Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostamanphil

Hosta Library Photo Contest Pics are Posted

hostamanphil
10 years ago

The Hosta Library had a photo contest a month or so ago. All of the pics that were submitted are now posted at the HL. Check them out. Phil

Comments (23)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Here's a cool new one. It's called Billfold a seedling by Kathie Sisson that won the best seedling prize at First Look this year. Cool plant. Post one you like.

Steve

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Swamp Thing' looks like a winner.

Don B.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

OK, how did you guys do that. I wanted to post a picture of Corn Muffins as I feel a case of bumply coming on.

Beverly

Aha, so thats how you did it, Thanks

This post was edited by BeverlyMN on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 6:53

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

like Billfold a lot !

• User
    10 years ago

Hey!
    Where are they posted?
    Is there a spot where we can see just the contest winners?
    Or do we go from A to Z and hope for the best? :)

Also, I want to mention that if you check for a hosta that is NOT THERE, you may still DONATE the picture you took to the Hosta Library. It may or may not be used, but it will help out.
    Be sure to include the information about your hosta, how you got it, from whom, and then the facts about the originator, year registered or if NR (not registered) and such as that. This helps to verify that your pictures are what they claim to be. Audit trail, or provenance if you will.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Moc - Go to the Hosta Library site and click on entrants for a list of winners.

DD

• User
    10 years ago

Well, I found out what I wanted to know.
    And here is one that I totally must have SOON////
    Flamenco Dancer....Look at the vase shape, the purple pets, the ruffles .....question: is it fertile?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Lookee this one...Arthur Wrede names this one 'Almost' because...well, he ALMOST reached his goal...

From The Hosta Library...
    "Arthur has always said that this is his best plant so far in his quest for red-leaved hostas. At the age of 80 he's still working towards those red leaves, and we won't be surprised if he someday names a plant 'Finally'!

Very cool plant.

Don B.

EDIT: Edited to add clearer pic.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 23:30

• User
    10 years ago

And then this one. About the most unique I've seen. Would love to see it in person, growing somewhere.

Red Back Tavern

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Bumpity Bump'

EDIT: Edited to add clearer pic.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 23:32

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

Barbara, it would appear as if Bob hasn't yet incorporated the new varieties into the library, just added the additional pictures to cv's already in the library. That in and of itself is a fairly substantial task, particularly for a labour of love!!! Kudos to Bob! I'm looking forward to him making the new additions, so I can update my hosta-compare routine.....

Pieter

• nutmeg4061
    10 years ago

Beverly, just save the pic you want to post from there, to your desktop. Then, upload it to your post as you would one of your own photos.

This is THE most mature pic of WHEEE! I've ever seen. Oooooh, can't wait til mine gets bigger! Looks like it needs some Italian dressing and croutons!

• nutmeg4061
    10 years ago

Really intrigued by this one. Wonder if Bull Frog and Wally's Bullfrog are the same? Regardless, I love them both!

• User
    10 years ago

Thanks, Pietertje, I know you are right. I do not know how he keeps up with things as it is. New hosta need a total new file, and the existing files need additions to them. It is hard to imagine keeping everything up in the air at once.

I used to be a librarian and thought it would be easy-peasy if a computer did everything, but since have learned that a computer can only do what it is told to do.

I'll have to talk with someone about how the library started, and how it is managed, there must be an expense absorbed by someone to maintain such a database and the bandwidth required for so many users. What would we do without it!

I've had some correspondence with Bob over the last month, and caught a glimpse of the verification someone must do when a picture is accepted and identified as a specific hosta. Another layer of work for him.

My hat is off to BobAX......and I never thought about the new additions affecting your comparisons....wheels keep turning .

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Hi - I'm happy to say that I won a $25 gift certificate from Land of the Giants as my prize in the photo contest ('Goodness Gracious' here I come). But most of all, I'm thrilled and honored that my photos of 'Awakening Angel' and 'Grape Fizz' were accepted into the Hosta Library for all my friends and family to see; and that they will be used as a resource for identification.

DD

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Nice work, Donna! Congratulations!!

Don B.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Flamenco Dancer is amazing! Wonder who has it? Quick search gave me nothing.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

The list of entrants says that the letters DR which appear after the picture's name stand for Doug Ruff. I'm guessing that Flamenco Dancer is Doug's creation. What a beauty!

Steve

• User
    10 years ago

And I LOVE the way Wheee! looks in its new picture.

Mine was growing roots into the soil beneath its pot. So I repotted it yesterday. Just in time, since we had a great amount of rain today. Now it should be ready for next year! If mine should be looking like that picture above, I'll be smiling all day long.

• User
    10 years ago

Ah, my email sorted backwards, missed Donna's post.
    Good news on all fronts with the three different hosta. You grow lovely hosta and the garden benefits your community.
    Congrats on being a contributor to the Hosta Library.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

DelawareDonna...Huge C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! !
    :-)

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

DelawareDonna - well done. You will love your plant from LOG. I myself also won a gift certificate from In the Country. I will be putting in an order this winter for sure.

Cyn427 - Your right. That's a spectacular hosta. If they manage to TC that one we all will be putting it on our lists

Beverly

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Beverly - Congratulations are in order for you, too! LOG has hostas I haven't seen on other sites and quite a few that are not for sale now. Decisions, decisions, eh!

DD