Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mis-tagged hosta

Posted by weekendweeder 5A NY (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 19:00

I got three of these at the dreaded Lowe's last year, when I was just starting out hosta gardening and hadn't yet found my way here to know better. They were tagged Fragrant Bouquet, but as I learned from Ken in Jan.ON's FB thread, they aren't FB.

Fragrant Bouquet

With flower:

Photobucket

The green on these is not apple green like Fragrant Bouquet, but neither is it as dark as Francee or Patriot (both of which I have).

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mis-tagged hosta

Queen Josephine maybe? Go USA Paula

o

definitely not the near white flower of FB.. did i miss that in the other post ??? and i bet its not fragrant.. but if it is.. that info will help ...

is that bloom today .. this weekend???

moonlight??

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Nope, do not think it is Queen Josephine. This is my QJ in late June:
Hosta 'Queen Josephine'

Just wondering what color the petioles are? The scape is barely above the leaves too, and a decided lavender bloom.
Does the white margin go down the sides of the petioles? Is there any red or black on the petioles near the crown?

You bought it just this year? Okay, let's see, most of the hosta sold in the box stores are not fancy new varieties, so this has to be commonly available....

Nice color, by the way.

o

Ken, these started blooming in early July and continue to be in bloom. This is from last weekend:

Photobucket

Sadly, the flowers aren't fragrant. I bought three of these because I wanted a drift of fragrant hosta!

mocassin, the petioles are plain old green. From earlier this spring:

Photobucket

I would add that the edges are eye-catchingly white, rather than creamy or yellow, like Queen Josephine's margins seem to be.

o

Looks like h. green gold... Upright and lavender flowers this time of year...
John

o

I don't care what the color is,it still looks like Francee to me. Hostas grow differently in different types of soil. No way is it Queen Josephine. QJ is very shiny. Phil

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 23:20

Surely not Queen Josephine. She is shiny!

-Babka

o

I think Phil has it right. After all he frequents Lowes so he should know. :~)

Steve

o

Hi.

John, I don't think it's h. Green Gold' because the margin is uneven.

Here's a pic of my Francee (5 years in my garden). Unless the difference in the green is due to a difference in light conditions, I don't think the NOID is Francee either.

Have a look at h. 'Moonlight' at Fransen Hostas. I think Ken might be right.

o

BTW I took the pic of Francee today.

o

mocassin, I took a closer look at the petioles, and I was wrong: the white edges DO go down the petioles. I'd never really looked before!

Fragrant Bouquet

Ken, the flowers are all done now, btw, so I guess it's a July bloomer here in my zone 5. Both it and Francee are done blooming. Francee is darker, but it's in a different bed, so perhaps Phil's right?

I dunno. All these green and whiteys are making my head spin!

o

Could it be Frosted Jade? As I recall one of the local big box stores sold that one a couple of years ago, don't remember if it was Lowes or Meijers though.
Cj

o

I don't believe it is Francee. The vp count is wrong. Francee is supposed to have 10. These look like they have 5-6. Can you confirm that and leaf sizes WEW?

A while back I did an exhausting search for the ID of what I was told by daughter Lorrie was Allen P. McConnell and I came up with Summer Fragrance, but got a headache doing it on greenies with narrow white margins.

Les

o

I really appreciate all the replies, guys.

So far, possibilities are Francee, Moonlight, and Frosted Jade. I think Moonlight is more yellow than what I have. And it seems like I won't know if it's Frosted Jade till it matures more and gets a tightly rippled edge (or not).

Thanks, Les, for chirping in. Here is the NOID leaf size, about 6.5" (hard to hold the tape measure and camera at the same time):

Photobucket

And a close up for the vein count. I count 7 vein pairs (if I'm doing it right).

Fragrant Bouquet vein count

For comparison, here is Francee's leaf size (6 in.):

Francee leaf size

And vein count, I count 8 on the left side and 7 on the right, but I'm not sure:

Francee vein count

If my 'Francee' ends up not being 'Francee' I'm going to give up any hope of correctly labeling all my green and whiteys!

o

I am still VERY new at all of this . . . and it may show in my suggestion . . . but the leaf shape, size, and uneven narrow margin look like Fire Opal to me.

I know we all think of the parchment color typical of Fire Opal (esp at this time of year) but could it be if this is Fire Opal it does not get enough light to blanch ?

Sorry, I had to take a shot. I love when people link their NOID. It is always so much fun to try and figure out what it is.

I would have never found all of you guys/gals if it weren't for my Elegans NOID.

Fwiw,

Ludi :O)

o

How about Crowned Imperial - anyone seen this at lowe's recently.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: pic search - Crowned Imperial

o

Lowe's? I know Lowe's. They want to get me an apron I spend too much time there. I went outside and shot these last night. I still support the Francee or Queen Josephine theory. LOL I got both of these this year. Paula Go USA

o

Sorry I do not know how to post multiple photos yet

o

Another 'Crowned Imperial' new this spring.
Jan

H. 'Crowned Imperial'

o

From my experience, you have about a 1 in 5 chance of your hosta actually being what they say it is at Lowe's.

I'm going with the Francee or Crowned Imperial theory. First, you original photos look lighter than the photos you posted later, which look greener. Second, it's still a young plant, so vein count can still be off. Third, when my Francee was young, it was lighter. Now, it's more blue like Blue Angel.

I'm with Phil, it just looks like Francee to me. (Crowned Imperial looks very similar, shares a heritage with Francee, but is larger.) They are commonly available.

bkay

My Francee in it's second year.
unknown hosta 4

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here