Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weekendweeder

Mis-tagged hosta

weekendweeder
11 years ago

I got three of these at the dreaded Lowe's last year, when I was just starting out hosta gardening and hadn't yet found my way here to know better. They were tagged Fragrant Bouquet, but as I learned from Ken in Jan.ON's FB thread, they aren't FB.

With flower:

The green on these is not apple green like Fragrant Bouquet, but neither is it as dark as Francee or Patriot (both of which I have).

Thanks for any help!

Comments (20)

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

Queen Josephine maybe? Go USA Paula

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

definitely not the near white flower of FB.. did i miss that in the other post ??? and i bet its not fragrant.. but if it is.. that info will help ...

is that bloom today .. this weekend???

moonlight??

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• User
    11 years ago

Nope, do not think it is Queen Josephine. This is my QJ in late June:

Just wondering what color the petioles are? The scape is barely above the leaves too, and a decided lavender bloom.
    Does the white margin go down the sides of the petioles? Is there any red or black on the petioles near the crown?

You bought it just this year? Okay, let's see, most of the hosta sold in the box stores are not fancy new varieties, so this has to be commonly available....

Nice color, by the way.

• weekendweeder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken, these started blooming in early July and continue to be in bloom. This is from last weekend:

Sadly, the flowers aren't fragrant. I bought three of these because I wanted a drift of fragrant hosta!

mocassin, the petioles are plain old green. From earlier this spring:

I would add that the edges are eye-catchingly white, rather than creamy or yellow, like Queen Josephine's margins seem to be.

• i-like-to-grow
    11 years ago

Looks like h. green gold... Upright and lavender flowers this time of year...
    John

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

I don't care what the color is,it still looks like Francee to me. Hostas grow differently in different types of soil. No way is it Queen Josephine. QJ is very shiny. Phil

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Surely not Queen Josephine. She is shiny!

-Babka

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I think Phil has it right. After all he frequents Lowes so he should know. :~)

Steve

• irawon
    11 years ago

Hi.

John, I don't think it's h. Green Gold' because the margin is uneven.

Here's a pic of my Francee (5 years in my garden). Unless the difference in the green is due to a difference in light conditions, I don't think the NOID is Francee either.

Have a look at h. 'Moonlight' at Fransen Hostas. I think Ken might be right.

• irawon
    11 years ago

BTW I took the pic of Francee today.

• weekendweeder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mocassin, I took a closer look at the petioles, and I was wrong: the white edges DO go down the petioles. I'd never really looked before!

Ken, the flowers are all done now, btw, so I guess it's a July bloomer here in my zone 5. Both it and Francee are done blooming. Francee is darker, but it's in a different bed, so perhaps Phil's right?

I dunno. All these green and whiteys are making my head spin!

• Cindy Johnston
    11 years ago

Could it be Frosted Jade? As I recall one of the local big box stores sold that one a couple of years ago, don't remember if it was Lowes or Meijers though.
    Cj

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

I don't believe it is Francee. The vp count is wrong. Francee is supposed to have 10. These look like they have 5-6. Can you confirm that and leaf sizes WEW?

A while back I did an exhausting search for the ID of what I was told by daughter Lorrie was Allen P. McConnell and I came up with Summer Fragrance, but got a headache doing it on greenies with narrow white margins.

Les

• weekendweeder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really appreciate all the replies, guys.

So far, possibilities are Francee, Moonlight, and Frosted Jade. I think Moonlight is more yellow than what I have. And it seems like I won't know if it's Frosted Jade till it matures more and gets a tightly rippled edge (or not).

Thanks, Les, for chirping in. Here is the NOID leaf size, about 6.5" (hard to hold the tape measure and camera at the same time):

And a close up for the vein count. I count 7 vein pairs (if I'm doing it right).

For comparison, here is Francee's leaf size (6 in.):

And vein count, I count 8 on the left side and 7 on the right, but I'm not sure:

If my 'Francee' ends up not being 'Francee' I'm going to give up any hope of correctly labeling all my green and whiteys!

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

I am still VERY new at all of this . . . and it may show in my suggestion . . . but the leaf shape, size, and uneven narrow margin look like Fire Opal to me.

I know we all think of the parchment color typical of Fire Opal (esp at this time of year) but could it be if this is Fire Opal it does not get enough light to blanch ?

Sorry, I had to take a shot. I love when people link their NOID. It is always so much fun to try and figure out what it is.

I would have never found all of you guys/gals if it weren't for my Elegans NOID.

Fwiw,

Ludi :O)

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

How about Crowned Imperial - anyone seen this at lowe's recently.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: pic search - Crowned Imperial

11 years ago

Lowe's? I know Lowe's. They want to get me an apron I spend too much time there. I went outside and shot these last night. I still support the Francee or Queen Josephine theory. LOL I got both of these this year. Paula Go USA

11 years ago

Sorry I do not know how to post multiple photos yet

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Another 'Crowned Imperial' new this spring.
    Jan

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

From my experience, you have about a 1 in 5 chance of your hosta actually being what they say it is at Lowe's.

I'm going with the Francee or Crowned Imperial theory. First, you original photos look lighter than the photos you posted later, which look greener. Second, it's still a young plant, so vein count can still be off. Third, when my Francee was young, it was lighter. Now, it's more blue like Blue Angel.

I'm with Phil, it just looks like Francee to me. (Crowned Imperial looks very similar, shares a heritage with Francee, but is larger.) They are commonly available.

bkay

My Francee in it's second year.
    {{gwi:1074791}}