Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delawaredonna

Grape Fizz fizzled!!

DelawareDonna
10 years ago

What happened??? After waiting in great anticipation all season for Grape Fizz to bloom, the buds are dropping to the ground and not opening up. The plant has been healthy and beautiful all summer. Go figure!

DD

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 22:14

Comments (20)

• User
    10 years ago

I am so sorry, DD. Could it be a matter of a dry spell? Or is it the plantaginea heritage similar to Aphrodite, which refuses to open on occasion.

Mine here shown in a similar state to yours.

And since we had rain galore, and there was sunshine most mornings, mine opened its blooms. One of my two bloomed anyway. Taken right at sunset

Then I had Poseidon with fat white buds looking to open any day.....it went dry on us, and the buds failed to open too.
    This shot from when I had hopes to see and smell the white blossoms....sadly, it was not to be.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Same thing with my Fujibotan. Three nice scapes & the blooms don't open. Read that this can be a problem with Fujibotan in an old post. Chris from Hallson's chimed in saying that they're just duds, that something goes wrong in tissue culture. Could be the same thing going on with Grape Fizz, you think??

If you got it directly from the Solbergs at Green Hill, then I would email them and see what they have to say. Or even if you didn't get it from them, I think that I'd still get in contact with them because they ought to know...or would want to know.

• User
    10 years ago

With my Fujibotan, I had six scapes. The first three opened and bloomed beautifully. The last three did not open. Mine looked beautiful and still does. I think in the case of Grape Fizz it was perhaps weather. And I think the high heat and the constant rain for its bloom period, Fujibotan did not have time to mature all the scapes before heat and humidity did a number on the last three scapes before they could develop.

Here are a couple of Fujibotan shots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's Fujibotan

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moc and ci-lantro - My plant gets morning sun, and we've had adequate amounts of rain; and it has not been unbearably hot so maybe this is just an off season for it for some reason. I didn't know that buds occasionally do not bloom on hosta, and I see that you both have experienced the same problem with Fujibotan and Grape Fizz.

I did purchase the plant from Bob Solberg, and I was planning on sending him a photo of a large Grape Fizz in bloom for the Hosta Library. I will check with him and see what he has to say about this.

Thanks for you input. I'm not feeling quite so bummed out now.

DD

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

It's so cool that this generation is appreciating hostas flowers instead of cutting off those ugly plant health stealing scapes!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

solberg does not run the library

ken

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow, beautiful flowers!

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Donna, how large are those 'Grape Fizz' blossoms? Are they as large or larger than those of 'Fried Bananas'?

Thanks,
    Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don - Here's Fried Bananas blooms for comparison. If size matters, I would say that Grape Fizz packs more of a punch. The buds are more compact and the flowers more heavily substanced in my opinion. They are both fragrant so I think that Grape Fizz would appeal to you. Its leaves are also very heavily substanced. In terms of looks, I think Grape Fizz is more unique, but they are both beautiful.

On the negative side, Grape Fizz is a very late bloomer and the weather has more of an impact on its performance. In general, what is the weather like in Colorado in September?

DD

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm throwing in a before photo for good measure. I love the subtlety of the coloring.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks, Donna. In general, temps in my area of Colorado in September are hot and dry, high 80s low 90s. At this moment it's 88 degrees. The fragrants are still blooming here, they haven't used up all their blossoms yet.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

And yes, DD, 'Grape Fizz' is one I would certainly get. I've always liked the look of plantaginea-related hosta, and the fact most of them have a very detecable scent just adds to the appeal for me. Plus, those flowers on 'Grape Fizz' Even the unopened buds look cool, like some sort of edible fruit. Looking at them, I'm craving grapes/cherries now. : )

Don B.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Not wanting to sound negative,DD,but you do know we grow hostas for their foliage,don't you? Flowers are just an added bonus,but the vast majority of hosta flowers are just not that interesting. Phil

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wanting to sound positive, Phil, there have been several ongoing topics on growing fragrant hosta. So there is an interest in growing hosta for their beautiful flowers and fragrance. (For instance, Bruce and his stand of Aphrodite). To their benefit, many of the "plain jane' greenies produce beautiful flowers (Ventricosa, Grape Fizz, Fujibotan, etc), and that the reason people purchase these plants.

For most, it is definitely all about the foliage and that's good. I appreciate both aspects. I wouldn't dream of cutting off their heads, though, and that's my prerogative.

• User
    10 years ago

I'm glad you mentioned the greenies, Donna. Yes indeed, there is the fragrance. Then there is the size, shape, color, and time of bloom also involved with the flowering.

The flowers are an inconvenience for many, which is why they cut them off. I am not criticizing any approach to growing hosta. BUT, I think that the flowers on most are not "spectacular" because they ARE breeding for leaf and not flower.

IF flowering beauty were an objective of a breeding program, as the leaf has been, I'm sure we'd wind up with something truly prized.

Many a North American native flower with a small flower,turns into something with gigantic blooms ...because they were breeding for the flowers. As an example of this, I give you the phlox. Also, the althea or Rose of Sharon has many excellent blooming varieties where once it was a simple hardy shrub.

When there is a demand for the hosta flowers, the nursery trade will supply them in its sales list--if rare, then costly. Until then, it is up to the hobby grower to choose the pretty flowering varieties or species, and to do what we can to promote better looking flowers, with fragrance being a part of it. (If we wish.)

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moc - I find it interesting that when I go online and they described the characteristics of a hosta that they always say say that the hosta is topped off with lavender or white flowers, fragrant, prolific bloomer, etc; and there are often lists of fragrants. This leads me to believe that the flowers/fragrance might be an incentive for purchasing a hosta for some folk and there is a place in their garden for them - although not the majority as you describe. I agree that it is all about the foliage for most collectors.

DD

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I don't cut off the flowers,DD,but I feel I must explain that I can't smell flowers,or anything else,for that matter. Never have been able to smell anything except really strong things like ammonia. Perfume is wasted on me,so my wife doesn't use it. Just my own problem,so don't judge me. I have no problem tasting food,however. TMI,I know! Lol! Phil

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Phil - Please don't think I'm being judgmental. I can see why you might not appreciate the flowers now. I'm so glad you're not color blind. Lol! All I'm saying is that with a name like 'Grape Fizz', this hosta is not about its foliage; its about the flower, thus, my disappointment when the flowers didn't open up and my reason for posting the topic for some answers.

DD

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Even if they weren't fragrant, 'Grape Fizz' flowers are really cool!

Even though I obviously love some flower varieties on hosta, I grow them for foliage; In my opinion, the best foliage of any plants, period!

Don B.