Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dovetail_gw

Save my hosta? (Also posted on name that plant)

Dovetail
10 years ago

Ok guys! I was hoping this poor guy would perk up over the summer, but he just didn't. It was here when we moved in and it looks like it was eaten and never grew more than two leaves this summer. When I dug it up I wanted to wash the roots incase there was something nasty going on. Well a huge clump of brown dry roots fell away (maybe from an older plant that was there?) and all the hosta had was a bulb and a long tap root with some smaller roots. The bulb had these hair looking things on it too.

Anyhow, can some one give me a hand ?

This is also posted on the name that plant forum since I wast sure what type of hosta it is.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (16)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Can't see your photo. ;-(

-Babka

• Dovetail
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:314283}}

Here Are the images, I always have issues with images!

I have since potted it in some quick drain soil (left overs from some lavender I potted for a bit) and gave it a decent watering with some fertilizer. In the root image there is a long healthy root ~3" long but it's off the shot.

This post was edited by Dovetail on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 22:03

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

Well, I never keep the same soil from a different plant. You just never know what diseases or germs the plant may have had. It looks to me like the roots are mushy and rotted. If the crown looks OK and some roots are OK you might have a chance. Get some new soil and with the food and fertilizer already in it. Remove the mushy, rotted part of the roots and try to start over. Also clean out the pot with bleach and rinse it really good BEFORE trying to put NEW soil in it and repot it. If it doesn't die, I'd say it has a shot.

• Dovetail
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The poor guy was in the ground before, so the pot is ok. I guess I'll just leave it in the pot and see how it does.

Can hostas grow indoors? I just wonder how it'll fare the winter in a pot.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

If the crown still feels firm, not mushy, it should recover in a pot with great drainage. You can look up several threads about overwintering in pots...just put it in an unheated shed or tip it on its side. Indoors will be too warm for its dormant period. Be sure the crown is not too deep, since you are already fighting rot. Oh, and hold off on the fertilizer for now...

Now the real issue at hand! That little fighter won't be looking impressive for a couple years at least. Browse the forum and tell us which dozen hostas you'll be buying in the mean time!! :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

there is no way to ID this plant...

as we can not guess as to eventual size ..

this could be an anemic giant hosta..

or one with the leaf size you show ....

and there are hundreds of varieties.. in between those 2 sizes.. green with a yellow edge ....

ken, of a thousand hosta ....

ps: i have never been able to save a hosta in that condition ...

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Looking at the soil and white up the stems - this one was planted very deep. Good if it was a tulip....

Paul

• Dovetail
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, well I'll leave it be then, and pull its crown a bit higher as I do have it a bit deep in the pot. It was VERY deep in the garden, I used a regular shovel to dig it out. It was hard and the root wasn't squishy so I guess we'll just wait and see!!

In the mean time, what types do you all reccomend that get to a medium size?

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Rather than medium, what do you consider the best sized hosta for you in inches? (Keep in mind that they will continue getting bigger and bigger around if not disturbed, but not taller.)

bk

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

If you don't have a June - add it to list to get.

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'June' is a great hosta...I'd like to try and enable you further by showing you 'Lakeside Kaleidoscope'. Not a big hosta, mine is in a little too much sun, so it's burned a bit. Still beautiful, IMO...Welcome to the forum.

Regards,
    Don B.
    Westminster, CO.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Wolverine' is a good grower, also is generally a small/medium.

Don B.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Oh, I just dare you to start browsing some of the "favorites" lists around here! :) June is a mustmustmust have, and also Touch of Class. I also love Great Expectations, but it has a reputation for being finicky...mine is a 3-4 eye, first year in my garden. Rainforest Sunrise is also a looker!

Love the black nail polish...it's excellent soil-under-the-nails camouflage! :)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Oh yeah, 'Rainforest Sunrise'! Good choice, Jadie. Talk about a beautiful small plant.

We're here to help! : )

Don B.

• Dovetail
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the soft blueish look of the June, I think the rainforest sunrise looks pretty too, my husband would like it. He loves color (like purple and blue aren't colors) where do you guys recommend buying from?

I like the verigation on the lakeside too! Oh no... I hear my wallet crying.

Also yeah! My polish is terribly chipped though.

This post was edited by Dovetail on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 22:37

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hallson Gardens, Green Mountain Hostas, Naylor Creek and Bridgewood Gardens are the first four that come off the top of my head, as far as good places to acquire hosta mail-order. There are quite a few others that are good, too...I'm sure there will be other members along to add to the list...

Don B.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz