Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

What hosta do you have the "wants" for?

bkay2000
9 years ago

We all seem to have "a" hosta we want. Mine this year was h. Manhattan. I have a really nice one now and am looking forward to how it will look next year. Last year, it was h. Pride and Joy. I got a great one on the Speece auction, which Don sent to me this spring.

Now, I REALLY want a h. Viva Las Vegas. It's the one she has her hands on.

bk

Comments (66)

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

It's a Rick Goodenough creation. He divided it for propagation one winter and left the divisions in pots outside. All of them got crown rot. He did save a piece of healthy crown that was sent to Q&Z for tissue culture and they did get one that was sent back to him. Rick has been nursing that little one and if anyone can bring it back, he can.

Still this picture provides an on-going goal for me in hybridizing.

I'm getting closer.

Steve

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I am trying not to look at all the beautiful want lists of others but I have had Grand Marquee on my list for a couple years and still do not have so maybe next season for sure. Picture is not mine but one that made me want it so much

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Grand Marquee would look nice planted with Luna Moth.

DD

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

I am sooooo hating this thread. My "must have" list is growing with each post. Grand Marque is yet another.

Steve, if you ask me what you've accomplished is more than good enough. Should any of your seedlings become available for sale please let me know. The seedling you've created there would be a welcome addition to any garden. Especially mine!

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

DD you are so right! Luna Moth and Grand Marquee would be so nice planted together... okay, another have to get added. As they say let the games begin AGAIN! Good thing I have room for a dozen or so more now

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Olga said she almost completely lost Viva Las Vegas. She has other folks growing it for her now. She's going to see if she can get some interest in a lab producing it. It might be as long as three years before it comes to market (as of spring 2014).

She certainly grows some pretty hosta.

bk

9 years ago

She sure does bk. Have you heard anything about her Champaign Taste ever becoming available ?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Faerie Cups. It's in the library. Check it out. Maybe you'll want it, too. : )

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

H. 'Dotted Fantasy'.

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

Wolf
    Marchant
    Amazing Matthew
    Ephemeral Lace
    Summer Serenade
    Flemish Lion
    Honker Gold
    Moonstone
    Tarheel Blue
    Goldstriker
    Long Tall Sally

you asked.....

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Anything from Olga that I don't have: Manhattan, Continental Divide, Gitchigumi, Viva Las Vegas, Great Plains, Some of these are impossible to find.

Blueberry Waffles
    Big Kahuna

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now, I'm going to spend the rest of the evening looking up those "wants". Thank you, Bob Axmere.

Mac, I emailed her in the spring when I saw that picture. I wanted to know the name of that gorgeous hosta. She replied with the info. That's all I know.

Don, what is it with you and the cupped hosta? You must not have any pecan trees. That's one that qualifies for the 10' rule.

bk

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Don, be very careful with that Dotted Fantasy - just saying...

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Hostahosta, pretty sure Continental Divide was on the hosta library auction recently.

I would love to buy Wally's Bullfrog, if it ever comes available. Other than that, I don't have anything really out of reach on my want list. Blue Shadows, Purple Haze, and Sunshine Glory will probably be added to the garden next spring. Did just add Ringtail as a want and was sad that Naylor Creek was out of it :(

• User
    9 years ago

Well, I can see how someone could easily infer it was "Champagne Taste".....and end that expression
    ...."on a BEER BUDGET."

I wonder if that hosta is part of her American series...and if so what is it memorializing?

And, BKay, I haven't been able to grow Dawn's Early Light successfully, it looks so haggard, not like my pretty gold Squash Casserole. And I even have trouble with Brother Stefan, it sported possibly this year, unless it was a TC failure/oversight. That is a possibility, since it had two eyes same as the real BroStefan. And I did not have to cut the crown apart.

But, what's the question.....yeah, heaven knows I have something I want......not necessarily new either.

Atlantis
    Atomic Mama
    Birchwood Parky's Gold
    Black Mamba
    Cherokee
    Gold Regal
    Marrakech
    Vulcan

Notice some are fragrant, Atomic Mama, Black Mamba and Cherokee. But I remind myself...I am slowing down.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

The good thing about being semi-new to the hosta keeping hobby is that your want list is pretty easy to compile. :)

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Osiris Obscure
    Kathy

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Santa, it gets harder. Unless you are like Mocc and buy an extra 25 feet of garden, you run out of room and/or shade eventually. That's pretty much where I am.

My main goal the next couple of years is to cull my collection, so that I can add a few more. There are some that do well in this climate and some that don't.

Also, I'm going to start adding some smalls as most of mine are large or larger.

bk

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Amazing Matthew
    Cascading Waters
    Barn Dance

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Don in Colorado,

I was just in Rich Brown's garden a couple days ago...we were digging hostas...and I noticed 'Faerie Cups'....a nice cupper indeed!

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

mikgag, you have an interesting list. You're the first person I've seen who also yearns for Amazing Matthew. And thanks to you I now "must have" Marchant and Moonstone.

There are also some interesting Hostas you've listed that I've never heard of nor seen on the HL. A websearch also yielded nothing. Do you have a pictures of Flemish Lion and Long Tall Sally?

And Steve, after seeing your picture, who doesn't want Kathy Sisson? WOW!

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Where exactly are all of you finding these "want" hostas? Catalogs? Online sources? Clubs?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Bungalow- Probably there are numerous answers to 'where exactly are all of you finding these 'want' hostas. Sometimes it is a catalog, sometimes it is a website, sometimes it is a photo posted here on the forum, or something you have seen in person in a garden. I can guarantee that you will get the wants big time for several of the ones shown each year on the First Look Slideshow (link below). Click on the "slideshow" It is a feast for your eyes. and they have a new one every year! Oh Dear Me! ;-)

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: First Look

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

I get a lot of mine from just clicking on the names of the Hostas on the HL out of curiosity to see what they look like.

I saw the Seedy Fellows page last year and fell in love with Amazing Matthew. There are many on that site you'll probably never see but wish you could find.

Sometimes it's pictures here, too.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babka, First look 2014 has been cancelled.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Bkay- Just their meeting has been cancelled. The First Look Slide Show for 2014 is right there. That one shows up in Spring, when I get my BIG Wants.

-Babka

• User
    9 years ago

Babka, are you telling me that the First Look 14 slideshow is "right there." ....meaning "right there right NOW THIS MINUTE.?"
    Because I did not see it either. Not today. I saw that 2013 slideshow last year, and

if what I read on that page is true, they said that it was cancelled and they'd be handling the decision about the show itself and let everyone know? And, they'd see us at FirstLook15....blahblah...

At least that is what I got out of it. These things need dates on them, you know? Real world real time, not the iWorld.

But I liked the FirstLook13. The ones I'd SAVED the slides of originally, hey, I saved em again tonight! Lovely hosta and I don't think any of them are on the market yet.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Cool coincidence about Faerie Cups, Don!

Since you saw for yourself, I was wondering: Is it a small-sized hosta? Seems like it's maybe a small.

Thanks,
    Don B.

• dg
    9 years ago

Humm, Babka's link to worked for me...
    Try the link below and then:
    Click on the "continue" leaf then on each pic to see the next pic in the slide show.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to 2014 slide show

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Spent the night last night googling the hostas from that slide show. Only three I could find, Long Tall Sally (for sale soon Bridgewood), Satisfaction Streaked (bridgewood $125) and Bridal Falls (pretty much everywhere). So many "wants"! Think my list needs to be split. Common want list and a "maybe one day" list.

This post was edited by bungalowmonkeys on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 11:12

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Fairie Cups is probably a small, probably AA.

Kathy

• User
    9 years ago

DGregory, oh yes, the link works, but what you are seeing are the hosta from the FirstLook13.

Check it out. If the #6 hosta picture is
    Sport of 'Purple Rain'
    it says below it:
    "As seen at First Look 13"

...which was in 2013.

If anyone knows Kathy Sisson or Carol Brashear, I'm sure they could tell us about the FirstLook14 pictures, if the event occurred.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're right Mocc. Those hosta are from 2013. At the bottom of the page discussing the events of 2013 is a list of the winners. They are the same ones that are in the slide show.

bk

Here is a link that might be useful: discussion of first look 2013

9 years ago

Lol Kathy. Great way to size hosta leaves. Wonder if my Hosta Double D Cup will get that big?

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Oh, a few more....

Frisian Elegance
    Summer Wind
    Valley's Lemon Squash
    Whitefish Dunes

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hi Kathy...

"AA"?

Don B.

• drc215
    9 years ago

Now that I know there is a hosta called Amazing Matthew I need that one and Andrew...those are my grandson's and I might as well get Paul's Glory...DH's name. Silly reasons, I know.

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

I could not find an image of hosta Fairie Cups. It's all conjecture on my part.

Kathy

• miketropic
    9 years ago

Since I am kind of new and was not aware of the "first look" slide show someone please explain..Are these hostas going into T soon..people showing there new seedlings or products of there breeding program, pics to make you beat your head in looking for them and then there not for sale?I'm pretty sure id buy one of everything in that slide show...

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Mike- Click on the link at the Hosta Library (center of the home page) and then click around the links on the First Look webpage It explains the New England Hosta Society and how they do the First Look hosta show each year, apparently in different states, all around New England. Yes they are "pics to make you beat your head in" because they aren't available...yet. I'm guessing that that is one reason why they call the show "First Look". It is the first time the rest of the world gets to see these.

I wait with baited breath each year for the announcement that the slide show is up on the net...then I like to sit with a glass of wine, in the dark, with only the light from a 22" monitor and run the First Look Slideshow several times...peacefull lust?

-Babka

• Eleven
    9 years ago

mike, there is also usually a First Look auction on the Hosta Library auction page in the spring. They have newer (but not necessarily super new) hostas. It didn't happen this year, I assume because the First Look meeting was cancelled.

That's how I got my good-sized Alligator Alley last year, and it was only registered in 2012. Here is it now.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are all new hosta. Most are the results of breeding, not sports. They are not available anywhere yet. All are two or three years out if they take to tissue culture. Some don't. Those that don't reproduce by tissue culture well become those you beat your head against the wall trying to find.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

The 2014 auction happened this year. It is a fund raiser for the New England Hosta Society. See the link for the winners.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: First Look Auction winners 2014

• miketropic
    9 years ago

whoo with prices like that I better save up all winter! sure wish you could still see the pics of them all even though there closed..make this want thread even worse

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

If there is some confusion, here is my take on this from the Left Coast...about as far from New England as one can get.

The First Look Auction that appears online at the Hosta Library and the First Look Event with the displays and judging are two separate events. The Slide Show with new intros and super special plants comes out of the Event, which was cancelled this year. The Auction is a fund raiser that anyone can contribute to, and the proceeds all go to the New England Hosta Society, the #1 Region of the AHS.

I hope someone from that #1 region will correct me if I am mis-informed.

-Babka

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

You pretty much have it right, Babka. The exception is that Region 1 and the NEHS are separate organizations. There are a few Regional Hosta organizations like the Dixie Regional and Midwest Regional. As with the AHS these regional Hosta Societies have events that are sort of mini-conventions. Sometimes local HS like the NEHS serve as the host organization for a regional event.

The First Look Auction takes place in February and it is an online auction. The event of First Look 14 was canceled due to the main speaker canceling and the fact that the owner of the primary tour garden passed away a few months before the event was to occur. FL 15 will be back next year and the NEHS will likely host it in Marlborough, MA. You're all invited.

Steve

• hostabff
    9 years ago

Viva Las Vegas is incredible. Kathy Sisson was a terrible loss - I hope you are successful Steve.

The one I have wanted for 10 years is Glad Rags. A good friend gave me a piece and it seemed to rot in the soil....sad.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Note to self...Buy Grand Marquee and then try to make it look like Faye's : )

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Oh Don, I would love to take the credit for the beautiful Grand Marquee but sadly that is not my pictue just on my lust list! :)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Sorry Faye, too dazzled by pic, didn't read post...In other words, "duh"!

Note to self...Read more better! Still, I gotta get a Grand Marquee!!

Don B.