Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timhensley_gw

Went sport fishing and this is what I found.

timhensley
10 years ago

Sagae is sporting. Probably to an all gold form. I've had an all gold form before and it failed to thrive and eventually disappeared. In speaking to a couple of growers they both told me they had all gold forms of Sagae at different times and they all failed after being separated from mom. Here's hoping this will be something different.

Comments (18)

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Interesting,now if you could just tell upside down,from right side up! Phil

• timhensley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What do you mean Phil?

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Wow...some dramatic sporting there! I hope you keep us posted.

Did you post from an Apple device? If so, the photo probably appears upside down for many forum users. (Looks fine to me since I'm on my iPad) Apparently it is a common problem, frustrating for readers because they get a sore neck from stilted pics, and frustrating for i-device users because we don't know if its wrong until the complaints start rolling in. It's the reason I rarely post photos...I'm afraid of failure! :)

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

I understand Phil. And when Theresa understands, it can be scary Tim. I can't figure out the background which seems a reflective surface showing house parts and whatever. It is playing games with my senses Yet there is no reflection of the underside of the hosta, which would be a clever way of viewing both upper and lower leaf surfaces. Could you explain all the things we see? If we are seeing through glass it would appear by the part of the house that it is upside down. Hard for me to explain when I don't understand what I am seeing. But the hosta itself, which is shown nicely and the subject of the post needs nothing better.

Your sport shows few characteristics of Sagae. The leaves are smooth land shiny, the margins not very wavy. I am not questioning you, but am just commenting on the uniqueness of the sport. I hope it survives and look forward to seeing more of it if it doesn't "go green".

Theresa

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Theresa, So true about how a young Sagae looks nothing like its future glory. Cool sporting aside, mine looks much like yours, Tim.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

OK,I'll quit complaining,if you people quit posting upside down pics! Nuff' said! Phil

• idiothe
    10 years ago

you know, Phil... I think this is right side up. I think it is shot almost directly from above loking straight down on a pot on a table... a little to the right, shooting to the left.

It does scan a little better if rotated 90 degrees to the right... but the actual axis based on the pot is a diagonal...

whatever the orientation, in this case I certainly get the point... juvenile Sagae foliage messing around a lot...

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

juvenile ... orientation ... confused.

Sounds like ... normal.

... but it's spelled 'luxury yacht'."

*another Monte Python moment*

ÃÂ.ÃÂ

dave

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I believe the Throat Wobbler Mangrove is a very poor choice for the hosta garden.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Yes, a shot from straight down, but a few objects that maybe distract the eye...Tim, I hope your plant keeps sporting, and we get a new 'Sagae' sport out of it.

LOL Monty Python! "NEE"!

Don B.

P.S. "I'm a shrubbist".

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 18:55

• User
    10 years ago

Tim, this is what they mean, even Theresa. To me, the pot is the thing, and I don't need the background to make sense. But, it seems sometimes to keep the page from spinning your brain cells around. hehehehe

• User
    10 years ago

Thinking about this confusion due to the orientation of the photo.

Did you know, ....or better I should say it this way......
    I read somewhere that during WW the Deuce, the government had women analyzing aerial reconnaisance photos because women were generally recognized as more adept (I won't say BETTER, just ADEPT) at "pattern recognition".....and could spot hidden fortifications or anomalies in the landscape? Regardless of the way they were turned or camouflaged?

Just saying.......
    yes, it's off topic, but one reason that males might be distressed or disoriented by falling down the rabbit hole where everything is backwards or upside down. I find it interesting that information I read in one place winds up with application in a totally different venue.

Like Tim, I take my pictures the best way I can to get all I want into the frame. Sometimes that plays heck with walls and floors and trees growing sideways.....I like getting tall scapes in, and that demands a diagonal placement of the plant.

But Tim, can you tell me what that brown metal-looking object is? Metal? Wicker? A lamp? A plant cloche? Do you collect antiques?

• idiothe
    10 years ago

We can be funny in our "fixedness".

During WWII, compasses were hidden in various ways for soldiers in case they needed to find their way to escape behind enemy lines. One place was inside brass buttons on uniforms. To make it less likely that they'd be discovered, they reversed the direction of the "twist" to open the button. Instead of the universal righty-tighty, lefty-loosey, they reversed it.

If you didn't know the trick, it was unlikely you'd ever try twisting it the correct direction... you would probably just keep tightening the hidded compartment more.

You can actually see some of this stuff, though not the "handedness" thing I just remember from my childhood... at a website called The Art of Manliness... yup, there is such a site! http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/11/15/man-knowledge-15-cool-spy-concealments/

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Getting back to sport fishing, in 2011 I bought this 'Sum & Substance', streaks showed it was still growing up.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

This June 2013 it looked like h.'Sum it Up'.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I received my Sagae when it already had mature looking leaves, though a small division and it had the dusty blue/green hue w golden yellow margin and wavy leaves,.... so I'm actually astonished at Tim's Sagae..never would have recognized it in a million years! I'm so with Don and hoping for yours, Tim to become a new and vigorous sport we can all get excited over. :-)
    Jo

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Tim, please answer our questions. The way Moc oriented the picture just looks more correct. But I would like to know what the different objects really are. The wicker looking thingee just is unidentifiable and I don't now if it is a reflection or under the glass.
    You are treasing us and that is not fair. I bet you are laughing your pitoti off, and we deserve it.

But your sport is fantastic and I am not sure I can trust it really is a sport of Sagae or we should take you seriously. I am usually a very perspective person but am totally confused.

But I have not doubt you have posted a picture of a hosta and a very interesting and lovely one. lol

Theresa