpsb8be7b4c.jpg

Unfailingly steadfast for me, this shiny, strong growing hosta is definitely a super stalwart in my garden!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Incredible "Invincible"

• Posted by mbug 6 NJ (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 18:29

LIKE!

o

I have one I've had for several years. It looks better this year than it's ever looked. It goes down in a hurry after it blooms, though.

bk

o

What ever you are doing , you have done it right. That is absolutely beautiful. I have one but now I will have to go check how it is doing but I am sure it is not as well as yours as it never made me go WOW! Going out to check

Nope but It is not too bad for the second season but not even close to looking as good as yours is. Incredible indeed.

o

Your Invincible is really a beautiful plant. It's gorgeous, actually. You should take a photo of it alone against a contrasting color and send it to Bob at the Hosta Library. It looks better than any other one there. Bevie's is nice, but it's a smaller plant. It would also be nice to see more container grown hosta in the library.

bk

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 21:17

Invincible has been with me since before the turn of the century. What a wonderfully reliable plant that always pleases. It is the first one up every year here for me.

-Babka

o

Outstanding!

o

Invincible has been with me since before the turn of the century.

-->>> what century??? .. lol

OP ... you know its fragrant.. right???

i was surprised you failed to mention it ...

ken

o

Ken,
I'm not bothered about the flowers on hosta - I usually remove them. Invincible should be flowering about now actually, but as the posted pictures show, they've all been snapped off! What a philistine!!!
BC

o

i should have spotted them missing ...

but why on a fragrant plant???

crikey

ken

BTW: its know to be one of the biggest slug magnets in the universe ... when planted in mother earth ... often suggested that its name is contraindicative to itself...

o

One of the nicest I've seen. Good work!

Don B.

o

All three beautifully grown! Biggest and "bestest" Invincible I've ever seen! I'm convinced I NEED one! Definitely a WOW hosta.

o

Oh, I didn't realize you don't have one, Jo. Don't know why I would assume you did. But yes, I'd say "need" is the word. Yeah, you need one. : )

Don B.

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 10:07

My invincible looked pretty good this year before the latest hailstorm. I do think this hosta won't look good in every garden, as the leaves are quite thin.

2014 Invincible in late July photo HostaInvincible2014-0731.jpg

o

Eleven, what a lovely specimen...with nary a slug hole! I just noticed yours has more noticeable piecrusting than BC's...my Candy Dish comes to mind, but only momentarily.

Don, you DO have a great memory. What you likely remember is that I have a family member, Sweet Bo Peep. I still need an Invincible to keep an eye out for the small SBP...AND it's a fragrant and you know I love those! :-)

Jo

o

For all the comments and compliments - thanks!

Eleven, that's a lovely, eyecatching Invincible - pristine, and I love the wavy ruffles too!

BC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here